The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-07-2023, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Round Core Strings

Many an AGF thread has praised DR Sunbeams. Hmmm... Round vs. Hex core, huh?

I finally decided to try a set of Phosphor Bronze .013-.056 on my Martin D40.

The polished feel reminds me of the original Martin SPs I used for years and actually preferred over the new Authentic Acoustic SP.

So far so good, but even after following the tune-first-trim-later directions; tuning seemed a little more challenging. They project well, etc. I'm sure they'll settle in/stabilize. I'll know within the next day or so.

I had mentioned in a previous post that I have been unable to find any information on tension (total #pounds of tension) for these or any DR strings. The Sunbeams feel about average (185-190lbs).

Does anyone know?
Old 01-07-2023, 09:11 PM

I've also wondered about their tension, I find them normal as well, little nicer on the fi gers due to the round core.
I use the 11's or 12's, I haven't tried the 13's and I'm sure I never will, but I love Sunbeams, especially if you like to finger pick.
Old 01-07-2023, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I've also wondered about their tension, I find them normal as well, little nicer on the fi gers due to the round core.
I use the 11's or 12's, I haven't tried the 13's and I'm sure I never will, but I love Sunbeams, especially if you like to finger pick.
Hi-
Thanks for your response. .013-.056 gauge isn't for everyone or every guitar, it's true. I like them on most dreads; especially my Martins (D40, D18) and Bluegrass gauge .012-.056 on my vintage Guild (D44M). I tend to be an aggressive player and they bring out the best of those guitars.

If I recall, you have a recent Guild D40 (Guild's most popular Bluegrass Jubilee model back in the 70s). Just a great dread.
If you feel adventurous sometime, just for fun, you might be surprised at how Bluegrass strings might kick it up a notch with minimal difference in feel.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I really never thought about it. And never looked that close. I just like what I like. and play what I play

My eyes are not the best anymore, but.

I'm assuming my Rotosound Super Bronze are round core.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saddleheight.jpg (25.2 KB, 463 views)
Old 01-08-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Hi-
Thanks for your response. .013-.056 gauge isn't for everyone or every guitar, it's true. I like them on most dreads; especially my Martins (D40, D18) and Bluegrass gauge .012-.056 on my vintage Guild (D44M). I tend to be an aggressive player and they bring out the best of those guitars.

If I recall, you have a recent Guild D40 (Guild's most popular Bluegrass Jubilee model back in the 70s). Just a great dread.
If you feel adventurous sometime, just for fun, you might be surprised at how Bluegrass strings might kick it up a notch with minimal difference in feel.
You are correct, maybe I'll put some on just to say I tried them sometime but they probably won't last long, as I find lights even tiresome on the fingers sometimes!
Old 01-21-2023, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

So my first shot at DR Sunbeams on my Martin dread .. Been on a couple of weeks. I like them.. Sound great .. Feel nice.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Many AGF'ers recommend Sunbeams. So, I tried a set of mediums on my Martin dread. This is about week 3. They do sound great.

After playing some of my other guitars (with hex core PB strings) the Sunbeams feel smoother, more polished; almost coated-like. Not slick, but smooth.

I don't find them to feel a bit more flexible or lower tension (as some reviews indicated) than other strings I use (Martin MA-550, D'Addario EJ17).

Any similar experiences with Sunbeams?
Old 01-28-2023, 08:58 AM

I came of musical age playing strings wound on a round core. Initially I used to coil the strings rather than snip them off. But even though I always tuned to pitch throwing in a good tug or two, after I started cutting them I found the wound strings (particularly for some reason the G string) would start to discombobulate to the point you could slide sections of the wrap up and down the core. Finally, somebody clued me into going with the kink near the tuning post before cutting.

As to tension, strings wound on a round core do not provide appreciably less tension. If they did there would be no money in say Newtone offering Heritage strings. They do, however, tend to feel looser or more flexible especially when combined with a guitar with a short scale.

While I do prefer Newtones, I would suggest trying the round core offerings of Curt Mangan and Pyramid. And if you do not mind laying out the money there is also, of course, Thomastik Infeld.

Last edited by zombywoof; 01-28-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 09:46 AM

I personally don't feel a difference on any strings - round core vs hex, monel vs phosphor bronze, even 12's vs 13's. They all feel the same to my heavily callused and battered fingertips after decades of working with my hands doing all sorts of wrenching, wiring, plumbing, carpentry and of course playing stringed instruments.

I choose the strings I do based on sound only. When I first tried DR Sunbeams they were the best I had ever tried, and I've tried almost all the brands heretofore mentioned.

Then I tried Curt Mangan strings. Now they are the best for my guitars (and mandolins).
Old 01-28-2023, 12:31 PM

I wonder why DR hides the tension of Sunbeams.even after all these yrs Heres the collection I have:
They claim they are the same as regular strings one step up so Sunbeams 13's tension should be the same as Daddario EJ12's

Daddario EJ 12's are 160

Heritage 12's at 130 lbs. Heritage 11's are 114 lbs 13-55's have 155 lbs of tension

SUS 12's Siminof says are 150 lbs with 13's 170
SUS Lights 138.5 pounds

Round core string tension is approximately 3% less than hex core of the same gauge.

tune down by one half step to Eb. That takes a light gauge set from ~165 pounds total down to about 145 pounds total.
Old 01-28-2023, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I have used DR Sunbeams extensively and liked them.

But after trying DR Rares, I will stick with them. They really seem more pliant and easy to play than the many others I have used. Love the Monel-like (to my ears) sound.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I wonder why DR hides the tension of Sunbeams.even after all these yrs Heres the collection I have:
They claim they are the same as regular strings one step up so Sunbeams 13's tension should be the same as Daddario EJ12's

Daddario EJ 12's are 160

Heritage 12's at 130 lbs. Heritage 11's are 114 lbs 13-55's have 155 lbs of tension

SUS Lights 138.5 pounds

Round core string tension is approximately 3% less than hex core of the same gauge.

tune down by one half step to Eb. That takes a light gauge set from ~165 pounds total down to about 145 pounds total.
Nice list, mercy. Another one to add is GHS Thin Core 12-52 at 138 lb - https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-tc...-52-21585.html

They can sound awesome, are round core, and have low tension. I use them and the Newtone Heritage.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post

Daddario EJ 12's are 160

SUS Lights 138.5 pounds

This is my running list:

D’Addario phos/bronze: 166
La Bella silk and steel medium (?)
Curt Mangan round core 12s: 148 lbs
Newtone Heritage: 131 lbs
Newtone Masterclass 157 lbs
Newtone Masterclass dbl are a little higher.
SUS 12s: 146
Thomastik Infield Plectrum (?)

I tried the GHS thin core and didn’t bond with them.
If anyone has tensions for the La Bella silk and steel and the Thomastik, I would like to know them.
I may need to try the heritage 13s, I like the feel of thicker strings but dislike tension. I am going between steel and nylon guitars. Nylon is whimpifying me.

A short scale guitar will also lower the tension from roughly 4-8% depending on what you are comparing to and how short.

My current favorite is the SUS 12s, great strings. Currently I am using Newtone Heritage 12s on my 24.75” scale, 12 fret Pono 00-vs40. I like them, but they are a bit too low tension.

I want to try the Curt Mangan round core 12s next. I have Curt Mangan nylon strings on my classical and really like them a lot!
Old 01-28-2023, 05:30 PM

I've tried these in the past, and recall that they were OK.

I think round core strings are an interesting idea, but not something that's actually useful for greater ease in playing guitar. YMMV
Old 01-28-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Nice list, mercy. Another one to add is GHS Thin Core 12-52 at 138 lb - https://www.stringsbymail.com/ghs-tc...-52-21585.html

They can sound awesome, are round core, and have low tension. I use them and the Newtone Heritage.
I am auditioning a set of the GHS Thin Core PBs right now. They do sound good, and they for sure seem to have lower tension than my standard D'Addario EJ16 PB lights. If I were to settle on these strings I might need an action adjustment; either the relief has flattened under the lower tension, or I am hitting them too heavily, because they are on the edge of buzz. I like 'em.

I have two DR sets ready for the next change, the Sunbeams and the Rare.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion