The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-30-2022, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Have You Guys Heard This?

I was driving home from a gig last night, listening to the radio. I seldom listen to Country much anymore but I had a Country station on and this popped up. I thought it was tremendous.

It might be controversial in some quarters for various reasons, but I thought the writing and production were first rate.

Old 10-30-2022, 04:13 PM

Good tune. Easy to listen to. A little harder to watch.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-30-2022, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Dang! Good song. Strong video.
Old 10-30-2022, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Really well done.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-30-2022, 07:12 PM

I'm also not a country music listener but several years back I worked week-ends in a music store and kept something playing over the sound system during open hours.

I threw on a Country hits CD and found myself really liking this song by Australian singer Felicity Urquhart.

A good song is a good song.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-30-2022, 09:07 PM

Nice song........the video promotes ignorance, violence, smoking, and domestic violence. Sorry, I find it disgusting.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Gotta say...there’s nothing I liked about that song/video. Messed-up.
Old 10-30-2022, 09:41 PM

Nope, nope, nope!
Old 10-30-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Nice song........the video promotes ignorance, violence, smoking, and domestic violence...
And apparently I'm supposed to sympathize with a vigilante murder. "Production values" can't rescue all that.
OTOH, it's a tradition in folk music: Banks of The Ohio, etc.

Last edited by FrankHS; 10-30-2022 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Interesting responses, negative responses were not unanticipated.

What drew me to the song was my musician's ear. I immediately liked the guitar riff that, when it didn't waver, told me a dark subject was coming. I liked the chimey counter point to the low riff and the entrance of the female voice. I like how the intensity of the music grew and how a choir was used at the end. This was not your typical three chord butt kicker roadhouse tune, nor did it tend to the "bro Country" pseudo hip-hop trend of newer Country music. The song could have been about candy bars and I would have liked it.

But it wasn't about candy bars. It was about domestic abuse and one man's response to it. One thing I always admire about a good lyricist is the ability to convey much with an economy of words, which this guy certainly was adept at doing. He told an interesting story. But for many, it seems, he goes beyond.

The video for me is an afterthought. However it pretty much matches what I'd envisioned. But it didn't turn me into a vigilante. Or a smoker. Or an ignorant, violent person; and certainly not an abuser. Although it did not propel me to those things it did depict them. As hundreds of videos and thousands of films have in the past. Were all of these films or videos endorsing these things? Was Sylvester Stallone? Was Liam Neeson? How about Jackie Chan in The Foreigner? Those things were storytelling, as is this. The story is not always pretty.

Ours are not the final words that are going to be written about this song and video, I'm sure. But thank you to all who responded here, whether you saw things as I did or not.
Old 10-31-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Interesting responses, negative responses were not unanticipated.

What drew me to the song was my musician's ear. I immediately liked the guitar riff that, when it didn't waver, told me a dark subject was coming. I liked the chimey counter point to the low riff and the entrance of the female voice. I like how the intensity of the music grew and how a choir was used at the end. This was not your typical three chord butt kicker roadhouse tune, nor did it tend to the "bro Country" pseudo hip-hop trend of newer Country music. The song could have been about candy bars and I would have liked it.

But it wasn't about candy bars. It was about domestic abuse and one man's response to it. One thing I always admire about a good lyricist is the ability to convey much with an economy of words, which this guy certainly was adept at doing. He told an interesting story. But for many, it seems, he goes beyond.

The video for me is an afterthought. However it pretty much matches what I'd envisioned. But it didn't turn me into a vigilante. Or a smoker. Or an ignorant, violent person; and certainly not an abuser. Although it did not propel me to those things it did depict them. As hundreds of videos and thousands of films have in the past. Were all of these films or videos endorsing these things? Was Sylvester Stallone? Was Liam Neeson? How about Jackie Chan in The Foreigner? Those things were storytelling, as is this. The story is not always pretty.

Ours are not the final words that are going to be written about this song and video, I'm sure. But thank you to all who responded here, whether you saw things as I did or not.
For me, I wouldn't have known how negative this was without the video. This doesn't turn you into all the things I said, it desensitizes you to accept these as part of normal life. Give me Beatles love songs instead.
Old 10-31-2022, 04:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

It is a common theme in music. This song sold over a half-million copies in 1994 and its content wasn't considered very controversial:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-01-2022, 02:59 AM

Well that's five minutes of my life I won't get back.

A self Indulgent dirge trying to pretend that it has something to say. Truly vapid, vacuous and awful.

Last edited by Silurian; 11-01-2022 at 03:09 AM.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

I didnt care for it, myself.

Meet a stranger in a strange town, and end up with life in prison?

I suppose a song about calling the police and taking her to a shelter or family wouldnt sell, or fit a standard video format.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 11-01-2022, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

The "Hardy" song is certainly not to my taste.
i managed to find the lyrics and it is too violent/aggressive for me.
No pleasure or enlightenment in it.

Couldn't find the lyrics to the Felicity ??? song so can't comment but "I liked the backing" (elderly Brits will get that).

I sing "cowboy" songs that involve shootings - but that is just an American fairy tale.

This Hardy song is just about a part of society that I have no wish to be interested in.

Whatever Bob W put up in "unavailable" in the UK.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 11-01-2022 at 05:09 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN