The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-06-2022, 05:42 AM

Hiya everyone I've got a technical question if that's ok

If an archtop bridge on the bass side is adjusted at the thumb adjuster 5mm higher than the Treble side would anything be out? Would it be the neck that's twisted? When I looked down it it looked like it was almost front bowing on both sides with some unevenness to the board where the extension is

Played another guitar today and it had an intermittent rattle on the d string.
Comparison video from the modern masterbilt I played today with flat wounds v the 1945 triumph

https://youtu.be/eB6WYozklzo
Old 09-06-2022, 06:21 AM

The lower strings are typically a bit slacker and by definition reach a wider amplitude. It's normal that they're higher off the fretboard, IMHO.

Looking down a fretboard with the strings on is a good way to fall for all kinds of visual illusions. A quick check for neck issues is to verify relief by holding down the 2 E strings at the 1st and last fret (one by one) and looking at string clearance above the frets.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 09-06-2022, 07:17 AM

Thanks RjVB what do you think of the sound on that one?

I'd not come across that before on the bridge it seemed to play really nice on the neck but the bridge just caught my eye on it. As the bass side on the bridge was quite canted up on the thumb adjuster and treble was almost on the deck I'm guessing as well the angle of the bridge could have an impact on the thumb wheel to string height? I'll nip back tomorrow n check that on the strings going to view one more tonight all being well.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:20 AM

Got a picture sent through wasn't as bad as I remembered what do we all think?

Old 09-06-2022, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_Strat View Post
Thanks RjVB what do you think of the sound on that one?
Which one in fact?

In your latest recording the Triumph sounds a lot better to me: louder, and a less muffled sound (does it have round wound strings, I can't remember). But ... the background noise is a lot more present too so we may just be hearing a difference in recording level.

EDIT: I have dialed in much more action difference on my archtop saddle!. Strange one btw, does it have an insert (Graphech)?? From the looks of it whomever does your lefty conversion could also take quite a bit of meat off saddle and base on this one, reducing its weight and thereby improving the acoustic tone. The base also appears not to fit the top too well, though that could also be a slight amount of lean.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 09-06-2022, 10:23 AM

Thanks RJVB I'm just waiting to hear back on another one I was saying that to dad just sat listening in the car the Epiphone Triumph from 1945 had roundwounds on it today's had flats which felt really light maybe 10s or 9s, the one today had a rattle on it on the d string which sounded like it was coming from the bridge area so that lack of fit might not have been helping matters.

I noticed the muffled Ness straight away but it did have flatwounds on.

The one in the previous clips sold within 20 mins leaving the store I hadn't played enough guitars at that point to make a judgement on one drat! Between this one and one I'm hoping to go and view.

I'd love an epiphone triumph one day the clarity was unbelievable.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Got a picture sent through wasn't as bad as I remembered what do we all think?

That doesn't look too out of the ordinary.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-06-2022, 11:15 AM

Thanks Jeff just on the way to play a burst one then it's decide on colour between the natural n burst an obviously which one plays better

It was interesting how much more strident the one today sounded compared to the one a few weeks back lot more output interesting as well that the one today had flats on the other had bronze strings one I playing tonight has got 12 roundwounds on so that should be interesting.
Old 09-06-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
the one today had a rattle on it on the d string which sounded like it was coming from the bridge area so that lack of fit might not have been helping matters.
Rattles and buzzes always seem to come from there because that's where these sounds get transmitted to the top and that's also usually where the soundhole(s) is/are. It can have been saddle buzz (due to an appropriately cut saddle slot) but more likely it's good old fret buzz cause by having the action too low for a low-tension string. You'd have to move your ear real close along the fretboard, unless it's a buzz that occurs only on the open string. In that case the nut slot needs attention.

Old 09-06-2022, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone ^_^

Just got one tonight that's a sunburst masterbilt deluxe absolutely light n day tone wise 5 hour drive back home now!

I'll upload a clip tomorrow an some NGD pics

Thanks again everyone for the advice,

Lucy
Old 09-06-2022, 02:21 PM

Dads driving so had chance to edit the clip of the new guitar when I played it at the guys house

Here's my new sunburst Masterbilt Deluxe now to get a frequensator tailpeice lefty nut and a floating Charlie Christian pickup!

Thanks again everyone for all the feedback it's been very helpful also thanks to Adam Goldsmith who's a London Session guitarist who's used one for the past few years and answered all my questions on his.

https://youtu.be/OV4I-DJjdxE

https://www.pressreader.com/australi...83192968754443
Old 09-07-2022, 07:18 AM

Well a new guitar day wouldn't be a new guitar day without pictures

New lefty bone nut is on the way and I've gotta try decide on strings she's running 12's at the moment but I'm not sure what to get was thinking rotosound monels or elixir phosphor bronze? Anyone got any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Lucy

[url=https://ibb.co/ZVc0Z95]
Old 09-07-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
New lefty bone nut is on the way and I've gotta try decide on strings she's running 12's at the moment but I'm not sure what to get was thinking rotosound monels or elixir phosphor bronze? Anyone got any other recommendations?
Nice back on that one!

I'd try a set of Thomastik Spectrum 12s (SB112) on her, or their brass counterpart (Plectrum AC112). But it depends on the tonal universe you want to explore. Monel is very good if you are looking for a vintage archtop, or more exactly, jazz guitar sound. They'll bring out the mid-rangy character at the expense of the low basses. Not what I'd want when breaking in a new instrument unless that's exactly the kind of sound I'm after.

My Loar currently has the low E and A from the AC112 set, the D and G from the Spectrum 11s (SB111) which have the same tension as their AC counterparts. That gives me deep, mellow basses, a bit punchier mids with a less sudden transition to the twangier plain wire trebles. Like many I've upped the gauge of those, to a 16 B and a 13 E, just to get a rounder sound.

If you haven't ordered your nut yet you could consider a ZeroGlide (the blank, non-precut version).

Old 09-07-2022, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Oh yeah! Such a classic. Really nice - congrats!
Old 09-07-2022, 12:30 PM

Thanks RJVB an Rob I'll have a look at those strings and nuts I've got a bone one that's precut lefty for the original guage coming tomorrow from a local supplier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops