The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
...........It’s a dilemma when a really cheap guitar is the subject because the price doesn’t drop but they usually need it more...................
I used to own a auto repair shop. Customer would tell you they only paid X amount for the car when you gave them a high estimate on everything it needed to repair it.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
I have a neighbor that is a life long player that would always capo his Seagull acoustic at the first fret. I finally asked him why and he said the guitar was difficult to fret. He'd been doing that for several years.
I convinced him to let me set it up for him.
It needed nut, saddle and truss rod adjustments and had a few really flat frets. I don't think the strings had been changed since he bought it.

When I gave it back to him he couldn't believe the difference in playability and improved tone. I think some players just play the thing and don't realize guitars need adjustment and maintenance.

I have purchased 4 well used acoustic guitars. In other words, they were owned and played for at least a few years if not many more before I bought them.

All of them required moderate to more significant set ups to play well. I sometimes wonder if some of the rationale behind selling was poor playability that was actually due to poor setup.

My most recent guitar had an after market nut that was cut ok for action, but the string spacings were all different. The seller knew, but preferred the Nubone to real bone. He sent the original nut with it and I put it back in and it is fine, and spaced correctly.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:57 AM

like EZ says

They all need something.

it really doesn't matter what they are.

the ones that need the least are taylors, but,, they still need something.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-01-2023, 09:31 AM

It's always been my practice to have a pro setup on all my instruments.

I'll usually play them for a week or so prior to having my Tech work his magic and give the guitar a good, up close inspection to make sure it's not going to fall apart on me.

All of my Guitar Center purchases go through this process before the 45 day return policy expires.

There's no question, a good setup makes a world of difference!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 02-01-2023, 10:01 AM

I figure a professional knows I lot more about guitars than me, so every guitar I buy I have setup. Also, it's a good insurance that the guitar has no problems. Unfortunately, if some one pays $500 for a guitar, the setup cost is a significant as a percentage of the purchase price.

So what I say about my other hobby of old cars. Chrome and paint cost the same amount on a more expensive convertible than as a sedan, but the convertible is worth more 3X's than the sedan.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 02-01-2023, 11:35 AM

I've just mentioned in another thread about the used Takamine I bought recently. Cost me just £200 sterling. Then I spent nearly £100 on a pro set-up. Worth every penny (cent). Turned a sad wooden box into a guitar that sings.
Takamine GD30ce
Occasionally Strat (belongs to church)
Less occasionally Ibanez bass (ditto)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:25 PM
Charter Member

Nothing like a proper setup on a guitar. Enjoy!
Old 02-02-2023, 06:13 AM

Detailed fretwork and adjustments to action are sometimes steps skipped in the manufacturing process to save money. I usually factor in a 100.00 setup when purchasing a guitar and this lets me get it exactly the way I want.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:55 PM

with it would be just $100
Old 02-02-2023, 05:10 PM

wholly recommend if you have the inclination to learn, do your own setup. . .

properly set up guitar makes a world of difference . . . lots of places to learn, youtube, local shops, my bf does all his own set ups, as well as my band's guitarist, and they are showing me how to do it. Of course it helps that my older cousins and uncles taught an curious girl how to make old school wooden longboard fins . . .

Republic Polished Nickel over Brass Tricone
ES Dot
Fender MIM P-BAss
Gender M1M J-8455

Looking 4 an OM . . . so many choices!!! Analysis Paralysis
Old 02-09-2023, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
The local guy here wants $100 for a set up, another $125 for a nut and $100 ti compensate it. A few yrs ago I went to the Fret House for a set up and it was over $200. Westwood music in Los Angeles wants $85 to adjust truss rod and saddle. The same for a new saddle and ditto for a new nut. $220 for fret level.
I want to not pay that so my guitar doesnt get set up. My guitar might need all of that.
It really pays to learn how to do your own set - ups. Honestly, it's not difficult at all, and I enjoy doing it myself.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 02-09-2023, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Learn to do your own setups. With the internet all the instruction you need is freely available and the tools required for a basic setup are not expensive and commonly found in hardware stores. If you're hesitant to work on your expensive guitars, buy a beater or two to work on so you get a feel for it before you risk working on something you care about.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGW1500SE View Post
Took my brand new Ibanez AC340CE that had a fret buzz and high action to get it set up. They leveled the frets and lowered the action. It turned it into a great guitar. It was somewhat hard to play and the buzz was distracting. Now it's so easy to play. I wish I had done it right when I got it. From now on I'm getting every guitar I buy set up.
better yet, learn how to do it yourself. It's not as hard as you think. Most setups can be done by just adjusting the truss rod and sanding the saddle a bit. The rest is just cleaning the fretboard and maybe tweaking the nut slots. Anything more than that you could bring to a pro, but that should cover a lot. More advanced stuff would be: intonation, new nut swap, fret work.

Last edited by JackB1; 02-09-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Smile new Race car ….

A serious race driver will almost always take his or her new Ferrari or Lamborghini , etc to the RACE mechanic before taking it out on a track. Imagine paying $400K and having to pay the mechanic as well! We have it easy

Even though I don’t play fast, (race car analogy)
I take every new to me guitar to my Pal Tim Luranc (former Senior Repair Tech at Taylor El Cajon, and former head of the R.Taylor build team)

Very rarely will Tim assure me it needs nothing. Although the last two JK customs did not need any adjustments at all, as John Knows my preferences by now.

I consider it just part of the cost of another axe.

I have bought some EXPENSIVE guitars here and elsewhere, and almost all of them needed some attention. Amazing how many will skimp on setups! Makes no sense if you really want to PLAY it.

Get it set up and Tune That Thing! Hahaha

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion