The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Tom Petty used the imix with the M1 from 2006 until his final show in 2017. If I remember correctly, the sound tech would put mostly M1 in the monitors to control feedback but run more of the ibeam for the front of house tones. Petty always had a nice acoustic sound.
That’s an interesting bit of information that I was unaware of. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

I had an odd experience recently that I won't explain as much to say that some sound guys are still unfamiliar with the ES system and they won't take as a puzzle to solve.
I've never heard a Taylor with the Matrix system that sounded bad -- same goes for Anthem (SL or not)...whereas I rarely hear an ES system guitar that sounds good. I think it's for want of effort. If the ES presented a close to usable sound into a flat PA, all these complaints might evaporate.

Last edited by jay42; Yesterday at 03:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay42 View Post
I've never heard a Taylor with the Matrix system that sounded bad -- same goes for Anthem (SL or not)...whereas I rarely hear an ES system guitar that sounds good.
Can you define “bad” and “good” in those case?

Is the ES (1 or 2) too trebly? Too bassy? Too quacky?

If it helps, you can refer to my previous post in which I posted samples of all 3 pickups, so everyone can listen. (The 2nd sample is always the pickup with no FX)

In my opinion, the sensors are not guilty it is how the preamp is voiced…
my 2 cents
Cuki
Eastman E6OM (2019) DIY Pickup v8 + internal mic

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; Today at 12:12 AM.
Old Today, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Can you define “bad” and “good” in those case?

Is the ES (1 or 2) too trebly? Too bassy? Too quacky?

If it helps, you can refer to my previous post in which I posted samples of all 3 pickups, so everyone can listen. (The 2nd sample is always the pickup with no FX)

In my opinion, the sensors are not guilty it is how the preamp is voiced…
my 2 cents
Cuki
If I can add a point here, my issue with the original ES was that it sounded like an electric guitar. That's a very simplistic way of looking at it, but it was an odd tone for sure. I remember playing shows where I would solo up the neck and it sounded like I had switched to a hollow-bodied guitar. To be honest, I am surprised Taylor ever thought this was a useable system. It sounded nothing like any of the other pickups on the market.. in a bad way.
Old Today, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
"Obsolete" is a relative term for acoustic pickups. How old are The Fishman Matrix, the Baggs element or the K&K pickups?

I believe Fishman Matrix is 30 years old... and still alive.
K&K twin spot was introduced in 1990.

Taylor marketing is aimed to promote novelty and thus dooms older products to obsolescence.
^^^
Spot on!
There's always a "new" shiny penny in the pickup world. I have a drawer full of them!
FWIW, one can order any Taylor with NO pickup and save yourself $300.
Kremona "Kiano"
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Voyage Air OM4

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Mainland Tenor
Willie Wixom Tenor
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
Old Today, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Tom Petty used the imix with the M1 from 2006 until his final show in 2017. If I remember correctly, the sound tech would put mostly M1 in the monitors to control feedback but run more of the ibeam for the front of house tones. Petty always had a nice acoustic sound.
I have the "old" iMix (Element/iBeam) in 6 guitars. It is a great system. I plug straight into my Genzler Mini Array and get the tone I want. When we play bigger gigs, I go out of the Genzler into a Bose Tonematch/L1.
Kremona "Kiano"
Ramsay Classical
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Voyage Air OM4

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Mainland Tenor
Willie Wixom Tenor
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
ALL LEFTIES
Old Today, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
^^^
Spot on!
There's always a "new" shiny penny in the pickup world. I have a drawer full of them!
FWIW, one can order any Taylor with NO pickup and save yourself $300.
Despite the fact that Taylor guitars are pretty consistent, I personally would never order a guitar I had never tried. It is unfortunate that they are so tied to their pickups. I am fine since I have moved on from wanting Taylor guitars, but give customers an option.
Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay42 View Post
I had an odd experience recently that I won't explain as much to say that some sound guys are still unfamiliar with the ES system and they won't take as a puzzle to solve.
I've never heard a Taylor with the Matrix system that sounded bad -- same goes for Anthem (SL or not)...whereas I rarely hear an ES system guitar that sounds good. I think it's for want of effort. If the ES presented a close to usable sound into a flat PA, all these complaints might evaporate.
I was hosting open mics in a couple of venues when the ES system was introduced. Some of the ES-equipped Taylor’s had a very usable sound while others had a hollow, in-the-cave sound which was difficult to do anything to improve. At the time, luthier and pickup designer Dave Wendler opined that every guitar is different and that the soundboard transducer which is incorporated into the ES system was’t placed in the best location for many of the ES guitars.
Old Today, 02:29 PM

As best I can explain, ES guitars tend to need some deep notches in the A220 and 1 to 2kHz areas for starters. I don't hear good string to string clarity or definition. Put another way, I hear blur or smear where I want to hear up to six notes. I apologize if this is vague. I have heard improvement in a few guitar amplifiers where I have replaced the output transformers with upgrades.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification