The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 08:22 AM

Default Auden guitars

I am interested in your opinions on their quality, tone, sustain, etc., as I'm considering buying one of their 12 string guitars. Cliff Smith demo'd one on YouTube and it sounded terrific listening via my Alesis monitors, but I can't find one to play anywhere. A difficult decision when you can't try it first and they're made overseas (UK). Thoughts are most welcome. Thank you in advance.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:01 AM

I've played a few here in the UK. Firstly, they are not made in the UK- my understanding is that most of the woodwork is done in Asia and then set up in the UK. I have mixed opinions of them. Some are great, such as the more expensive all gloss rosewood ones (the Chester and Bowman being my favourites). I haven't enjoyed playing some of the cheaper and smaller bodied ones. I played a great maple back and sides Chester back along, but these were a limited run. The pickups are reasonable, but not as good as their advertising suggests. They are still very piezzo like and quacky.

At the end of the day I would say these are guitars you need to play first before buying. If your budget can stretch to about £1000 more then you should look at Brook guitars, which are most definitely all solid and hand made in the UK, and are better value than the much more expensive Atkin, Lowden and Fylde ranges that are probably better know.

Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:09 AM

Default Thank you for feedback

Hi Robbie,
Thank you very much. It was a well made Youtube video review of the Auden Colton 12 string that I listened to on my Alesis monitors and it sounded very nice. Totally agree that laying first is believing. While I'm at it, how does Auden compare to Furch for quality? I have played a Furch here in the states and the higher end ones sound rich and warm. Wish I could test a 12 string of that brand, too. Thank you for the Brook idea, I'd not heard of them.
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo
Old 02-01-2023, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Default Auden

I have a 2022 Mint 6 string Auden Jumbo with pick up . It is a very exceptional sounding guitar .

Last edited by mguynn; 02-01-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2023, 01:26 AM

Thank you!
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo
Old 02-02-2023, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Taylor12 View Post
I am interested in your opinions on their quality, tone, sustain, etc., as I'm considering buying one of their 12 string guitars. Cliff Smith demo'd one on YouTube and it sounded terrific listening via my Alesis monitors, but I can't find one to play anywhere. A difficult decision when you can't try it first and they're made overseas (UK). Thoughts are most welcome. Thank you in advance.
I have an Auden Artist Bowman (OM size). Very solidly constricted. Looks posh. Nice wood beading, lovely looking spruce top and nice rosewood B&S. Plugged into PAs, it sounds good. The pickup/eq works very well, and I can get a nice articulated sound for fingerpicking, or an alternative heavier thump for flat picking.

Unplugged, acoustically, it has nice bass and sweet high, but middle is quiet. Fine played with a flat pick. Really good sound. But for fingerstyle, it's much too quiet if you are in a big carpeted room trying to reach the back. Should have got a bigger guitar from Auden. But then, I wasn't much fingerpicking in an acoustic venue back when I got it. Still on the journey.

PS I contacted Auden the other day asking about a replacement saddle (I had it lowered when I bought it, and just wondered if I could increase acoustic volume by increasing the height of the saddle). Doug Sparkes (the boss himself) got back to me and to cut story short, sent me two replacement saddles free of charge (and postage). Nice service, indeed.

Here ends my tuppenceworth

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-02-2023, 01:46 PM

Thank you, Malcom, and that is good service. My focus is 12 string, I have 2 and am looking for another big sounding 3rd, but not cedar or maple like current ones. And used under $1,500, if possible. So far, I like Furch but have only played their 6 string higher end models, watched the Auden video, and checking out Larrivee 12 strings (any thoughts on those?)
1975 Yamaha FG-200
2022 Iris ND-200 jumbo
Old 02-03-2023, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Taylor12 View Post
Thank you, Malcom, and that is good service. My focus is 12 string, I have 2 and am looking for another big sounding 3rd, but not cedar or maple like current ones. And used under $1,500, if possible. So far, I like Furch but have only played their 6 string higher end models, watched the Auden video, and checking out Larrivee 12 strings (any thoughts on those?)
Don't have any 12 strings. Still thinking from time to time I want one, though. Pal of mine has a Martin HPL B&S 12 string. He's had it for quite a number of years. He got the action low because he has issues with his hands. But even with that low action - Wow! the tone is fab any time I hear it.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 02-03-2023, 06:27 AM

Just to add, you mentioned Furch. These are superb guitars (these are genuinely handmade in Europe). I've not played one I didn't like. Also check out Lakewood as well. My local shop (where I bought my Huss & Dalton) has this rather fine Lakewood 12 in stock:
https://reverb.com/uk/item/58345098-...coustic-guitar

Robbie
Huss and Dalton T-0014 (ex Albert Lee)
Brook Lamorna (2022) (borrowed)
Jose Marques custom OM (borrowed)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 string jumbo, auden