The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2023, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
I really never thought about it. And never looked that close. I just like what I like. and play what I play

My eyes are not the best anymore, but.

I'm assuming my Rotosound Super Bronze are round core.
I remember those. Aren’t you meant to adjust them so that the winding starts just after the saddle, rather than an inch or more away?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-28-2023, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
I am auditioning a set of the GHS Thin Core PBs right now. They do sound good, and they for sure seem to have lower tension than my standard D'Addario EJ16 PB lights. If I were to settle on these strings I might need an action adjustment; either the relief has flattened under the lower tension, or I am hitting them too heavily, because they are on the edge of buzz. I like 'em.

I have two DR sets ready for the next change, the Sunbeams and the Rare.
It might be influenced by the length of the guitar's neck. I like the Thin Cores on a 25.6 inch neck but not so much on a different guitar with a 24.9 inch neck.
Old 01-28-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
It might be influenced by the length of the guitar's neck. I like the Thin Cores on a 25.6 inch neck but not so much on a different guitar with a 24.9 inch neck.
A perceptive comment, thanks. My instrument has the shorter scale.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:44 PM

Yo Z,
You said round core arent useful for greater ease of playing. Thats something Im interested and the reason I started using them. So Im sincerely interested, not being sarcastic, what is useful?
Old 01-28-2023, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Yo Z,
You said round core arent useful for greater ease of playing. Thats something Im interested and the reason I started using them. So Im sincerely interested, not being sarcastic, what is useful?
In the back of my head was the thought that there are things that have a minor effect on guitar playing, but compared to times when you're in that fantastic groove and barely feel the strings, some small percentage change in string tension or flexibility doesn't make much difference. Once we find the strings we like.

I admit it's a romantic, maybe somewhat moralistic, approach that I'm not going to defend. Round core strings, equal tension strings, etc. are all useful. But I'd find it more useful if I knew how to get in that groove more often.

But in keeping with the spirit of the thread, I do like Santa Cruz equal tension strings.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:47 PM

Thanks Z, yes the key to the groove is there is no key. It happens, but Im not waiting around for it. Ive played many different guitars and styles and tried many types of strings including SC, as a side thought I have a lot of good memories of the place. Met a surfer girl there, lived with friends, saw alot of hippies. Anyway, I played the strings once and that was enough. Ive played a bunch of low tension strings and the winner for me is Newtone. His standard is PB, which I like but I have him wrap with 80/20. It gives a little more of the sound that I prefer. The GHS Thin Core are a close runner up. Im trying Optum now, well see. I dont get the idea of the Thomastik, how do you spell that, Plectrum strings that are flatwound. I used to use those when I was playing electric for a jazz sound. My bass also was flatwound.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Had the DR Sunbeams (round core) on my Martin dread now for a few weeks. Played a few hours. (See my previous posts).

I drive my dreads pretty hard with a 1.20mm or heavier pick.

No question they sound and feel good, but I still find myself fine tuning more frequently than I usually do with other strings on this guitar. I usually use (hex core) D'Addario EJ17, Martin MA550 or Martin Lifespan PB mediums.

I'll give them some more playing time. Maybe they (round core) just take longer to settle in.

Last edited by FingahPickah; 01-31-2023 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

I mostly play DR Rare and GHS PB lights. I've experimented with the DR Sunbeams and found that they add a little something extra to the sound. A little brighter, a little more colorful. I liked them, although not enough to switch off of my default strings.

I have a new Eastman E20D-MR-TC, where I might give them a try (although I'm not sure I need that guitar to become any brighter).
Old 02-01-2023, 07:47 PM

I have the DR sunbeams on my Lowden guitar. Sound great.
Old 02-02-2023, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
I am auditioning a set of the GHS Thin Core PBs right now. They do sound good, and they for sure seem to have lower tension than my standard D'Addario EJ16 PB lights. If I were to settle on these strings I might need an action adjustment; either the relief has flattened under the lower tension, or I am hitting them too heavily, because they are on the edge of buzz. I like 'em.

I have two DR sets ready for the next change, the Sunbeams and the Rare.
Hi Purfle, I tried the GHS Thin Core Light gauge and they felt great under the fingers. but I found they didn't drive the soundboard as much as typical Daddario PB light gauge. Did you notice this?

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-02-2023, 01:28 PM

Default I like em

I have these on my new all hog Iris RCM 000. I like them and they help to brighten up the hog and so far have lasted quite well and I am very picky about when strings start to not hold tune or intonation.

I always cut my strings on a solid peghead after they are all strung up to tension and have not had issues like some report that cut them early. Now on a slot head, I cut them prior to stringing them up, so maybe not the best choice for me on a slot head guitar???
Old 02-02-2023, 07:11 PM

For the past six months, I have been trying different brands of strings that others have recommended on this forum. My all time favorite over the years are Thomastik spectrums - they are my benchmark. I like DR Sunbeams. I've had them on a D-28 for a while and I am amazed at how light they feel for medium gauge strings. They do sound good.
I have Mangans on order and Mapes too. I have one guitar strung with StringJoy at the moment and I have a long history with Santa Cruz strings. Nothing scientific about my approach, just casually listening to the differences. I am curious about how this ends.

Jerry
Old 02-02-2023, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeecham View Post
I like DR Sunbeams. I've had them on a D-28 for a while and I am amazed at how light they feel for medium gauge strings. They do sound good.
I have Mangans on order and Mapes too.
I agree they do feel a bit light (and flexible by design) for mediums.

I like them ok but they don't seem to drive the top of my Martin D40 like D'Addario or Martin mediums do.

I've been curious about Mapes. Yet to try them. Have you tried them or is it your first order?
Old 02-02-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
I've been curious about Mapes. Yet to try them. Have you tried them or is it your first order?
I've tried many brands of strings on many instruments. Specifically on my HD-28 I've tried DR Rare, DR Sunbeams, Mapes and Curt Mangan. All mediums (.013).

In order of preference (based on tone, volume and sustain):

1. Curt Mangan
2. Sunbeams
3. Rare
4. Mapes
Old 02-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I've tried many brands of strings on many instruments. Specifically on my HD-28 I've tried DR Rare, DR Sunbeams, Mapes and Curt Mangan. All mediums (.013).

In order of preference (based on tone, volume and sustain):

1. Curt Mangan
2. Sunbeams
3. Rare
4. Mapes
Guess I need to try Curt Mangan.... Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion