The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-01-2023, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Default ChatGPT vs Pro Mixer

ChatGPT answering questions about mixing audio. I'm not sure if I should be impressed or scared.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-01-2023, 01:31 PM

Fairly impressive.

I wasn't nearly as impressed when I asked ChatGPT to write three songs (one that I'd already written, and two that are just ideas).
Old 02-01-2023, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I have Round Table discussions every Sunday with my Brother, Nephew and a dear friend, via a three way phone call.
A few weeks ago my brother( who is a 40 year computer programming veteran) was raving about ChatGPD.

My Exact words were...."Yeah...but there is no way it is going to know about recording and mixing." LOL Boy was I wrong!!!!!

Thank you so much Jim1960 for this very fun video.
Yes, I am shocked, horrified, scared and....very impressed. And, I really liked this youtuber's thoughts. I will have to listen to more of his videos. It seems that his opinions are pretty much the same as many of you have stated. I...will gently have to disagree with his opinions on microphone cable. I am pretty sure there is a difference in sound quality between a $3 cable and a $20 cable. It may be that in the overall mix...it doesn't make much of a difference...but I believe it makes some.

The Big Question that lies ahead?
What will the next 20 years unveil in the digital world? We are advancing so quickly. Will Robots replace mixing engineers in 20, 30, 40 years from now? As mathematical formulas for mixing could be used. However, I do not think they could replace recording engineers? I mean someone has to set up the microphones and place them at the right distance? OR will that too become computer controlled? We already have microphones that can emulate top tier microphones. Yeah, they are not there now, but maybe in 20 more years they will be?

Or will music by robots overtake humans. If we are already at a point where ChatGPT can answer our questions with accuracy at nearly the speed of light, then maybe there will become a day when we can just say:
"Create music that is a combination of the Doors & Beatles" "Create a melodic rock theme that has a re-occuring 20 note sequence that has not been used before." When you get down to it...it is all math isn't it?

For the last 30 years I have been saying a few different mantras.
Top of the list was this: "We are living in the age of the last real individuals" Luckily, I am continually seeing new & amazing individuals grow.. I see all of these incredible athletes performing daring deeds that were previousy unimaginable. Hopefully this will continue. But as we achieve digital-computer perfection, I can not help but wonder if the individual will survive.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:21 PM

I need to remember to ask ChatGPT if it prefers rock or country . . . and why.

Or how is its day going?

Or what did it dream about?

Or does it prefer pizza or hot dogs?

Yes, I know, I'm evil.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD