The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-31-2023, 07:24 PM

Pignose HOG 20

Old 02-04-2023, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukulele View Post
I need to get an amp for use in my dorm at college. It can't be too big, and under 500 dollars at the most. I'm interested to know what most people are using for their low volume practice setups.

For myself i've mostly been considering the Yamaha THR series, but I'm not sure if I should just get the 5 to save money, or if the 10 or 30 is worth the extra cost. I have also thought about the Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp. Obviously it would be the smallest choice, but I would like to have the option to play without headphones sometimes. If anyone has recommendations of any small combo amps (1x8 or 1x10) that they really like, I am open to those options as well. I have thought about the Blackstar ht1.

Also, I have been watching videos about amp and cab sim pedals like the Walrus Audio ACS1, DSM & Humboldt simplifier, and the Blackstar Amped 1. Does anyone use something like that into headphones as their practice setup?

Mostly I just want to find out what other people are using and have some discussion, thanks.
There are a number of good options from $200 to $500 and everybody has their favorites

Me I would first decide If want basic simple or have modeling options
Simple like the Bugera 5 ...
Or modeling options , like the Positive Grid Spark
One of these two would likely be my choice for your budget range and compact size requirement

I use this setup but is over your budget and not dorm friendly size wise
REVV D20 (hybrid digital modeling and 20 W. tube amp) and Port City 2x12 vertical cab

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-04-2023 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlover View Post
Vox Pathfinder 15R. Best bang for your Buck
Couldn’t agree more. I can’t remember how long I’ve owned mine - it’s one of the best $100 I’ve ever spent. It sounds terrific, is pedal-friendly, and I’ve never felt any compulsion to replace it.

If it ever went poof, I’d look seriously at the Spark Mini.

IMG_2760.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-04-2023, 08:38 PM

I just received my Line 6 Catalyst 60. So far I’ve only tinkered with the clean channel and the manual mode. The clean is very clean no matter the volume. The manual mode seems to act like a regular amp where it breaks up like a normal, simple amplifier. I doubt it would fool very many in a blind comparison with an actual tube amp but it is pleasant. I have no aspirations for heavy distortion and crazy effects, so clean, boutique and crunchy are about all my amp will ever see.
I do have a Yamaha THR 5A. It has a clean electric model. It has been my only amp. Literally, my only amp ever. I just bought a handful of inexpensive pedals to put in front of it. A couple of drive pedals, a tuner, and an eq pedal. It actually can be made to sound pretty decent. Just a single, simple low gain drive pedal would be sufficient, really. The eq is ok. The tuner is convenient. The noise gate might be nice with a single coil situation. I built a little board that can house my THR and the pedals, along with needed power supplies with room to spare. It makes a pretty spiffy practice amp setup that can be carried wherever might be convenient for me.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:42 AM

Lots of comments here about the Boss Katana, so I thought I'd chime in with my own experiences.

Last year when I decided to get back into playing electric guitar, I realized the world of gear had changed A LOT since I'd last looked (over ten years or so). I spent a lot of time on YT and concluded that the Katana was probably going to work best for my needs (jamming at home, mostly on headphones, but occasionally playing with a drummer friend).

I'm such a Luddite that I don't even know how to hook up guitar pedals, much less all that online software stuff the Katana can do. I tried to get it up and going, but being a Mac/iPhone user it wouldn't work, which is apparently very typical. So I just ended up using the amp as-is and I absolutely love it.

I mostly stay on the "Brown" setting with the "Panel" button on (I have no idea what that means, never read the manual, and won't) with a bit of reverb and delay dialed in. It gives me the sound I was looking for, so I am done searching. I used the Katana with my drummer friend and was able to take it off the low wattage setting and put it in full-power mode. It still sounded great - awesome, in fact.

I'm no expert or gearhead, but I just know what I think sounds great, and the Katana does!
Old 02-05-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Lots of comments here about the Boss Katana, so I thought I'd chime in with my own experiences.

Last year when I decided to get back into playing electric guitar, I realized the world of gear had changed A LOT since I'd last looked (over ten years or so). I spent a lot of time on YT and concluded that the Katana was probably going to work best for my needs (jamming at home, mostly on headphones, but occasionally playing with a drummer friend).

I'm such a Luddite that I don't even know how to hook up guitar pedals, much less all that online software stuff the Katana can do. I tried to get it up and going, but being a Mac/iPhone user it wouldn't work, which is apparently very typical. So I just ended up using the amp as-is and I absolutely love it.

I mostly stay on the "Brown" setting with the "Panel" button on (I have no idea what that means, never read the manual, and won't) with a bit of reverb and delay dialed in. It gives me the sound I was looking for, so I am done searching. I used the Katana with my drummer friend and was able to take it off the low wattage setting and put it in full-power mode. It still sounded great - awesome, in fact.

I'm no expert or gearhead, but I just know what I think sounds great, and the Katana does!

I was pretty sold on the 100w head because it has a 5in speaker built-in for practice
But I'm kind of rethinking everything ..two reasons

1. Before I went Acoustic for the last 7 years I was a tone cork sniffer, I'm picky and I only bought Tube amps, I even had a couple handmade for me...
So I'm worried that if I buy SS it won't make me happy.. But then SS/modelers have come a long way since I bought the first Line6 modeler back in 97-98', SO maybe just maybe they are good enough now...Maybe?

2. The minute I start thinking they are good enough I look at the used gear at GC/MF and see tons of used Katana's 50's for sale??, I mean what is up with that..buyers remorse?? So now I'm on hold for a Katana while I look at what is available in tube amps prefer something with EL34/6L6 because I prefer that sound over EL84's

Then I'm trying to figure out how I will intergrade an Electric(ES339) into my acoustic/amp sets...or maybe go full Electric because mostly what I play was originally Electric guitar songs anyway...

Shoot I don't want to take over this thread with my nonsense I'll start another
Old 02-05-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I was pretty sold on the 100w head because it has a 5in speaker built-in for practice

1. Before I went Acoustic for the last 7 years I was a tone cork sniffer, I'm picky and I only bought Tube amps, I even had a couple handmade for me...
So I'm worried that if I buy SS it won't make me happy.. But then SS/modelers have come a long way since I bought the first Line6 modeler back in 97-98', SO maybe just maybe they are good enough now...Maybe?

2. The minute I start thinking they are good enough I look at the used gear at GC/MF and see tons of used Katana's 50's for sale??, I mean what is up with that..buyers remorse?? So now I'm on hold for a Katana while I look at what is available in tube amps prefer something with EL34/6L6 because I prefer that sound over EL84's

Then I'm trying to figure out how I will intergrade an Electric(ES339) into my acoustic/amp sets...or maybe go full Electric because mostly what I play was originally Electric guitar songs anyway...

If you're the sort of guitar player who will always be thinking "Hmmm, doesn't that kind of solid state-ish?" or "...sounds digital" whenever you hear an amp that's not got tubes then just skip the Katana. You know you're never going to be satisfied with an amp that doesn't have tubes or at least do a 99.999% convincing imitation of some specific tube amp (i.e. a Kemper or something like that).

The reason there are a zillion used Katanas for sale is because they sold ten zillion new ones over the last few years.

Your comment about preferring the sound of EL34's over EL84's is the clearest possible warning sign AGAINST buying a Katana or any other digital or even solid state amp, if you see what I mean.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 02-05-2023, 08:11 AM

Quote:

As far as there being a lot of used Katana 50s on the market, that does not surprise me. I'd venture a guess and say most (like me) could not figure out how to get the online software stuff going and decided to get rid of the amp. This feature is why a lot of people want these amps to begin with. From what I've seen on YT, there really is a myriad of great options with the software, but it hates Mac products and most times won't work with them. My wife is a genuine whiz at computer stuff and couldn't get mine to work, so I know that option is off the table.

As far as tube amps go... back in the day I was a Strat/tube amp guy and loved the tones. But if one is going to mostly jam at home like me, and with headphones so I don't drive my family bananas, a tube amp makes no sense. I'm over all those bluesy sounds anyway and don't want that sound anymore. I can tell you that the Katana will give you some really huge, fat tones all with the original built-in settings. I'm very happy with mine. All it would cost you is a couple hundred bucks to see if one would work for your purposes. And with GC's return policy, there is really nothing to lose. Have fun!
Old 02-05-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
As far as there being a lot of used Katana 50s on the market, that does not surprise me. I'd venture a guess and say most (like me) could not figure out how to get the online software stuff going and decided to get rid of the amp. This feature is why a lot of people want these amps to begin with. From what I've seen on YT, there really is a myriad of great options with the software, but it hates Mac products and most times won't work with them. My wife is a genuine whiz at computer stuff and couldn't get mine to work, so I know that option is off the table.

As far as tube amps go... back in the day I was a Strat/tube amp guy and loved the tones. But if one is going to mostly jam at home like me, and with headphones so I don't drive my family bananas, a tube amp makes no sense. I'm over all those bluesy sounds anyway and don't want that sound anymore. I can tell you that the Katana will give you some really huge, fat tones all with the original built-in settings. I'm very happy with mine. All it would cost you is a couple hundred bucks to see if one would work for your purposes. And with GC's return policy, there is really nothing to lose. Have fun!
Playing at home quietly is a must ..The Katanas have an attenuator which is great...
And maybe they have come a long way. I'm like you, I play clean mostly..if anything else, I have just s slight breakup at the top when hit harder

I do play out but I'm not a weekend warrior anymore I'll probably play out 5-6 times this summer... all depends.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
If you're the sort of guitar player who will always be thinking "Hmmm, doesn't that kind of solid state-ish?" or "...sounds digital" whenever you hear an amp that's not got tubes then just skip the Katana. You know you're never going to be satisfied with an amp that doesn't have tubes or at least do a 99.999% convincing imitation of some specific tube amp (i.e. a Kemper or something like that).

The reason there are a zillion used Katanas for sale is because they sold ten zillion new ones over the last few years.

Your comment about preferring the sound of EL34's over EL84's is the clearest possible warning sign AGAINST buying a Katana or any other digital or even solid state amp, if you see what I mean.
Yea I worried about it because that does/did sound like me, I'm still in the camp...maybe just maybe the new modelers are good enough
Kemper..yikes out of my price range but yes they sound great.....
Old 02-05-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I was pretty sold on the 100w head because it has a 5in speaker built-in for practice.
But I'm kind of rethinking everything...two reasons:

1. Before I went acoustic for the last 7 years, I was a tone cork sniffer. I'm picky and I only bought tube amps. I even had a couple handmade for me...
So I'm worried that if I buy SS it won't make me happy. But then SS/modelers have come a long way since I bought the first Line6 modeler back in 97-98', SO maybe just maybe they are good enough now...Maybe?

2. The minute I start thinking they are good enough, I look at the used gear at GC/MF and see tons of used Katana 50's for sale?? I mean what is up with that...buyer's remorse?? So now I'm on hold for a Katana while I look at what is available in tube amps - prefer something with EL34/6L6 because I prefer that sound over EL84's.

Then I'm trying to figure out how I will integrate an electric (ES339) into my acoustic/amp sets...or maybe go full electric because mostly what I play was originally electric guitar songs anyway...
In order:
  • I'm also a hardcore tube guy at heart, but there have been analog SS and hybrid amps with real tone for the last 50 years or so: the original Leo Fender-designed Music Man and pre-1985 Randall "orange-stripe/grey-stripe" RG and RB combos come quickly to mind - owned the former, still own (and use) the latter, and keep a "blackface Twin" style Fender Frontman 212R in the stable for when I need big, dependable, clean, plug-&-play/grab-&-go power. Also have a first-run Line6 Flextone Plus 60W 1x12" with full pedalboard: never really did it for me, but a few years ago I worked with a studio guy (who did road time with a major R&R HOF band from the '60s) who swore by his rackmount Pod - go figure...
  • Extrapolating from the above, unlike analog gear (tube, SS, or hybrid) there's a planned-obsolescence factor designed into modeling amps: as soon as Version 2.0 hits the market that first-run edition becomes a glorified doorstop - software updates are eventually phased out, and if something goes wrong electronically many techs won't touch them (voice of experience here). If you don't absolutely need up-to-the-nanosecond technology they can be a good value, but know what you're getting into in advance...
  • If you're looking for something in the EL34 camp and have a spare cab on hand, one of these might be a good (and relatively inexpensive) option:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-a-tube-head

Did a NAD review a while ago - give it a look and see if it's for you:
    https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=661925

• FYI there's an ongoing thread broaching the electric-to-acoustic subject - you might want to check in:
    https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=664684
Old 02-05-2023, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yea I worried about it because that does/did sound like me, I'm still in the camp...maybe just maybe the new modelers are good enough
Kemper..yikes out of my price range but yes they sound great.....
See here is the thing (IMO)

I think digital modeling has indeed come so far that likely most electric guitar players could not consistently distinguish (the sound) between a tube amp and a tube amp model (if well done) in a double blind A/B test.

That said ---I do think that simply sounding like a tube amp, may not actually be the point, or at least not the entire point ..... Because I think (and I could be full of horse feathers) there is a (feel) when playing tube amp (maybe just related to an imperceptible time lag or tube sag or something ?) between the fingers on the strings and the sound produced ----that is not there in solid state..

My first practice amp was a SS- Orange Crush 20 RT and I was never really satisfied with it

Now don't get me wrong for 20 years in my home recording I use digital modeling plugins all the time.
AND my current practice amp is a REVV D20 (pictured in my previous post) which has both extensive digital modeling ability AND straight up 20 watt Tube Amp ability But honestly I no longer use the modeling So I guess when it comes to electric guitar I am also "in that camp"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-05-2023, 09:39 AM

My experience is extremely limited compared to you guys but from many hours reading online forums, many hours playing through my Katana and from my one awful experience with a, frankly, piece of junk Champion 600 about 15 years ago here's my take...

1) Anyone approaching Katana or Line6 Catalyst or a modeler that plays through studio monitors with an open mind will be able to find very pleasing tones in there after a bit of work. Maybe you'll get lucky twisting knobs or using canned presets or maybe you'll need to invest a couple rainy Sunday afternoons deep diving menus. But there's almost any kind of good sound in there you might dig.

2) Anyone trying to replicate the feel and sound of [fill in the blank] whatever tube amp(s) they played through for a thousand hours back in the day on a Katana/Catalyst/modeler is never going to be happy. You might well get close enough that in the hypothetical blind test nobody can distinguish the sound but as a personal perceptive while you're playing through the amp non-blind it ain't gonna be the same.

2a) The only possible exceptions might be those uber-high-end modelers like Kemper nowadays but that's rich-guy or studio owner type stuff, not really comparable to Katanas and Bugeras and Princetons.

3) There are plenty of guitar players out there who are happy enough owning three or for different tube amps with different sounds, spending time and money tube rolling in search of the teensiest little distinctions in sound and response or even having modifications done inside the amp to improve the sound. For whatever reason, it seems like a lot of those folks find plugging a laptop into some modeling device and figure out how to twiddle menus is too much effort. It is what it is.

4) The wild-card in this is the Tonemaster stuff from Fender. Supposedly, depending on who you believe, they are 99% of the sound and (maybe) 90% of the feel of their tube-amp equivalent but in a one-trick pony digital emulation. Nothing but knobs to turn, can't configure them with a laptop even if you want to and therefore the sound isn't going to venture outside of the strict confines of one particular tube-amp emulation. The smallest of them is the Princeton but all of them have built-in attenuation down to a pretty low SPL level.

So my advice is follow your muse wherever she leads. If you have a deep level of experience and, let's be honest, personal attachment to the tube amp experience probably best to stick with it. Maybe get a Tonemaster if you feel a little bit flexible and Fender amps are what you prefer. And if you just want to learn your way around a small amp and find some sounds you like without having to constantly judge "Does this really sound like a Marshall?" then save a bunch of money and spend a few hundred bucks on one of these packages modeling combos.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
But if one is going to mostly jam at home like me, and with headphones so I don't drive my family bananas, a tube amp makes no sense. I'm over all those bluesy sounds anyway and don't want that sound anymore. I can tell you that the Katana will give you some really huge, fat tones all with the original built-in settings.
Your comment about being "...over all those bluesy sounds..." is something I often wonder about when reading discussions of options for these kinds of amps. I've never been into that music to start with so maybe it's why some of the tough decision-making is so puzzling to me.

I really do think the advice to me to get a single-end small tube combo (during my first, very short-lived attempt at electric guitar two decades back) was well intentioned. But I didn't realize until much later that it was in large part coming from people who just absolutely loved that "bluesey sound" as kind of a fundamental bedrock part of their musical heritage and identity.

Not sure what percentage of the wide appeal these small tube combos have which comes from that versus other musical influences or styles. But it has to be a big part of it, I think.

P.S. When I was shopping for an electric guitar last year, having virtually no real playing ability, I would often narrow down my choices to ones that seemed to play nicely for me but then I'd ask one of the sale people at the guitar store to play a little while I listened. In almost every case, the first thing they did was kick out a few bendy/bluesy/roots-rock type licks. Which is fine even if it's not exactly anything I'd ever be playing on the guitar.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that when I finally found my "keeper" (after briefly owning and/or returning several others) the guy I asked to play for me rolled off the Tone knob and commenced with some very tasteful chord-melody stuff before then switching over to some sort of John Mayer lick to finish up. Go figure, I decided that one sounded just fine to me!

Last edited by Brent Hutto; 02-05-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Your comment about being "...over all those bluesy sounds..." is something I often wonder about when reading discussions of options for these kinds of amps. I've never been into that music to start with so maybe it's why some of the tough decision-making is so puzzling to me.

I really do think the advice to me to get a single-end small tube combo (during my first, very short-lived attempt at electric guitar two decades back) was well intentioned. But I didn't realize until much later that it was in large part coming from people who just absolutely loved that "bluesey sound" as kind of a fundamental bedrock part of their musical heritage and identity.

Not sure what percentage of the wide appeal these small tube combos have which comes from that versus other musical influences or styles. But it has to be a big part of it, I think.

P.S. When I was shopping for an electric guitar last year, having virtually no real playing ability, I would often narrow down my choices to ones that seemed to play nicely for me but then I'd ask one of the sale people at the guitar store to play a little while I listened. In almost every case, the first thing they did was kick out a few bendy/bluesy/roots-rock type licks. Which is fine even if it's not exactly anything I'd ever be playing on the guitar.

I wonder if it's a coincidence that when I finally found my "keeper" (after briefly owning and/or returning several others) the guy I asked to play for me rolled off the Tone knob and commenced with some very tasteful chord-melody stuff before then switching over to some sort of John Mayer lick to finish up. Go figure, I decided that one sounded just fine to me!
Blues licks are easy, hence the reason so many people play them. Sounding like SRV is not easy but anyone who gets good at blues licks can come very close. Those patterns lay very naturally on the fretboard and are easy to have lots of fun with. I used to be really good at that stuff back in my Strat/tube amp days. Now I'm playing mostly 80s metal and having more fun than I ever have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars