The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-30-2023, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
So Bob, where in Connecticut are they building those $4000 to $5000 Adamas Ovations? They do say their shop is still in your home state.
fd
I really don’t know, Frank.

It could be in the same complex is where the restaurant is now, as it is a very large building. I think srick might have a better line on that than me.
Old 01-30-2023, 12:49 PM

I need to make a spelling correction concerning these wonderful Ovation guitars

The chemical compound used to form the rounded bowl backs of Ovation guitars is spelled LYRACHORD, not lyracord as I had been referring to it.

Sorry for the error.
fd
Old 01-30-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
So Bob, where in Connecticut are they building those $4000 to $5000 Adamas Ovations? They do say their shop is still in your home state.
fd
I have scoured the internet to find this out without luck. There was an Ovation factory repair shop about a mile south of the original factory where I believe some Adamas guitars were being made. However, I did see a reference earlier in the year that they might be back in the original building, although in a much smaller footprint. On their website, they specifically state that their custom shop is still in New Hartford, Connecticut. Google has them listed at the address of the original factory seen below. Various pictures on the internet show a fairly sizable warehouse space.

DDC03030-404F-40F5-A953-09C1C65130A4.jpeg

The building was built around the time of the Civil War. I believe it may have produced ‘shoddy’ which was essentially, pressed felt. Because the material fell apart easily, especially when wet, the noun became a verb referring to poor workmanship. The factory was adjacent to the Farmington River which of course, powered the many machines of the day.

Last edited by srick; 01-31-2023 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I need to make a spelling correction concerning these wonderful Ovation guitars

The chemical compound used to form the rounded bowl backs of Ovation guitars is spelled LYRACHORD, not lyracord as I had been referring to it.

Sorry for the error.
fd
And I have seen a reference noting that the concept of using it as a guitar bowl material may have been borrowed from a smaller luthier. Likely the truth is somewhere in between. Without a doubt, the materials used in the guitars were initially obtained through the helicopter side of the business. Plus, the helicopter engineers had scads of test equipment aimed at vibration analysis.
Old 01-30-2023, 01:32 PM

This video was posted to YouTube in May of 2022:

Old 01-30-2023, 02:06 PM

Quote:
What i have read Ray is without a strap you are doomed with these rounded backs. It seem though that DrumWorks, since their takeover of the company, has added a rougher patch where your leg and guitar meet which stops the slipping phenomenon.
I’m also looking to see if anyone has first hand experience with the super shallow model, with info on both plugged in sound and handling.
Without power they are nothing. These guitars were and are purpose built stage guitars. I like the fact that they are so specialized.
Stay welk Ray!
frank d.
I had both

my super shallow was a 12 string neck dive was a problem for that one too.

But yea, they are 100% performers platforms

acoustically they were pretty dead sounding.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-30-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
I had both

my super shallow was a 12 string neck dive was a problem for that one too.

But yea, they are 100% performers platforms

acoustically they were pretty dead sounding.
Ray, how was the shape on the super shallow back? Comfortable? Not? I could understand the neck dive with the twelve string, but i have a 12 string plastic/plywood Danelectro for that.😹

A38D7ECD-700F-410A-B37B-924F1E8501CF.jpg
Old 01-31-2023, 07:39 AM

Ray, how was the shape on the super shallow back? Comfortable? Not? I could understand the neck dive with the twelve string, but i have a 12 string plastic/plywood Danelectro for that.😹

It wasn't as bad as the large bowl one, but I still didn't find it comfortable for me. I had to use a bar stool and a strap sitting. I could not really find a way to like it as a "sofa" guitar.

My frame, my size could have a lot to do with this.

5' 7" sort of an average build.

on stage it wasn't really bad at all.

It sounded excellent and the action was great. That made it worth all the effort really.

I eventually sold it to a guy from the UK who was in love with these, he had a few already and was looking for a 12'ver.

so for some people they are just right. Try one if you can Frank.. you may be good to go.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-31-2023, 08:08 AM

rmp(Ray) says “It wasn't as bad as the large bowl one, but I still didn't find it comfortable for me. I had to use a bar stool and a strap sitting……
…….so for some people they are just right. Try one if you can Frank.. you may be good to go.”[/QUOTE]

OK, so not surprising to me that when you were sitting you needed a strap. My body shape necessitates a strap when sitting, no matter the back or brand of guitar.

Im pretty much in line with needing the super shallow 48style model of the Elite series guitars. The 44series with the medium sized bowl back plus the size of my belly wouldn't work sitting or standing l think. Thanks for the first hand report, Ray. Much appreciated.
frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 01-31-2023 at 08:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Those are pretty guitars, Frank!

I have very limited experience with Ovation guitars, so I can't be of much help.

- Glenn
Old 01-31-2023, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Those are pretty guitars, Frank!

I have very limited experience with Ovation guitars, so I can't be of much help.

- Glenn
If you have a moment Glenn, take a look at the video srick attached on this thread all about Ovation guitars. And the others that show up after that video ends.

fd
Old 01-31-2023, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

The OP could look for a Deep Contour Bowl Ovation model that stays put a lot better than the rounded-back models. The Deep Bowl, American-made Ovations are by far the best-sounding models. I've owned over a dozen high-end Ovations and Adamas guitars and currently have an Adamas 2087GT-8 Reverse Blue Burst.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-01-2023 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Always have had a warm spot for Ovations, the Legend was my first good acoustic back in 1979-80. I gigged one through the 90's and they were good to me. Frank, I had 3 different ones over the years, none of them was a shallow bowl, so I can't be of much help. The couple you are looking at are mighty pretty.

While I no longer have one, I always think about getting another...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-31-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The OP could look for a Deep Contour Bowl Ovation model that stays put a lot better than the rounded-back models. The Deep Bowl, American-made Ovations are by far the best-sounding models. I've woned over a dozen high-end Ovations and Adamas guitars and currently have an Adamas 2087GT-8 Reverse Blue Burst.
The answer is simple, they are way out of my price range. Sub $1000 guitars are my sweet spot. The units shown in this thread, with an OHSC and tax, falls right at $900. I’m golden.

Oh and yes, i am familiar with your Adamas in the reverse blue burst. It’s quite a beautiful guitar!

fd
Old 01-31-2023, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Always have had a warm spot for Ovations, the Legend was my first good acoustic back in 1979-80. I gigged one through the 90's and they were good to me. Frank, I had 3 different ones over the years, none of them was a shallow bowl, so I can't be of much help. The couple you are looking at are mighty pretty.

While I no longer have one, I always think about getting another...
Thanks for stopping by to weigh in, Joseph. It seems, like many things in life, Ovation guitars are quite polarizing. Me, I like them, with my big belly and all!

fd

Last edited by Chickee; 01-31-2023 at 07:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars