The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-25-2023, 07:43 AM

Default Liability Insurance

For those of you who perform at venues, what liability insurance company do you use?

Gibson Southern Jumbo (acoustic)
Gibson Songwriter (acoustic)
Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Bass
Hohner Special 20 harmonicas
Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Piano/Keyboard
Old 01-25-2023, 09:42 AM

Here in the UK, playing in semi-pro bands in pubs - none at all!

It's understood, AFAIK, that the venues are insured. I've certainly never been insured personally, in 57 years of playing live gigs, and I'm fairly sure none of the bands I've played in (around 40) have been. One or two bands did belong to a booking agency, and I suspect they would have had some kind of insurance.

Otherwise, the only official certification I've ever had to get was for the safety of band's electrical equipment, and that was only for one venue. (Obviously that's worth checking for the musicians' own safety too!)

Mind you, in all those 57 years, there has never been one incident where us being uninsured might have been an issue. Maybe I've led a charmed life...
Old 01-25-2023, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

An FYI - Performer Magazine had an article looking at the pros and cons of liability insurance for performing musicians. It was a while back but if you did a search on their website, it might prove informative.
Best,
Jayne
Old 01-25-2023, 10:15 AM

I've never carried liability insurance for gigs, or been in a band that did. But I think it's worth considering. Take a look at THIS ARTICLE.

While I don't think anything I'll do will result in people being stomped to death while rushing in to a venue, I do routinely play gigs where part of the drill is encouraging people to patronize the bar. You could call that part of doing your job, but you could also call it encouraging recklessness. What if "Last call for alcohol!" were to result in a drunk-driving tragedy? Personal injury lawyers often go after EVERYONE, whether the suit has merit or not. Again, worth considering.

Couch Standards
Old 01-25-2023, 10:32 AM

I can imagine that a band with heavy/large/risky equipment (such as lighting rig, flown PA speakers, flash pots) might need liability insurance.

But for acoustic music? Where is the potential for damage?

I have never heard of acoustic acts needing this.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-25-2023, 11:24 AM

Our experience for years has been that we provide a certificate (that 's in effect only for the day of the gig) upon request from a venue (not all of them ask).
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 01-26-2023, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

I believe that, in my 50+ years of performing, I have only been asked about liability insurance ONE TIME!

That was for a corporate gig (one of the few I've done). After researching the subject, I cam up with a price and told the folks hiring me that THEY would have to absorb the cost, along with my fee for the gig.

They got back to me pretty fast and said that their insurance would handle any liability involved...

This was in the late 80's/early 90's, well before the internet was ubiquitous. It wasn't easy to suss out the issue, but I remember that the cost was fairly high for a one performance certificate of coverage...

Never have had to have one at any other gig, never even asked about it. Not once.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-26-2023, 05:06 PM

I'm currently using https://www.insurancecanopy.com/

Before I used https://www.specialtyinsuranceagency.com/
Old 01-26-2023, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
They got back to me pretty fast and said that their insurance would handle any liability involved...
LOL. Corporate procedure Rule Number One: Try to pass on any expense you can to some poor sap you've hired.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
LOL. Corporate procedure Rule Number One: Try to pass on any expense you can to some poor sap you've hired.
In the day job, I used to have the SoCal movie and TV studio known as The Mouse as a client. "Used to," as in "never again." They required me to carry auto insurance covering their employees driving to and from my recording and production sessions. Among other things.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write