The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-24-2022, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yes it's always been widely accepted Paul purposely used the melody from that hymn, although I don't ever recall him addressing that directly. But I still think it's one of his best, and like so many of his songs, captures things in a time and place in my life. For me, much like the Beatles, Paul was inextricably woven into the fabric of society at that moment in time. I don't think you see that so much these days.
Oh I agree with you and played the song, sang it, and recorded it for a girlfriend years ago. I did several Paul Simon songs as I sounded like him on tape. This song was very fitting as she dumped me, and kept the only copy of the tape, which also had Homeward Bound on it complete with my own harmony and other songs.

Kind of funny now but wasn't so funny back then. I felt just like the song back then!

All is fine now as we are friends on Facebook, but I wouldn't trade my present wife I met later for anyone in the world.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

If anyone missed this, it is currently available on Paramount+ and Youtube.

We just watched it and, for the most part, really enjoyed it. I'm not sure what the beef is with Eric Church's performance of Homeward Bound. He did it essentially straight, but with a twang. My low point was the butchering of Mother and Child Reunion. That was dreadful. That said, the last 30 minutes were divine! Take 6's harmonies were jaw-dropping. Angelique Kidjo is a force of nature. Dave Matthews knocked You Can Call Me Al out of the park. After it was over, I had to go back and rewatch that whole sequence.
2023 0-18
2023 Guild D-1212
1977 Takamine F-400S
1976 Takamine F-365S
60's Harmony H1213
Old 01-24-2023, 07:02 AM

Default Guitar Study Center in the 1970s

In 1977 I, too, was a student at Eddie Simon’s Guitar Study Center. I studied classical guitar with a teacher who had studied with Julian Bream. It was a magical place….one of the highlights for me was the opportunity to attend small masters classes with guest artists in a small studio with only a dozen or so other students. Art Garfunkel came one night and blew us all away with his incredible voice. Another night a young, just emerging piano player came with his saxophonist. It was Billy Joel. To this day when I gig, I introduce my cover of “She’s Always a Woman to Me” with this brief story. Ahh, youthful memories….
Old 01-24-2023, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSTR View Post
In 1977 I, too, was a student at Eddie Simon’s Guitar Study Center. I studied classical guitar with a teacher who had studied with Julian Bream. It was a magical place….one of the highlights for me was the opportunity to attend small masters classes with guest artists in a small studio with only a dozen or so other students. Art Garfunkel came one night and blew us all away with his incredible voice. Another night a young, just emerging piano player came with his saxophonist. It was Billy Joel. To this day when I gig, I introduce my cover of “She’s Always a Woman to Me” with this brief story. Ahh, youthful memories….
Cool story.
In his memoirs, Paul Simon recalls how his mother told him at one point when he was young: “Paul, you have a nice voice. But Artie has a FINE voice.”
And that this comment from her really distressed him to no end.

Who knows, maybe he always carried a little bit of resentment towards Garfunkel because of it.
I actually liked Simon's voice better in their early recordings together, even though most people recognized how much "finer" Garfunkel's was.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-25-2023, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I always loved Paul's singing voice, and, even in the 60's (being just a kid) it seemed that Garfunkel was "gettin' above his raisin'" for only being a singer, while Paul was writing the tunes, playing guitar (exquisitely!) and singing, as well...

The vocals on all of Simon's solo efforts have been wonderful, I think... I liked Artie's voice just fine, in some applications, but Paul's seems more versatile.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-25-2023, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Loved it.

I agree about Take 6. They stole the show right from the beginning. The show after that was good but never again reached that level. Even Paul had to comment about them at the end of the show.

Last edited by Rad; 01-25-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

Where did you see this? Nevermind. I see it up above and I have Paramount! Cool!

Last edited by vashondan2018; 01-25-2023 at 05:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN