The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-15-2022, 04:31 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default Gerry Rafferty & Stealers Wheel - Collected

This may be my favorite album of this year - Gerry Rafferty & Stealers Wheel - Collected, a greatest hits sampler from a songwriter I'm just discovering.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...m_Vinyl_Record

So far, my favorite tunes are of course the hits "Stuck in the Middle With You", Baker Street, and Right Down the Line, but also really like "The Ark" "Can I Have My Money Back", Night Owl, City to City - So many hits!

Any Gerry Rafferty fans here?

JR
Old 12-15-2022, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Yes J.R. definitely a fan here.

IMO, the "Can I Have My Money Back" album is a must, as is "City to City".

He was a real good songwriter.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 12-15-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
This may be my favorite album of this year - Gerry Rafferty & Stealers Wheel - Collected, a greatest hits sampler from a songwriter I'm just discovering.

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...m_Vinyl_Record

So far, my favorite tunes are of course the hits "Stuck in the Middle With You", Baker Street, and Right Down the Line, but also really like "The Ark" "Can I Have My Money Back", Night Owl, City to City - So many hits!

Any Gerry Rafferty fans here?

JR
Yup, another one from way back. Stuck in the Middle was the big breakthrough song (I think Rafferty had left Stealers Wheel just before the single was released - It was only Joe Egan in the video release). Had the City to City album - might still have a cd somewhere in the house. Also had a Humblebums album. Can't recall which - think I got it 'on loan' from someone. I recall it being good, except when Billy Connolly sang. A talented fellow, and fine banjo player, but no singer. I vaguely recall him having a funny story about Gerry talking about Billy's singing.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Deering Goodtime Leader O/B banjo
Epiphone IBG SG (in cool dude black)
Old 12-16-2022, 01:48 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Joe, thanks! I am definitely going to keep an eye out for the classic vinyl version of those two albums.

Malcom, appreciate the comments. I had forgotten about the Humblebums! I think there is enough material to do a greatest hits vol 2… some of his hits such as Take the Money and Run, and Stealing Time are missing from the collection I mentioned above.

JR
Old 12-16-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Joe, thanks! I am definitely going to keep an eye out for the classic vinyl version of those two albums.

Malcom, appreciate the comments. I had forgotten about the Humblebums! I think there is enough material to do a greatest hits vol 2… some of his hits such as Take the Money and Run, and Stealing Time are missing from the collection I mentioned above.

JR
'Stealing Time is a beautiful song. I used to sit back with a laphroaig or two listening to City to City back in the 1980s - an album that never grows old. Following your post, I had a dig through the pile of CDs under my stairs (all my vinyl went the way of all things back in the 80s). Found the City to City CD case, but no CD!!! I need to have a word with my wife She is also a big Gerry Rafferty fan (we both come from the same neck of the woods in Scotland as Gerry and Joe Egan - so we have a soft spot for them). I'm listening to the 'On a Wing and a Prayer' album as I write this reply. Again, not heard that for decades. Bringing a tear to my eye. No Laphroaig at the moment, but a red wine is a kind of substitute. Thanks, JR, for prompting this Gerry Rafferty unearthing and listening.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5
Old 12-16-2022, 04:31 PM

I became aware of him around the time of Baker Street. That song was played so much on the stations I listened to that I completely burned out on that signature sax line, and unfortunately stopped listening to him.

But I always love the way he delivered a song and the sound of his voice.

I'll have to delve into him again.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-19-2023, 11:51 PM

I heard that the sax player (studio musician) who played that famous sax line was paid a whole $36. I hope Jerry cut loose with a nice tip. Great song!
Old 01-20-2023, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Well slap my grandma and butter my biscuit!! (Sorry, spending some time in good ol’ cajun country)

Made it to 54 and didnt know he was part of that band, nor that they were Scots!
Love all those tunes, though!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-21-2023, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Well slap my grandma and butter my biscuit!! (Sorry, spending some time in good ol’ cajun country)
Used to work with a guy who had an interesting turn of phrase to describe his surprise; 'Well, bugger me though me oilskins!'.

Anyway, following this re-earthing (can you?) of the great Gerry Rafferty, I started playing an old Stealers' Wheel song at a couple of open mics - Stuck in the Middle. Mainly involving simple sliding into the D chord and slapping the bridge end of the guitar (it gets their attention) Also I'm really lucky that i can still do it in that key .. (pure chance). Everyone loves it. People get up and dance!! Last Thursday night at a shindig I did it, and two blokes at the bar started the rhythmic clapping thing. Great fun. Bloke now wants to play bass with me on it. It's an infectious song - I recommend it

PS - It's more than just a catchy song. I know Joe Egan has some songwriting credit on it, but it is Gerry Rafferty's anger at the music 'business' with its parasites and hangers on that comes through.

Auden Chester 45
Eastman AC322ce
Sigma SDM-SG5

Last edited by A Scot in Otley; 01-21-2023 at 02:59 AM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN