The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-07-2023, 08:17 AM

Default Strings to my Rainsong ch-om

I recently missed the dark and mellow tones of Furch (cedar + mahogany) and Lowden (cedar + walnut) that I had before.
But currently my only favorite is ch-om1000ns!
This will be my lifelong friend.
I love the tone the ch-om1000ns (unidirectional top, 12 fret short scale) makes. (I think the tone of the unidirectional top is more like the tone of a cedar top than a spruce top. In fact, that was the reason I chose ch-om. what do you think?)
And this time I'm going to try other strings, hoping for more of that feeling (cedar and walnut) with ch-om.

I am considering the following options for my ch-om (Factory: Elixir8030 light).
1. Elixir PB light
2. D'Addario XS PB light
3. Daddario NB 1253 (light)
Old 01-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

A thread was just started on this matter on the 5th regarding strings that works well with Rainsong guitars and this is what I posted...............Martin Retros are the one's I've been using on my Raingsong Smokey, they sound great and they last awhile.
Hope that helps
Old 01-07-2023, 11:04 AM

I had the exact same guitar. I know RainSong constructed them to sound warmer with the unidirectional CF top and hybrid back and sides, but even then I went on the hunt for the “warmest “ strings possible. In the end I went with Martin Retros but realize tone is so subjective. They sounded great played any style, easy on the fingers (at least the lights), and last longer than Elixirs.

Is there a reason they don’t make your list?
Old 01-08-2023, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I had the exact same guitar. I know RainSong constructed them to sound warmer with the unidirectional CF top and hybrid back and sides, but even then I went on the hunt for the “warmest “ strings possible. In the end I went with Martin Retros but realize tone is so subjective. They sounded great played any style, easy on the fingers (at least the lights), and last longer than Elixirs.

Is there a reason they don’t make your list?
Like CRM and steelvibe, I too would suggest the Martin Retros. I have the CH-Om and I really like them on it.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 01-10-2023, 06:48 PM

I went through the same process when I bought a CH-OM several years ago. I ended up settling on Martin Retros... specifically a medium/light hybrid set called LJ's Choice MLJ13 (13/17/24/32/42/56, compared to 12/15/25/31/41/54 for lights). They made quite a difference, fattening up the trebles and giving a bit more oomph to the base, while still being pretty easy on my fretting hand.
Old 01-10-2023, 07:40 PM

Elixir should be the most durable options (can survive half year approximately). However, I hate the coating wear off after playing a week or so. I have good result with Martin lifespan. EXP strings have been tried too, not bad but it takes a day or 2 to warm up. I only use PB strings.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-12-2023, 10:27 PM

I have a CH-OM1000NS too! It was my first Rainsong. I bought it used online from Guitar Center. I’ve been using Elixir PB on it. I love the sound and the playability of this guitar. Reading your post makes me want to experiment with other strings too.
Old 01-13-2023, 01:55 AM

I have Elixir PB on my Rainsong.

In my experience playing with a pick can damage the coating. It will come off in small flakes. I play only with my fingers (and nails) which does not seem to affect the coating too much.

Sometimes however other people play my guitar with a pick and that usually means I have to change strings immediately afterwards.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber