The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2023, 06:33 PM

AAAGHHH!! Schatten HFN Active VT ordered. It’ll be here in a few days and I’ll report back when I’ve installed it. Trying to decide between the Anthem, K&K Mini, Dazzo and the Schatten made my head spin.

In the end, I chose the Schatten as it did not involve an UST, and I just wanted something simple that would allow me to plug in occasionally and sound good. We shall see…

Thanks for all the thoughts and recommendations, everyone.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:21 AM

I hope it makes you feel better to know, you are not the first and only guitar player who suffers with that issue.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 02-06-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilver View Post
AAAGHHH!! Schatten HFN Active VT ordered. It’ll be here in a few days and I’ll report back when I’ve installed it. Trying to decide between the Anthem, K&K Mini, Dazzo and the Schatten made my head spin.

In the end, I chose the Schatten as it did not involve an UST, and I just wanted something simple that would allow me to plug in occasionally and sound good. We shall see…

Thanks for all the thoughts and recommendations, everyone.
The nice thing with the Schatten HFN is it's easy to install and easy to remove if you don't like it (double stick tape instead of superglue). It will require some EQ to get it dialed in, but I've been happy with it in two of my guitars. It doesn't have the woofy low end problem of the K&K, but I do have to cut some of the high end since it can be bright and pickup some string noise. Others have stated it lacks low end, but I haven't had that problem.
McConnell MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 02-06-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder View Post
The nice thing with the Schatten HFN is it's easy to install and easy to remove if you don't like it (double stick tape instead of superglue). It will require some EQ to get it dialed in, but I've been happy with it in two of my guitars. It doesn't have the woofy low end problem of the K&K, but I do have to cut some of the high end since it can be bright and pickup some string noise. Others have stated it lacks low end, but I haven't had that problem.
I got the active version with the volume and tone controls, so hopefully, that will help. The woofy low end is precisely why I didn’t go with K&K. I know YouTube videos are not a god measure of how things really sound, but EVERY video I watched demonstrating the K&K pure mini sounded dull. If necessary, I’ll add an external preamp, but I was really just hoping for something that was plug and play that sounded halfway decent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification