The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Filter caps on fenders

On later model re-issed fender amps, would it be wise to replace/upgrade filter capacitors at some point? I read that they are notoriously cheap, and can fail with no warning, damaging the circuit board, so the “if it aint broke,,,” mantra May not apply.

Im not looking for tone enhancement or anything, just safeguarding the gear.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 12-01-2020, 12:18 PM

from what I've heard, it's the same as what you're saying.

It's too bad the fender forum shut down,, there were a few guys that were always active on there that were long time amp techs and had tons of experience with just this kind of question.
Old 12-01-2020, 12:46 PM

In my experience,its the smart thing to do.Not only as a preventive type thing but good quality caps will vastly improve the response and tone.Beginning in the mid 90's I started getting a run on repairs to many Devilles,Blues Deluxes, Juniors and re-issue Deluxes and the like.All exhibited various symptoms and every one was fixed by changing filter caps to good quality caps.The only caps I use are F&T,Sprague or BMI brands,F&T being the best pricewise.I have even talked new owners of these newer Fenders into changing the caps when they were having no issues.Every one was amazed at the improvement in performance, tighter bass, more clarity and overall tone.Filter caps are the heart and soul of a tube amp.Even the best caps should be changed at around 10 yrs.You may think they are ok, but over time the caps deteriorate gradually,faster if the amp is rarely used, this slow deterioration makes your ears adjust to the changes gradually so you dont notice the change til you put fresh caps.The asian caps most manufacturers use are adequate but die faster than they should.Back in the 90's I made an offer on a Mesa forum that if your caps are 10 yrs or older,I'll change them and if you didnt notice a marked improvement I would put the old ones back no charge.Over the next 2 years or so I got about 50 takers,I never had to put the old caps back.If your tech tells you that the brand makes no difference,find another tech,but get those asian craps out of your tube amps.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
from what I've heard, it's the same as what you're saying.

It's too bad the fender forum shut down,, there were a few guys that were always active on there that were long time amp techs and had tons of experience with just this kind of question.

I was on that forum for a while. Very helpful during my beginning months. A few made a Facebook group but it’s been quite inactive as of lately.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars