The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-22-2022, 11:23 AM

Default pro's and con's of music apps for lyrics and set lists

Hi all I am old old school with the 3 ring binder for last 50 years, but thinking with my new 11"ipad pro, it might be time to finally transfer it all over to a music app and try out using a tablet for small gigs and practice.

I have been using google docs to write original songs or to find lyrics on line and then copy/paste them to Docs. I do not really need the chord changes, I am pretty good at figuring that out and memorizing the chord and fingering patterns that work for me. I just note on the top of the chart the title, key, capo, alt tuning and basic format of the song. But my old mind is not so sharp as it once was with memorizing all the words and nice to have a "cheat sheet" for some help when I need it.

I want to easily make up set lists, transfer my existing songs from google docs, transfer new songs from online sources, be able to transpose keys easily. And be simple and not too complicated and absolutely bomber without tech issues to worry about, if that is possible. Be compatible with my PC, apple ipad/iphone and maybe to my Chromebook tablet. And not bankrupt me with excessive ever rising annual subscription costs. And not be dependent on wifi to be able to use it when out on river trips or wilderness.

I know this comes up here occasionally. So maybe some links to past posts would be helpful. But I thought a post on current options with pros and cons of the various popular options and might be good start for me. My bass player techie savvy friend suggested set list helper as is is simple and affordable, but I read on some reviews about horror stories on the app crashing in middle of gigs, ugh!!! On other end of spectrum is OnSong, that another music buddy uses, but it seems so pricey and complicated for my needs. I am thinking Songbook Pro might be the sweet spot for my needs?? But need to do some homework on it all. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:31 AM

I’ve used SongBook for the last 10 years or so. Been very happy with it.
I use it for lyric/chord charts and set lists.
It transposes at will if a singer needs a different key.
400+ Songs across several genres for the different projects I’m doing.
Perfect for my needs.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Perfect for my needs.
Hi, how do you upload your songs?
(I have all mine on MS-Word).
Old 06-24-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Assuming we're talking about Songbook Pro, which is what I use, any file of the extension: filename.docx
the files import directly into the app. No problems.
To be clear, files of the type: filename.doc do not import for whatever reason.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:33 AM

I use forscore on my iPad Scan the song into notes with the scanner function and use actions to move them over. I created folders for ukulele and guitar and create set lists for the things I’m working on
Old 06-25-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I also use Songbook…have used it for four years now.

You can import a song in several ways. If you find one in Chordpro format (usually on Chordie.com website), you can import it directly, and it will available to change key, etc. or you can import it as a word doc, but it will be an image - that is, the chords will not automatically change for a key change. You can also save it as a text file on Dropbox, and connect that to Songbook, and it will automatically transfer.

You can make set lists from your library of songs. I have about 500 songs on mine.

One more thing, Chordie.com stores “songbooks” from many people which are free to download.

If you don’t need the chords, you can always find the lyrics online and save them that way.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Duplicate post.
Old 06-26-2022, 09:37 PM

Thanks, I think songbook pro makes most sense and will work for me
Old 06-27-2022, 01:04 AM

I'm 68. I run FOH sound for an open mic and showcase venue, and a lot of the folks I stick mics in front of are at least my age. I'm a singer/songwriter myself, and play both in a loud electric 3-piece and acoustic by myself, and here's my take:

Memorize it. No music stands, no notebooks, no iPads.

It's two things: 1. Mental exercise your deteriorating faculties need, and, 2. The best way of putting your performance across. I mean, how can you mean it if you're reading it?

Do the work, people.

Couch Standards
Old 06-27-2022, 08:07 AM

Gotta say this. Then gang up on me, I may deserve it…..

Close your eyes, listen to the live music. How does it sound?
Open your eyes, see the performer with sheet music. Now how does it sound?
Right or wrong, I have always felt music was about the sound.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm 68. I run FOH sound for an open mic and showcase venue, and a lot of the folks I stick mics in front of are at least my age. I'm a singer/songwriter myself, and play both in a loud electric 3-piece and acoustic by myself, and here's my take:

It's two things: 1. Mental exercise your deteriorating faculties need, and, 2. The best way of putting your performance across. I mean, how can you mean it if you're reading it?

Do the work, people.
Hi Brent…
Sounds a bit harsh (unlike you).

Easy to say, but many of us who play on church Worship Teams and are handed charts on Tues or Wed for rehearsal and playing 3-5 new pieces every week or every other week.

Most musicians prefer the security of a chart in these situations, and a tablet offers painless chart integration, including reversing the screen to black and the lettering in white to keep the iPad from turning into a spotlight on stage.

And if your brain still retains everything at age 68, good for you. Not so for everyone.

I normally have the songs memorized for our Worship Team by the second time around (we don't get new songs every week), and it's easy enough to ignore the charts I don't need - except when the leader changes 2 or 3 things in the arrangement for a particular week.

Having taught guitar and music for over 40 years, I assure you most players have not developed the skill of instant/quick memorization, and have lives outside their musical performing arena.

And when playing in band situations, it's not just memorizing charts, but also entrances, lay-out sections, solos…in other terms, the arrangements.

Five songs a week, every week begins to accumulate pretty quickly. Our teams keep a 50 song active list, which ⅓ changes out every 6 months. Pretty aggressive schedule for part time players.

Especially when the Worship Team is not their only 'gig'.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-27-2022, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarsaune View Post
Perfect for my needs.
i'll second SongBook. Been using it 8 or 9 years. Easy to use, transposes, scrolls.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 06-27-2022, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post

Do the work, people.
There's something very satisfying about being able to play and sing a set of songs from memory. But it does take time and work, often away from my guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-27-2022, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I save them in text format (not .doc), then plug the tablet into the PC and move them over into the Songbook folder.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write