The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-01-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Hi Cotten,
I would imagine the size and cost of shipping is prohibitive for value priced monitors. My main criteria for monitors is how they sound for the acoustic guitar, and the sweet spot I've found for that is 5". I've been using Equator D5's for about 2 years now and have been very satisfied. I tried some 7" monitor in roughly the same price range, maybe 25% less, and was not at all satisfied with the bass. It wasn't an level issue but the larger speaker just didn't have the clarity I like.
D5s are wonderful for the price, are very reasonable. For use as a nearfield set, cannot be beat. Love mine.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 04-02-2016, 08:03 AM

When I decided to set up a more compact area for doing audio editing I moved from stand mounted Event 20/20s (8") to Presonus Eris 5 monitors (actually5.25") that sit directly on the desk.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ErisE5

These sound good, actually fit a desktop production situation, and occasionally can be found on sale much lower than the standard $300 / pair pricing. The trade-off of having less low bass is well worth the size advantage IMHO.

You can do perfectly fine mixes on smaller monitors; the secret is to train your ear to work with them and take into consideration what your mixes will sound like on larger systems.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
I learned that I should probably wait a while on monitors, so that I can pay a bit more for higher quality. Thanks, and rats!

cotten
Everyone hear will offer this advice with almost everything that someone wants to buy. Do what works for you.

Now someone tell me what a studio monitor is really. Just a speaker right?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Yup, the decision will be up to me. Just asking my AGF friends about a question that neither my wife nor our cat has proven much help on. And for your information, a studio monitor is NOT just a speaker. It's a very special speaker, which is why they can charge more.

cotten
Old 04-02-2016, 01:37 PM

You might be safer with passive (non-powered) monitors if you are looking for cheap second hand ones. Like these for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Event-20-20-...gAAOSwv9hW2leh

You would need an amplifier as well. Once the cheap active monitors break down you would be lucky to get them fixed for a good price.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-02-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
You might be safer with passive (non-powered) monitors if you are looking for cheap second hand ones. Like these for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Event-20-20-...gAAOSwv9hW2leh

You would need an amplifier as well. Once the cheap active monitors break down you would be lucky to get them fixed for a good price.
i have the event 20/20 8" and they are great speakers. i also have their powered brothers, the ps8 which are basically the same speakers, but powered.

play music.

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 04-02-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Everyone hear will offer this advice with almost everything that someone wants to buy. Do what works for you.

definite no. not only the speaker but an electronic crossover network is inside. i just replaced the caps in a set of infinity 2000a speakers and the difference was monumental. also note that some monitors include more than one speaker as they may have a woofer, midrange, tweeter and passive radiator setup.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Thanks, carzenk, and welcome to the AGF. You're among friends here, so feel free pull up a chair, relax, to join the conversation.

cotten
Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks, carzenk, and welcome to the AGF. You're among friends here, so feel free pull up a chair, relax, to join the conversation.

cotten
Thanks! Did you end up buying used ones?
Old 01-30-2017, 02:11 PM

No, haven't bought anything yet. Other priorities jumped ahead. I did decide that the used JBL LSR305s at a local pawn shop were too expensive to gamble on. Being rear ported was one issue for me, and another was that I have no way of trying them out in my setting without paying for them first. There is no return privilege. Maybe if the asking price was half what it is, and I could get at least most of my money back if I didn't like them. Buying new monitors looks like it's going to be a better idea for me, even if it means waiting a while.

A few week ago, I stopped by a shop that had a rather large array of studio monitors to try with my kind of music. I discovered that I have more expensive tastes than I had hoped, even as a beginner in the recording world.

For now, I'm using my in-ear monitors, though I know that what I'm hearing is different from the sounds of my mixes on other speakers. But since it's for my ears only at this point, that's acceptable.

cotten
Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 PM

Imo, a good value in used powered monitors is the Mackie HR824. MKI. Can often be had for $500 - $600 a pair. Will do an acceptable job for just about anything you wish to do.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-06-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
No, haven't bought anything yet. Other priorities jumped ahead. I did decide that the used JBL LSR305s at a local pawn shop were too expensive to gamble on. Being rear ported was one issue for me, and another was that I have no way of trying them out in my setting without paying for them first. There is no return privilege. Maybe if the asking price was half what it is, and I could get at least most of my money back if I didn't like them. Buying new monitors looks like it's going to be a better idea for me, even if it means waiting a while.

A few week ago, I stopped by a shop that had a rather large array of studio monitors to try with my kind of music. I discovered that I have more expensive tastes than I had hoped, even as a beginner in the recording world.

For now, I'm using my in-ear monitors, though I know that what I'm hearing is different from the sounds of my mixes on other speakers. But since it's for my ears only at this point, that's acceptable.

cotten
Yeah I think you made the right decision. Waiting is definitely worth it. Too bad you can't just order a new pair and return it if you don't like it. What kind of in-ear monitors are you using? If you're interested in getting a new pair while you save up some money for a pair of expensive studio monitors, I recommend the Sony MDR 7506. MSRP is $130 but I'm sure you can get it for a cheaper price somewhere.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:09 PM

Look for a used pair of Alesis Monitor One MK2. I`ve used them for 20 years and they still deliver!. Check them out.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post

Absolutely true. As in a guitar is just a stringed instrument right ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM

Following up: I decided against buying used studio monitors. Instead, I got a pair of new KRK Rokit G3 5" monitors, the special Silver & Black edition that was a recent Stupid Deal of the Day from Musicians Friend. Just got them in and set up. At first glance they are perfect for my needs/budget at this time. If and when I get more into recording, I might be ready to step up, but for now I am quite pleased. Thanks, everyone, for your help!

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD