The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-07-2020, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

Default THE ONE

And so, when I started playing many years ago, I played with pawn shop and 4th-hand guitars with bowed necks, cracked faces, and so forth. Once in a while I even made music.

I eventually moved to nylon strung guitars and managed to buy better guitars. About ten years ago I began the quest for the one, the chalice. Within five years I went through more than 40 nylon string guitars of every imaginable mode--acoustic, electric, headless, and bodiless. When I found the Takamine Santa Fe with fantastic turquoise inlays I thought I was there.

And then I ran across the darned Cargo. Bought a CA Cargo, then an Ox. But I like nylon and the search began for a nylon carbon fiber guitar.

I did 3 Blackbird nylon string instruments, several Rainsongs, tried the Laviora. By this time I had managed to learn a bit about guitars and thought I knew what I wanted when I ran across Emerald guitars and the chance to have a guitar to my specs.

I started with a 10, sold it and went to a 20--which was a little bigger than I like. I moved back to a 10 with the offset sound hold, slot-head tuners, BBand electronics, in a ruby red weave. Thought I was there. But then realized that I really should go for an electric while I was at, hence the 7 thin-bodied, hollow, Active Barbera pickup, Royal Ebony veneered guitar.

The 7 electric was a little small for me, so I then went for a 10, which I didn't bond with and sold. So, I'm playing with a 7 electric and a 10 acoustic/electric and finding myself going to the 10 more than the electric. I've tried electrics before and just never married one.

A few weeks ago I got the wild hair to move away from Classical guitars for a moment and try out a Flameco guitar--because I've loved the sound. Got one--lasted about 2 days--sharp edged, outrageous nut width, uncomfortable as all get out.

I think the 10 may be my chalice, the ONE. It plays well with other acoustics, it electrifies nicely, is very comfortable, and beautiful enough that people come up to take a look. And it sounds so goooood.

From what I've read on this forum, my quest is not unique. My methods may be differ, but the hunt seems pretty universal.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:38 PM

I think I'd call you the guitar whisperer. Glad you got a good one. Your tenacity is awesome and has helped me in my quest.

I love my Kestrel, but then again I can't part with my X20 or Lucky 13. Each has a niche that they fill so well.

Can I call on you to talk me down when I get my next bad case of GAS?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-08-2020, 09:11 AM
Guest 928

Mot;

I'd be more likely to talk you up just to keep the gas burning and the lights on bright.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Evan, I also have a Takamine Santa Fe with turquoise inlay that I purchased in 1998 or 1999. I like the tonal qualities of that guitar. The things that I don’t like about that guitar are probably the the same things that you liked - the thicker neck profile, and the radius of the fingerboard.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

Cecil;

I didn't mind the thick neck or the radius. While it became my favorite wooden classical guitar, I did end up with the same objections I have to current CF nylon strung guitars; weak projection relative to a good traditional classic instrument.

As a hybrid, the Takamine had a cut-a-way, which I believe diminishes sound. The guitar also has electronics replete with battery, wires, and control unit--I believe that these result in an oxymoron.

On one hand the electrics provide enhanced projection; but on the other, the electronics diminish acoustic sound by virtue of weight and attachment to the resonating interior of a guitar. A hybrid is neither this nor that.

But wow! it is a truly beautiful guitar and is the one wooden instrument that I should have kept. You have nice taste.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber