The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Always on an aux and always after an EQ to tailor the reverb response.
Yeah, I always use an aux, and this sort of thing is one reason to do it. For example, on solo guitar, I sometimes put a de-clicker before the reverb on the aux track, and I can be pretty aggressive about it to prevent clicks, etc from being accentuated by the reverb, without interfering with the direct sound. Subtle, but every little bit helps.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I also use stereo auxiliary tracks for reverb. When doing so, it is helpful to make sure my DAW's latency compensation is working to make sure the remixing of the dry sound and the AUX reverb tracks are properly time-aligned. While that doesn't matter as much for reverbs in general (or other time based processing) as it does to non-time based processing (such as eq, compression, limiting), it still lines up the early reflections with the direct sound more accurately and tightens the spacial image.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:58 PM

Wow everyone, thanks for the great responses, sorry I haven't checked in for a while. Exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for.

I record and mix in a basement project studio that barely deserves the name. I've still got volumes to learn about engineering and mixing, and reverb is one of things that's always given me fits.

For solo acoustic guitar, the idea of convolution reverb certainly has aesthetic appeal. But all I'm looking for is reverb I can live with. If I can get it from some kind of hardware emulation, I'm all for it. Less tweaking, I hope. Delay, pre-delay, EQ and mix are the only controls I really understand. And now I'm armed with the recommendations here. Thanks again.

One last comment: when I used to record on Cakewalk Sonar, I always used an aux send for reverb. Now that I'm using Pro Tools ... setting up the busses is just a pain. My thinking is, for a solo instrument, or for any effect that's only going to be used on one track, what's the difference? According to what I'm reading here, maybe there is a difference? I guess I'll have to look into it futher, since reverb is my obsession of the month...
Old 10-07-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Yeah, I always use an aux, and this sort of thing is one reason to do it. For example, on solo guitar, I sometimes put a de-clicker before the reverb on the aux track, and I can be pretty aggressive about it to prevent clicks, etc from being accentuated by the reverb, without interfering with the direct sound. Subtle, but every little bit helps.
Oh man, brilliant! Bet it works for string squeak, doesn't it? Reverb always makes it 10 times worse. Going to try this at my first opportunity. (Guess I better refresh my memory on how to bus in Pro Tools).
Old 10-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

I rarely use aux tracks when working just with a solo guitar recording. Equalization needs are minimal. Extraneous clicks, etc., are about non existent. Also some
of the native reverbs I use have equalization setting choices (affecting only the wet, not dry signal) as part of the plug-in. For me post recording it is in order from
first to last volume balancing, delay on R or L as needed, equalization as needed (usually none other than a high pass filter), and light reverb. Rarely any need for
compression, limiting, or dithering.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-08-2017, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Slim II View Post
One last comment: when I used to record on Cakewalk Sonar, I always used an aux send for reverb. Now that I'm using Pro Tools ... setting up the busses is just a pain. My thinking is, for a solo instrument, or for any effect that's only going to be used on one track, what's the difference? According to what I'm reading here, maybe there is a difference? I guess I'll have to look into it futher, since reverb is my obsession of the month...
While I realise some DAW's auto route busses. I guess unclear what is the "pain" in setting up a bus in PT ? It only takes a few seconds to click a send on the guitar track choose a buss number, create an aux track click it's input and select the send buss.
Plus If you create user defined session templates for you most used types of session configurations. Then everything is already all set up --- tracks, routing, plugins and settings, all custom named to your liking . And you can have the template dialog box open on launch of Pt .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 10-08-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
While I realise some DAW's auto route busses. I guess unclear what is the "pain" in setting up a bus in PT ? It only takes a few seconds to click a send on the guitar track choose a buss number, create an aux track click it's input and select the sen buss.
I think it's an issue of temperament. Here in a place like an acoustic guitar forum, there are lots of folks who like things solo and simple. You, on the other hand, make full-on productions (as do I) and not only can cope with a bit more complexity, you probably enjoy it.

Couch Standards
Old 10-08-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I think it's an issue of temperament. Here in a place like an acoustic guitar forum, there are lots of folks who like things solo and simple. You, on the other hand, make full-on productions (as do I) and not only can cope with a bit more complexity, you probably enjoy it.
Yes there certainly is the the difference in types productions which I get. But there is also different positions on the path of learning any given DAW and or what one is used to workflow wise if they have switched from another DAW.
I was asking simply if it was the lack auto routing, or having to route it manually, or both that he was referring too. I was not challenging or anything negative.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I was not challenging or anything negative.
Didn't mean to imply that.

Couch Standards
Old 10-08-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Didn't mean to imply that.
No I did not think you were , but your post got me thinking that it could possibly be taken that way in the crazy universe of forum posting. So it was an added general statement, not really part of my reply to you

So back to the discussion and to clarify. I do use an aux track for the verb always and would do so even with just a solo instrument. Because, if for no other reason than it leaves open the possibility of adding processing to just the reverb as opposed to the source track or different processing on the verb itself . And if I am using the verb on one source/track only, I run the send at unity gain, and reduce the level of the aux track.
If I am using the same verb on multiple sources, then I leave the aux track fader at unity gain and reduce the send levels

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For solo acoustic guitar, the idea of convolution reverb certainly has aesthetic appeal. But all I'm looking for is reverb I can live with. If I can get it from some kind of hardware emulation, I'm all for it. Less tweaking, I hope. Delay, pre-delay, EQ and mix are the only controls I really understand. And now I'm armed with the recommendations here. Thanks again.
One thing I have realized is that when I use reverb I am actually using two reverbs. The room in which I record generates a reverb when I record and that can't be changed. This original reverb may be minor, e.g., a faint ambience, or it may be more pronounced, e.g., cave sounding. This obviously depends on the room in which the recording is made, mic placements, etc. That original reverb gets "re-reverbed" a second time when I add a reverb plugin or external reverb unit when mixing.

Quote:
Setup a ProTools template with the output and input busses and aux track already created, along with the input tracks and master output.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post

Setup a ProTools template with the output and input busses and aux track already created, along with the input tracks and master output.
Agree I suggested this also it is such a great time saver. I have multiple session templates that I have setup. One template each of the different combinations of bit size and sample rate...... labeled "16-44" or "24 -44" or "24-48" and "24-96" . although I now mostly use 24 bit 48k samples.

Also I always set up an Aux input track as a (session master sub bus) labeled "2 Mix" that almost all the tracks are output to. So that any full session FX that I might want to be applied pre fader can be done. Given the inserts on a Master Fader Track are post fader.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-08-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
While I realise some DAW's auto route busses. I guess unclear what is the "pain" in setting up a bus in PT ? It only takes a few seconds to click a send on the guitar track choose a buss number, create an aux track click it's input and select the send buss.
Heh heh, I think your description describes exactly why it's a pain. Five steps in multiple screens or windows, vs. 1 step in my previous DAW.

But you're right, I need to learn my DAW better. I've sequenced full orchestral scores in Sonar, and I knew how groups and multiple effect sends and busses in general worked on that platform.

But I'm really new to Pro Tools. At the moment I'm limiting myself to solo acoustic tracks, maybe an overdub or two, and that's it. But eventually I am going to have to get comfortable bussing my signal in PT...whether it's a pain or not!
Old 10-08-2017, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Heh heh, I think your description describes exactly why it's a pain. Five steps in multiple screens or windows, vs. 1 step in my previous DAW.

But you're right, I need to learn my DAW better. I've sequenced full orchestral scores in Sonar, and I knew how groups and multiple effect sends and busses in general worked on that platform.

But I'm really new to Pro Tools. At the moment I'm limiting myself to solo acoustic tracks, maybe an overdub or two, and that's it. But eventually I am going to have to get comfortable bussing my signal in PT...whether it's a pain or not!
Ya I guess I've worked with PT so long that it's workflow just seems simple to me.
But I highly suggest doing the user created Session templates that sdelsoray and I mentioned . It is a selection under File called "Save as Template". Once you do save it in the system, it then becomes a selection in the Dashboard that pops up at launch, when you have the Create Session from Template button checked.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-09-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 AM

I use ReaVerb, and in Reaper's manual, they give you a link to d/l some IRs. then someone passed on a huge file of 'rooms', plates, etc. If anyone would like the link to d/l them, let me know.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD