The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-27-2014, 08:08 PM

took another stab at it. Still fighting boominess but maybe it will eq out. These are straight form the computer. Disabled the low cut. Tried like hell to avoid the sound hole. Used 3 different guitars.

OM35

Eastman E60m

00018GE

Old 12-27-2014, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Another big improvement! Much better. Still getting this weird resonant bump on a few bass notes. It's most prevalent on the IV chord, I think you're capo II? So it's an F#, which is likely a resonant mode in the room you're in. You might enter your room dimensions into a mode calculator like this one:

http://www.mcsquared.com/modecalc.htm

and see if you get a mode around F, F# or G. I hear it on all three guitars, in both channels.

I'm guessing that's it, but I did a quick double check with my Zoom and a Martin OM-28 and hear no boom, even in my 11x12 untreated room. I shot a semi-selfie :-) trying to capture the guitar and mics, in case it helps to see my mic position. Mics here are 20 inches apart and 10 inches from the guitar. I'm hearing a reasonably natural sound from this.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the mic selfie Doug. Very informative. I would think at that close to the mics you would get alot of proximity effect, but your recording sample of the 2020's and Zoom sounds great.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Thanks for the mic selfie Doug. Very informative. I would think at that close to the mics you would get alot of proximity effect, but your recording sample of the 2020's and Zoom sounds great.

I sometimes go even closer. I'm not sure why you get so much more of a pronounced proximity effect. With the Martin, it's pretty natural, and not a lot of bass at all at this distance.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Could be the ADK A6. If you go to www.recordinghacks.com you can compare the A6 frequency chart to the AT2020. I know we said not to pay attention to specs, but the A6 has alot more boost 800hz and lower. Something to keep in mind perhaps, though obviously the best thing to try a prospective mic for yourself.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

It does appear, if those charts are correct, that the AT has a bit of low end rolloff, tho they describe the ADK has having one in the text, even tho the cart seems to show a bump. But I also don't generally have bass issues with any of the mics I use. The Schoeps are quite flat, for example, I don't think there's any rolloff with those within the range we're interested in.

In this thread, the issue is a bit different, I don't think we're hearing proximity effect or a bass bump in the mic. Up till the last recording posted, there was very little bass to speak of, yet you can still hear a resonant peak on some bass notes. It could be the guitar - a "wolf note" - but we hear it on all guitars. So I suspect room acoustics.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Could be the ADK A6. If you go to www.recordinghacks.com you can compare the A6 frequency chart to the AT2020. I know we said not to pay attention to specs, but the A6 has alot more boost 800hz and lower. Something to keep in mind perhaps, though obviously the best thing to try a prospective mic for yourself.
All the samples I dis yesterday and today were done with the tlm102s. I for a a second one for Xmas anton. What I might try tommorrow in addition to more rooms and placement is the cad m179s. It's likely my room but it's fun experimenting and I'm learning alot. I'm very grateful for everyone's assistance
Old 12-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Ok and the continues. These were recorded the other day but ive been busy. This was done in a approx 16 x 16 room. Some absorbers on the wall. As you know ive been trying to different things to get a better recording and a better grasp on recording. I did two different lengths this time. Ive noticed the bass gets less wild if Im using a thumb pick.

If my levels are too high please let me know. Im still trying to get a feel for what levels to shoot for I typically do everything low.

Guitar 00028EC, Mics 24 inches apart. 10 inches from guitar.

Guitrar00028EC, Mics 24 inches apart. 18 inches from guitar
Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Im traveling, and am only able to listen over ear buds. It sounds ok to me, but its hard to be sure.
Old 12-31-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Im traveling, and am only able to listen over ear buds. It sounds ok to me, but its hard to be sure.
Safe travels Doug.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Finally had a chance to listen to this. Again, more progress! I don't hear the weird resonant bass notes anymore (maybe a little, but mostly gone). Levels seem good.

But there's still something odd going on. The sound seems a bit compressed, and is distorted in a few places. Is this the raw audio out of the zoom? Do you have compression enabled on the Zoom? There's an overall fuzziness that shouldn't be there. I'd expect some of this indistinct sound if you were using the internal Zoom mics (actually, even they should sound better than this), but your TLM 102's should sound much better.

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-06-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Finally had a chance to listen to this. Again, more progress! I don't hear the weird resonant bass notes anymore (maybe a little, but mostly gone). Levels seem good.

But there's still something odd going on. The sound seems a bit compressed, and is distorted in a few places. Is this the raw audio out of the zoom? Do you have compression enabled on the Zoom? There's an overall fuzziness that shouldn't be there. I'd expect some of this indistinct sound if you were using the internal Zoom mics (actually, even they should sound better than this), but your TLM 102's should sound much better than this.
Likely crappy editing by me or poor technique. this proves mics dont matter hahahhhaha

on a serious note the comp limiter was off on the zoom. I ran the 1176N compressor during post though. I'll put the file straight from the recorder on dropbox.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewing6283 View Post
Likely crappy editing by me or poor technique. this proves mics dont matter hahahhhaha

on a serious note the comp limiter was off on the zoom. I ran the 1176N compressor during post though. I'll put the file straight from the recorder on dropbox.
OK, checked out your raw file. The compression went away, so I'd say you're overdoing it on the processing. But there's still some fuzziness to the sound. And there's some audible distortion in a few places. It seems to me that I'm still hearing a lot of room sound, so it may just be a matter of room acoustics. Those peaky notes are much better, but still there as well. Is there any chance you don't have the Zoom set to 48 volt phantom? Are you using batteries or a power supply?

I just sent you a quick recording using my Zoom, Martin OM, and the AT2020's still set up like that photo. Not sure if it will help, and it's in no way a fabulous recording, but maybe it will give you some sort of reference. Grasping at straws as to what to suggest.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:45 PM

Just double checked everything. Phantom Power was on 48v.

I know room has a lot to do with it but Im sure im botching something in my setup. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD