The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 AM

Default troubleshoot me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
Box.net seems pretty cool, I've used it and it works well for sharing music with friends

Right click on the file and click properties. There should be a line that says "Type of file:"
Thanks, Luo. But for the free personal account, Box.net says there's a 25Mb file limit. My first sound file says "Wave Sound, 25.5MB" and that's only 2 minutes long. (Does that sound right?) I also can't get much volume when my PC plays the file, whether over headphones or PC speakers--it's only say about level 4 out of 10 maybe. Sounds great through the Tascam (fidelity and volume headroom), but apparently degrades when transferred to PC. So I'm worried about further degradation if I were to upload tune to a host site. Advice anyone?
thanks,
Old 02-26-2011, 12:33 AM

Default do I like it, OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgguitarman View Post
How do you like it?
Is it easy to use?

I'm thinking about buying this unit.

Thanks.
I like it. Easy to use? I have no experience to compare it with anything else. But if you don't mind an 85 page instruction manual, it's easy to use. Probably not as easy as what I have read about Zoom anything. But I prefer lotsa knobs over lotsa software menus. Would be nice if I could link you to what I've recorded so far on my nylon string, but I'm having "end chain" issues, as mentioned in above posts.

If you get the Tascam DP-008, I recommend Musician's Friend. Call them with the Amazon price and they will beat it.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHS View Post
Thanks, Luo. But for the free personal account, Box.net says there's a 25Mb file limit. My first sound file says "Wave Sound, 25.5MB" and that's only 2 minutes long. (Does that sound right?) I also can't get much volume when my PC plays the file, whether over headphones or PC speakers--it's only say about level 4 out of 10 maybe. Sounds great through the Tascam (fidelity and volume headroom), but apparently degrades when transferred to PC. So I'm worried about further degradation if I were to upload tune to a host site. Advice anyone?
thanks,
Frank, I don't recommend that you upload WAV files to any internet site because they are just too large. WAV files can easily be converted to MP3 which will be much smaller. There are a number of programs available that can be used to convert the files, or you can burn an audio disc and then rip it using Windows Media Player (it rips to MP3). If you use the rip method, use a re-writable disc so you don't have to waste an entire disc on one song.

You can use almost any recording software such as Audacity (free) to adjust the volume of your WAV files. In Audacity, under the effects menu, there is an "amplify" function that will automatically adjust peak volume to maximum. If you use Audacity to adjust EQ and other parameters, adjust the volume last because most other adjustments will also have an impact on volume.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 02-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

It shouldn't degrade when you upload to a host site like soundcloud or box.net. It would for YouTube, because they reprocess everything.

http://www2.online-convert.com/ <-This is a pretty nifty website for converting almost anything.

I recommend Audacity as well. It's a nice program that can easily convert and boost volume. If you can't get it going, I could try to do it for you
Old 02-26-2011, 10:18 AM

+1 on the Boss Micro BR.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
+1 on the Boss Micro BR.
It looks like the Micro is geared more towards electric players?

The demos that I've seen are all with an electric guitar?
Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Hey FrankHS, did you happen to use the reverb? is so, did it transfer on the wave file to your computer? Thanks.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It looks like the Micro is geared more towards electric players?

The demos that I've seen are all with an electric guitar?
By and large, I'd say yes. It is more geared toward electric players from the guitar tone options they provide and to the drum tracks and jam tracks that are built-in. And it does that very well.

However, it's not to the point that it excludes acoustic play. I've recorded some nice acoustic tracks on it.

And the mp3 playback/slow down function is great for practice. All in all, a powerful, compact little machine.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 02-26-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Hey FrankHS, did you happen to use the reverb? is so, did it transfer on the wave file to your computer? Thanks.
Yes and yes, as far as I can tell. But as mentioned above, what I hear on PC playback is way lower quality than the same mastered track played back on the Tascam. I'm missing something somewhere.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:08 PM

Hi Frank. 'Normally' the files do not get altered in any way just by transfering to PC. Wav out = wav in. Are you listening with same headphones on the Tascam and PC? If so what type?
Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Maybe your PC has a lower-quality sound card. That would probably do it!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post
Hi Frank. 'Normally' the files do not get altered in any way just by transfering to PC. Wav out = wav in. Are you listening with same headphones on the Tascam and PC? If so what type?
Well, the headphones are old but they do well on the Tascam, so shouldn't that also work equally on PC? I'll research what the sound card is since Jon suggested that possibility, but it's a new PC (HP p6000) quad processor and supposedly other components (ie sound card) commensurate with the horsepower. But to be specific the headphones are Sony MDR-V400, probably off the map by now.
thanks,
Old 03-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

This was introduced this year at NAMM and might be a good simple solution. http://youtu.be/Obf_VUuRw6M
Looks like you can use it stand alone or go into a computer via USB
Can record 2 tracks simultanously ( so you can record stereo) and can mix up to 8 tracks. Has 2 combo XLR/1/4 in. inputs, w/phantom power ( for condenser mic's) Streets at about 300
Only thing not mentioned is an Headphone Jack? But a retailer could answer that.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
By and large, I'd say yes. It is more geared toward electric players from the guitar tone options they provide and to the drum tracks and jam tracks that are built-in. And it does that very well.

However, it's not to the point that it excludes acoustic play. I've recorded some nice acoustic tracks on it.

And the mp3 playback/slow down function is great for practice. All in all, a powerful, compact little machine.
I agree and will add that I routinely use this for my acoustic guitar. I use a CA Guitars Cargo with the K & K PWM pickup in it. These pickups do best into a 1 meg ohm load, which the Micro BR provides. You can program the effects and store your settings in the user spaces provided on the Micro BR. I have set up a patch based on an existing acoustic patch that has EQ tweaked so I can easily hear my guitar against whatever MP3 I am learning from in "slow down" mode. I want to also add that the Micro BR can slow down and loop a section of an MP3 file down to 25% of original speed. This seems to be quite a rare thing Micro BR are quite good and it is my "go to" tool for this purpose because it is less cumbersome than a computer. You plug your guitar in directly and just go.

Tony
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
down and loop a section of an MP3 file down to 25% of original speed
Does it do it in increment's to 25%?

That would be really cool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD