The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
the Yairi's I've had hands on with were all very nice instruments. very well made and a nice tone. loved the fast thin necks.

I've never seen in hand one of this age with that style bridge-only familiar with the Direct coupled bridge. someone educate me on the use/purpose of the screws on this bridge in the listing.

thanks
d
Adjustable bridge for your desired height requirement, same idea Gibson used on a few of their 1960’s models
Old 12-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
the Yairi's I've had hands on with were all very nice instruments. very well made and a nice tone. loved the fast thin necks.

I've never seen in hand one of this age with that style bridge-only familiar with the Direct coupled bridge. someone educate me on the use/purpose of the screws on this bridge in the listing.

thanks
d
They allow you to adjust the height of the saddle, similar to the Gibson adjustable bridge.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:51 PM

Looks a little different from my '72 5065.

http://imgur.com/gallery/xGCLG6s
Old 12-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I've never seen in hand one of this age with that style bridge-only familiar with the Direct coupled bridge.
You are missing a lot of Alvarez-Yairi history. Soon after this guitar was built, Alvarez adopted Martin style bridges and used them until the direct coupled bridge was introduced in 1989.

Last edited by John Arnold; 12-09-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

I had a 5065 that I bought right off the bench of the luthier in Lincoln, NE who was replacing the original adjustable bridge with a Martin-style bridge. This was an older one with "Alvarez" in MOP script on the headstock and "Yairi" on the inner label.

What was odd about mine is that it had a zero fret. I've never seen that before in an old Yairi.

It was a really good guitar, and the back looked just like Brazilian, but my guess is that it was jacaranda (without getting off into the weeds about that!).
Old 12-10-2019, 07:44 AM

I saw one of these models used at our local Guitar Center for $599. I passed because I don't need another guitar.

That early model features laminate back and sides, although to be fair Yairi typically uses a laminate with all layers of the featured wood type.

Yairi also makes all solid Masterworks series guitars. I have one, a DYMR70sb, a 12 fret dread of solid rosewood b/s. These are very rare on the used market, but can be found through Guitar Center/Musicians Friend online.
I took a leap and bought one. Glad I did.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

I love the old Alvarez guitars from the 70's. They made some great instruments and I wouldn't have any problems with the price of this one. They are really good guitars and those back and sides are gorgeous!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-10-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
the back looked just like Brazilian, but my guess is that it was jacaranda
Or both, as explained above. The 'real' jacaranda looks nothing like Brazilian.

It is a light, soft wood with little figure.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/forum/jacaranda-wood

Quote:
Bignoniaceae is sometimes called the trumpet creeper family. Many of its species are vines and an identifying characteristic of the family are the beautiful trumpet shaped flowers most of its members produce. Some of the tropical species become large enough trees to produce respectable saw logs, as do our two native catalpas (especially the northern catalpa; Catalpa speciosa.) Many of the more decorative cultivars are on the small side. The woods tend to be rather soft and a little spungy, like our catalpa, but some of the tropical species are moderately dense...in the mahogany-walnut range. They're nothing like the rosewoods in terms of density nor are they as pigmented. Most of them are in the beige to tan range and rather bland figured. Our native catalpa is ring-porous and among the more attractive woods in this family...But the bignoniaceae is perhaps best known for primavera. This Central American species (now scarce) was once a very important cabinet wood with working properties and figure similar to genuine mahogany, but much blonder in color.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The wood is pale grey to whitish, straight-grained, relatively soft and knot-free. It dries without difficulty and is often used in its green or wet state for turnery and bowl carving.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
What was odd about mine is that it had a zero fret. I've never seen that before in an old Yairi.
My Alvarez-Yairi 5065, bought in the early '70s in St Louis, has a zero fret.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 12-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
My Alvarez-Yairi 5065, bought in the early '70s in St Louis, has a zero fret.
As well as the subject of this thread.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:25 AM

Kazuo Yairi guitars set the standard for laminated sides. The 3 Yairis I've owned, including my recently restored car crash damaged DY90, were all my preferred guitars over high dollar Martin and Taylor guitars I had at the same time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion