The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-03-2019, 09:16 AM

Default OK Boomer

Have you heard about this one? This is a generational reply to older folks (like many here) that is intended to be dismissive of your comments and reflections.

For example:
Me: “I remember when the milkman would actually come to your house and leave butter and cream. Same with the bread man. Things sure were simpler back then. The roads weren’t crowded and people would be polite in movie theaters. No one was staring at their phone all day either.”
Them: “OK, Boomer.”

I guess “OK, Boomer” is a reaction to anything that speaks to “a simpler time”.

I have begun seeing it on social media, more often than not as a non-thoughtful response to anything uttered by anyone over the age of 55...

Not meaning to be disparaging...just think it’s hysterical.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:20 AM

Default Good band name

I think they’ve had trouble because too many people tried to copyright it. If it stays in the public domain I’d like to use it when my friend and I play out.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
...I guess “OK, Boomer” is a reaction to anything that speaks to “a simpler time”.

I have begun seeing it on social media, more often than not as a non-thoughtful response to anything uttered by anyone over the age of 55...

Not meaning to be disparaging...just think it’s hysterical.
I must be missing something....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
umm... that's not what it means at all.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/slang/ok-boomer/

It's a bit of a backlash to all the 'Millennial' bashing.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It's got a little of that, as the other side of a naive adherence to new authority systems, along with (for example) the uncritical rejection of the idea that cellphones and the Internet are having a negative impact on the human mind, and the belief that psychiatric medication is the equivalent of penicillin because it's prescribed by doctors.

On the other hand, it's got a little of the moment when someone finally has enough of a backseat driver.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It's ageism, pure and simple, very much like, "get off my lawn," when tendered from a youth to a more mature person.

I first encountered the attitude when watching mature folks attempting to give advice to younger folks and the youth simply replied with a snide, "What makes you think you know more than me just because you've loved longer?"

Of course, when we are young and full of spit and vinegar, we think we know everything and older folks don't even know enough to keep from getting old. I suppose it is just a part of the life cycle but it is now much more in-your-face, it has now been formalized and is being officialized by being used in the norm-setting media of the today, commercials.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-03-2019, 10:08 AM

Just another dismissive silly expression. You'd think that with all that coddling these kids could come up with something a little better though.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

When I was younger, there were all manner of remarks made about "old people", just as, I am sure, continued today. We likely didn't think about how it made them feel when we were the younger ones making our observations of old folks, and now, we are experiencing being on the receiving end. Suddenly, it isn't humorous anymore. The same thing will happen to those who are younger now, but will be old in the future, and the cycle will continue as long as there are people being born.

I still do contract engineering a few months a year in retirement. On the job, I am often referred to as "old school" in my practices. It is not said with derision, but respect. There are more and more tools being created and used that separate us from "getting dirty" at the hardware level, but I am able to do that when it is needed. It is then, that younger engineers see value in some of the "old school" practices. I feel fortunate to have this perspective and experience on the job, because I am sure there are jobs some folks do in retirement where being old is equated with being in the way.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM

After years of the ageist broad-stroke dismissal of them as a generation, I don't blame Millennials for fighting back. "Jokes" about participation trophies and avocado toast were tired after about a week, but got driven into the ground, through the earth's core, out the other side, and back again. For them to say, "stop blaming us for being this way when y'all are the ones who raised us this way" is fair play.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:28 AM

The age old answer to that is of course, "Be careful young man. You don't want to have to go home and tell Daddy that an old Boomer kicked your butt."
Old 12-03-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
After years of the ageist broad-stroke dismissal of them as a generation, I don't blame Millennials for fighting back. "Jokes" about participation trophies and avocado toast were tired after about a week, but got driven into the ground, through the earth's core, out the other side, and back again. For them to say, "stop blaming us for being this way when y'all are the ones who raised us this way" is fair play.
This is what I think.

OK boomer is just payback.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:40 AM

I'm 70 and I've never heard that expression anywhere...I think it's like a lot of things that people claim are common, but I only see and hear online...

I don't think the real world is nearly as divisive as the internet and media makes it out to be...
Old 12-03-2019, 10:51 AM

I don't belong to either the Boomer or the Millennial generation so have at it.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I seems to me like “OK Boomer” is a suddenly popular meme that is used in different ways by different people, sometimes as a generational attack, sometimes in jest.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
meh.. they're both stupid generalizations... IMHO.
I think I'm in full agreement..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic