The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-14-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Congrats HNS....enjoy your X20. We'll be waiting here for a full NGD report and pictures.

Exactly... mandatory !
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-14-2019, 06:04 PM

I have experience with both and I would steer folks who are used to playing dreadnoughts toward the X30. I grew up playing dreadnoughts and the X20 is just on the borderline of too small for what I'm used to. I have no issues playing it just prefer the X30 size. They are both well designed instruments. The one amazing thing the X30 has over the X20 and every other guitar that I played in my lifetime is the way it sends the vibrations through your body. It's an awesome experience.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:44 AM

Thanks, folks for all the answers, I gravitate towards the X20 for size, but I bet the tone of the X30 is fuller. Will post pics when it arrives !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I have experience with both and I would steer folks who are used to playing dreadnoughts toward the X30. I grew up playing dreadnoughts and the X20 is just on the borderline of too small for what I'm used to. I have no issues playing it just prefer the X30 size. They are both well designed instruments. The one amazing thing the X30 has over the X20 and every other guitar that I played in my lifetime is the way it sends the vibrations through your body. It's an awesome experience.
Now you got me thinking again !...Kevin Quigley from Emerald implicitly said something like what you said, how does the X-30 compare to the X 20 in terms of comfort ... is it the same tone with heavier bass?
Cheers

Be & Remember ☮
Old 10-15-2019, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNS View Post
Thanks, folks for all the answers, I gravitate towards the X20 for size, but I bet the tone of the X30 is fuller. Will post pics when it arrives !

Now you got me thinking again !...Kevin Quigley from Emerald implicitly said something like what you said, how does the X-30 compare to the X 20 in terms of comfort ... is it the same tone with heavier bass?
Cheers
I do find them both comfortable compared to my wooden guitars with all the fancy contours and bevels they have. Compared to each other I find the X30 more comfortable as the size is what I'm used to but YMMV. I could play the X30 all day without any discomfort. The X20 for me is a nice size couch guitar. I do find myself hunching over slightly while playing it in a normal seat.

Tonally I believe my X20 is different than what most people on here have. There's been many threads about it. I see most people describing their X20 as "bright" sounding, not that that's a bad thing. Mine is somewhere in between warm and bright. The X30 is warmer and of course bigger sounding. As far as I'm concerned you can play any music genre with either of them. The one feature though that the X30 has, which I would like to revisit, is the way it sends the vibrations through your body. It really does make for quite the playing experience and you really notice it's missing when you grab another guitar. Upper feet access is also easier on the X30 as it has the heel less neck joint compared to the X20. I gave my X30 to my uncle a while ago as a gift as he fell in love with it. He's very happy with it which makes me happy. However, I miss it dearly and long for the day when I can get my hands on one again.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:28 PM

I had one of each and it only took a few days before the X20 stayed on the wall. It was probably closer in sound to the Martin but it just didn't charm me. BUT seamusknives has an X20 that had a really warm, round sound, unlike the one I got. I tried his strings and no change. Not sure if that's just production variability, some change over time, or what, but the X30 was where it was at -- fit smaller than the D28, big round sound, great physical presence. I like the contours of it too, more sumptuous than the X20.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I've had 3 X20's; two of which were Woody's. Then I bought an X30 a couple of weeks ago from a AGM member. If you're looking for tone, the X30 is pretty amazing. I've had a lot of guitars over my 47 years of playing, and the X30 is the nicest sounding guitar I've ever played. I'm a big Goodall fan too. It does everything really well. It has the nicest open chords I've ever heard on a guitar. It's a stop your buddies and say "listen to this" kind of smile on your face. As somebody mentioned, with it's contours it's comfortable to play as a couch guitar too. I'll probably be selling one of my X20's and ordering a 14 fret X30 now too.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
I had one of each and it only took a few days before the X20 stayed on the wall. It was probably closer in sound to the Martin but it just didn't charm me. BUT seamusknives has an X20 that had a really warm, round sound, unlike the one I got. I tried his strings and no change. Not sure if that's just production variability, some change over time, or what, but the X30 was where it was at -- fit smaller than the D28, big round sound, great physical presence. I like the contours of it too, more sumptuous than the X20.

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-22-2019 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I'm really loving my relatively new X20. It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever played let alone owned. It has a warm resonant tone that I really like. I play mostly finger style, and it handles that really well. I don't know if it's due to a different proportions, but I'm still getting used to strumming it. Having said that, I could see a black plain jane X30 being next on my shopping list...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-22-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
The one amazing thing the X30 has over the X20 and every other guitar that I played in my lifetime is the way it sends the vibrations through your body. It's an awesome experience.
Great, just want I need to hear. ..... I know, Trifecta!
Emerald X10 Black Level 3

Last edited by Joel_man; 10-22-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:57 PM

Like most people on here I've bought and sold my fair share of guitars over my years of playing. Once I parted with a particular guitar I never ever missed it as it was typically replaced with something that I liked better. A quick recap for those who are unaware, I gave my beautiful X30 to my uncle quite some time ago as he fell in love with it and it seemed like the right thing to do. There's really no words to describe how much I miss that guitar. I can replace my X20, Gibson, Yamaha, etc. with something else but the X30 can only be replaced by another X30!
Old 10-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

You know we/I like to tease you about not having the 30 once in a while, but I believe you will be repaid for that grand gesture many times over.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:02 AM
Charter Member

Is the X30 significantly louder than the X20?

And for light fingerstyling, is the X20 with less mass more responsive than the X30?

Thanks for any insight.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
A quick recap for those who are unaware, I gave my beautiful X30 to my uncle quite some time ago as he fell in love with it and it seemed like the right thing to do..... the X30 can only be replaced by another X30!
I have a blue X30 that I SHOULD sell..... but I consider it my "campfire guitar," nothing else can produce that kind of volume/richness but still be camping-proof. Do I really have the courage to let it get zinged by cinders? Well... time will tell. But I've thought several times of selling it and just can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Is the X30 significantly louder than the X20?
And for light fingerstyling, is the X20 with less mass more responsive than the X30?
Thanks for any insight.
The X20 seemed a little brighter with fingerpicking. Loudness is super difficult to quantify, and subjective impressions are going to be vulnerable to a billion factors, BUT -- to me, the X30 had a lot bigger "woof," more body and fullness. Would the brighter X20 cut through better and seem louder? Tough to say.

(This was a huge question for me when I was trying to decide which to get -- people were hemmy-hawwy about it, and now I understand why).
Old 10-23-2019, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

For those who are considering the X20 vs X30, might I suggest: the X20 AND the X30.

Seems to have worked for Kramster.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Here's the deal on "loudness" of an X20. It's as loud as a Gibson SJ200. I owned and played the SJ side my side with X20. The X30 is louder and fuller still. The X30 is way more responsive than an X20. But, you access it by how you pick and strum it. It "can" do a lot more thickness that the X20, or, any other guitar for that matter. I've never played anything that can be as big as an X30 if lay into the E,A,& D.

I don't think I'd suggest an X30 to somebody who's not fairly "fluent" in guitar. It's not a beginners, strumming guitar, not because it's harder to finger, but because it has bass that literally other guitars don't have.. You have to be able to strum a little less on the upper strings if you're looking for the bright highs of some songs. Again, when you've played for years, or decades, it gives you more options, not less.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber