Old 11-06-2019, 03:41 PM

The first College Football Playoff Rankings this year are out:

1 - Ohio State
2 - LSU
3 - Alabama
4 - Penn State
5 - Clemson
6 - Georgia

Ohio State and Penn State will play a game against each other as will LSU and Alabama so that should shake things up.

Your thoughts?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
The first College Football Playoff Rankings this year are out:

1 - Ohio State
2 - LSU
3 - Alabama
4 - Penn State
5 - Clemson
6 - Georgia

Ohio State and Penn State will play a game against each other as will LSU and Alabama so that should shake things up.

Your thoughts?
My thoughts? OSU is highly ranked because so many fans are sick of the Clemson/SEC dominance. When the Buckeyes finally face a quality opponent (later this month), we'll have a clearer picture.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
My thoughts? OSU is highly ranked because so many fans are sick of the Clemson/SEC dominance. When the Buckeyes finally face a quality opponent (later this month), we'll have a clearer picture.
The video I watched where ESPN released the rankings stated that, surprisingly, OSU had the most difficult 'strength of schedule' compared to the other teams in the rankings and that was a factor in putting them at #1.

I agree, the Penn State game is huge for both teams.
Old 11-09-2019, 04:07 PM

Ohio State won 73-14 and Penn State lost 31-26. Alabama and LSU playing now. So, 2 of the top 4 teams lost (or will lose) this week-end.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:29 PM

I’m not much of a college football fan, but LSU/Alabama was the game at its finest.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
PSU #4. Woot!
That was short-lived.
I really think Penn State has more talent than Minnesota. They just got out-played and as usual, out-coached on Saturday.
(not a Franklin fan.)
I’m extremely anxious to see if my Buckeyes can maul them with our offense like we have everyone else. Our defense is far superior to Minnesota’s as well. I’m very encouraged with our new head coach Ryan Day. He ain’t afraid to use these four and five star athletes like Meyer and Tressel were.
IMHO, we are the only Big Ten team that has enough firepower to compete with LSU, ‘Bama, Clemson and teams like those.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-10-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That was short-lived.
I really think Penn State has more talent than Minnesota. They just got out-played and as usual, out-coached on Saturday.
(not a Franklin fan.)
I’m extremely anxious to see if my Buckeyes can maul them with our offense like we have everyone else. Our defense is far superior to Minnesota’s as well. I’m very encouraged with our new head coach Ryan Day. He ain’t afraid to use these four and five star athletes like Meyer and Tressel were.
IMHO, we are the only Big Ten team that has enough firepower to compete with LSU, ‘Bama, Clemson and teams like those.
I like your comment regarding Penn State coach James Franklin. He is a very good coach and puts me in mind of Brian Kelly at ND. Very good coaches,but not great coaches. Yes,there is a very fine line,which is why there are so few of them.
I think what we're seeing with the Buckeyes is we finally have a coaching staff that is coaching to the strength of top flight players,vs the players being restricted by the system. OSU has found that by letting the players have more freedom on the field they are much more productive.
Their strength of schedule will give them an edge in the final games of the season and eventually in the CFP, assuming they don't hit a bump in the road. As good as Penn State is,they cannot match the Buckeyes fire power.
As for TTUN, their coaches are doing a lot of chirping about how they can't wait to play OSU. That's all good,but it will be a different tune once they have to line up against the Buckeyes because they don't have the talent level to beat them.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Well, the Gophers may not have the talent of Penn State as you have said, but they played harder and won the game. 9-0 for the first time since 1904 I believe and most expect them to break the top 10 for the first time in I don't know how long. Are they one of the elite teams in the country, no, are they 9-0 and just beat the 4th ranked team (FBS) poll, yes.

The coach (PJ Fleck) has been there for 3 years and is really turning the program around. No matter how the rest of the season goes, this is quite a story and a great turn around for the program which has not been much more than a 6-4 team or worse for many many years.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-10-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I’m not much of a college football fan, but LSU/Alabama was the game at its finest.
Yeah, that match-up seldom disappoints; what a game! If Bama wins the rest of their games, they could still get a playoff spot. Hopefully, Auburn upsets that cart.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Well, the Gophers may not have the talent of Penn State as you have said, but they played harder and won the game. 9-0 for the first time since 1904 I believe and most expect them to break the top 10 for the first time in I don't know how long. Are they one of the elite teams in the country, no, are they 9-0 and just beat the 4th ranked team (FBS) poll, yes.

The coach (PJ Fleck) has been there for 3 years and is really turning the program around. No matter how the rest of the season goes, this is quite a story and a great turn around for the program which has not been much more than a 6-4 team or worse for many many years.
Tom, we aren’t in disagreement on anything.
Fleck is a better coach, no doubt about it. The team played harder, I said that.
Pat Fitzgerald has done similar things at Northwestern.

Fleck will likely soon have lots of job offers as has Fitzgerald. One of those offers may come from Michigan sometime in the foreseeable future.
It will be interesting to see what happens

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 11-11-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
I like your comment regarding Penn State coach James Franklin. He is a very good coach and puts me in mind of Brian Kelly at ND. Very good coaches,but not great coaches. Yes,there is a very fine line,which is why there are so few of them.
I think what we're seeing with the Buckeyes is we finally have a coaching staff that is coaching to the strength of top flight players,vs the players being restricted by the system. OSU has found that by letting the players have more freedom on the field they are much more productive.
Their strength of schedule will give them an edge in the final games of the season and eventually in the CFP, assuming they don't hit a bump in the road. As good as Penn State is,they cannot match the Buckeyes fire power.
As for TTUN, their coaches are doing a lot of chirping about how they can't wait to play OSU. That's all good,but it will be a different tune once they have to line up against the Buckeyes because they don't have the talent level to beat them.
Totally agree. Ryan Day = Dabo Swinney. Very similar philosophies.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post

Minn leaps to #7 on their win against PSU, while PSU drops to #9. And Alabama holds onto a Top 4 spot after their loss, blocking Georgia from getting back into it.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Go Ducks!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
So Wisconsin isn’t a quality opponent.
38-7
How about Cincinnati?
42-0

Both are in the AP top twenty. Just sayin’

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-11-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Tom, we aren’t in disagreement on anything.
Fleck is a better coach, no doubt about it. The team played harder, I said that.
Pat Fitzgerald has done similar things at Northwestern.

Fleck will likely soon have lots of job offers as has Fitzgerald. One of those offers may come from Michigan sometime in the foreseeable future.
It will be interesting to see what happens

I think during the broadcast of the game, they said Fleck just signed a 7 year extension with the Gophers. I really don't know what that means in a practical sense though, it seems like they can always get out of a contract if they want to or the new place has to buy out the contract...who knows. I hope he stays and at least gets to coach a full 4 years or recruiting class. He has a really nice mix of skilled players and big boys although he did not recruit them all. They have a tackle who is over 400 pounds, largest man in the FSB. He is tall and seems quite athletic as hard as that is to believe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic