The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Default can a thick neck be reshaped?

I just bought a late 50's Kay jumbo. It's the somewhat rare, X-braced K-27. No truss rod. all solid woods

My dillema: this guitar sounds FANTASTIC. It has a clean, dry tone and tons of bass. a great strummer that rivals any J200 I have heard.

But I HATE the neck! Baseball bat, D profile that does not feel comfy to me. The nut width is fine though - 1 11/16. I wrapped a tape measure around the neck right at the nut, and this Kay is over 1/2" beefier than my 2018 J-35 - which is the PERFECT neck for my hands.

My question is can I have someone sand down the neck to more of a "C" profile like you would find on a modern J45?

I don't care about resale value. This was a $1K guitar purchase. I also don't care if the back of the neck needs to be refinished. So there's that.

I LOVE the look and vibe of this thing.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:09 AM

Can it be done? Sure. The biggest issue is the lack of truss rod - I would worry about reshaping a stable neck on an old guitar that has no truss rod.

I got an Allparts Tele Fat neck for a build - kept the depth but took it from a beefy C to a neutral C / super soft V. That was no big deal - bolt on; truss rod, etc. Yours sounds more ambitious.

Best of luck.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:16 AM

Sure can. Just check with your luthier for advice.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:21 AM

Shouldn't be a problem for any competent luthier - and neither should installation of additional neck reinforcement (whether carbon-fiber rods or a modern adjustable truss rod), since like WordMan I have my doubts about the stability/longevity of the neck of a 60-year-old, low-end instrument from which significant mass has been removed; BTW, since you're not concerned about resale value you might also consider having the bridge saddle re-angled, and the pickguard repositioned to the opposite side of the soundhole and holes filled, for left-handed play...
Old 12-07-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Can it be done? Sure. The biggest issue is the lack of truss rod - I would worry about reshaping a stable neck on an old guitar that has no truss rod.

Best of luck.

Yeppers...this is the one potential issue you might have, aside from the loss of value due to changing the original condition...which you don't care about, but the work can absolutely be done.

You just need to have your luthier/repair tech look it over and see what they think.

Great looking guitar too!!!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 12-07-2019, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I had that done on two of my guitars but it was done by the luthier who made the instruments. Though my guitars didn't lose any tone, bass or volume, you might lose a bit of bass depending on how the guitar was constructed as neck mass can affect tone (I have heard this, I do not know it from fact or experience). You need a guitar repair person or luthier familiar with guitars constructed in that era to know for sure. But if you are not taking off too much material, the affect on tone would probably be insignificant. I wouldn't know what the cost would be but that might also affect your decision.

I was lucky that my luthier knew exactly how to re-shape it for my needs and I love my new necks! I had them gun oiled rather than re-lacquered and they are nice and smooth to play.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-07-2019, 10:25 AM

You can get that work done by a competent luthier (not repair man) but it’s likely the tone will be affected.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 12-07-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Shouldn't be a problem for any competent luthier - and neither should installation of additional neck reinforcement (whether carbon-fiber rods or a modern adjustable truss rod), since like WordMan I have my doubts about the stability/longevity of the neck of a 60-year-old, low-end instrument from which significant mass has been removed; BTW, since you're not concerned about resale value you might also consider having the bridge saddle re-angled, and the pickguard repositioned to the opposite side of the soundhole and holes filled, for left-handed play...
Smart thinking!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Rather than modify the existing neck, and likely ruin it, why not remove it completely (save it) and have a replacement neck made with the profile you want and a proper truss rod. The reason "skinny" necks work is because they have a truss rod to counteract the pull of the strings. You could add a truss rod to the existing neck, but by the time you add the rod, thin the neck and refinish it, making a new neck might be easier.
A lot of once cheap guitars I used to buy for $80 (40's era Martin OO-17's) are now bringing decent prices. You might regret modifying a guitar, you did say it is a somewhat rare guitar.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:34 AM

The neck currently works without a truss rod because of its thickness. Take that away, and you will rob that neck of its stability.

Better to have someone replace it with a whole new neck. Save the old neck, of course, so you can beat yourself with it for having screwed with the guitar's mojo.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:44 AM

All Kays built from the day the Kay Kraft name disappeared had 1 11/16" nuts. But yes you can shave the neck although if the guitar does not have a reinforced neck I would add compression frets to keep it from cupping.

Last edited by zombywoof; 12-07-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:57 AM

No truss rod. I would be very hesitant to reshape the neck.
Ed
Old 12-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post

I got an Allparts Tele Fat neck for a build - kept the depth but took it from a beefy C to a neutral C / super soft V. That was no big deal - bolt on; truss rod, etc. Yours sounds more ambitious.

Best of luck.
Just because you do not see it does not mean there is no truss rod in the neck. Starting in the early 1950s Kay began installing a U shaped neck reinforcement in new models. As the K27 was introduced in 1952 it is likely that this guitar has one. Adjustable truss rods, however, did not begin showing up until around 1955 and were not universally installed. So while I am not 100% certain, it is entirely possible the K27 has a reinforced neck. Harmony did the same thing - putting steel reinforcement rods in their necks of their guitars in the later-1950s but not going to adjustable rods until sometimes 10 0r 12 years down the road. .

Last edited by zombywoof; 12-07-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:13 PM

Congrats on a beautiful guitar. I'd like to see a pic of the back. Best of luck with the neck.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:26 PM

I have a Stella Harmony OM size guitar. It has a steel rod in the neck but no truss rod. After a couple of years playing the thick neck I reshaped it myself. I used a modern C profile guitar neck as a general model and reshaping was not too difficult. It took about 2 hours of work with a wood rasp and various grits of sandpaper. I sprayed a couple of coats of clear enamel on it ( from a can), then buffed it down to a silky smooth finish. I did this about 18 months ago and have had zero problems or regrets. I immediately enjoyed the guitar more. The guitar is around 50 years old with a mahogany neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion