The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-01-2019, 03:18 AM

Default CA Cargo....the mouse that roars

Picked one up a few days ago. Clean used and priced right. Giggled it the same night, old strings and all....and WOW😮. I’ve played a couple before but never live in a gig. Definitely more than the sum of its parts. Playing solo I find it’s necessary to fill a lot of space and these little jewels are more than up to the task. No problem at all with feedback through my Evolve 50. Doesn’t look or feel too small on stage (I’m 5’ 9”) and the short scale is easy on my left hand and arm which has given me tendinitis issues now for some time. A little action work, restrung with 12-56 exp d”addarios and off we go
Old 12-01-2019, 04:02 AM

Been on my radar for a while..... Right now the acquisition process is a little maxed out, but it's coming at some point.....
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 12-01-2019, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini11 View Post
Picked one up a few days ago.
Welcome to the Cargo Cult... Photo please.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-01-2019, 07:00 AM

When I first saw a Cargo at Elderly Instruments I almost didn't even try it...it almost looked like a toy guitar. I left with it. Love the size, scale, nut width and sound. My only wee issue is that I still, once in a while, tap the body with my pick if I am careless.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
When I first saw a Cargo at Elderly Instruments I almost didn't even try it...it almost looked like a toy guitar. I left with it. Love the size, scale, nut width and sound. My only wee issue is that I still, once in a while, tap the body with my pick if I am careless.

Darn pick tapping.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Yep, I love the little bugger. Had mine since new in ‘08.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:45 AM

Mine since ‘10 I think... most I had at once was 5... I know... but stuff happens... was trying to stay ahead of Tony.
Old 12-01-2019, 10:21 AM
Guest 928

The Cargo is what moved me into carbon fiber guitars. I could not believe what was coming out of such a small guitar. That moved me to an Ox, another astounding guitar. I prefer nylon so sold the Cargo and Ox and moved on. But then, with the Peavey/CA merger I tried the new and improved Cargo--again, absolutely stunning. And again, my nylon interest moved me to other guitars. If I was a steel string player I would have to have a Cargo in my stable.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:12 PM

Indeed. I decided against one of these several years ago as too small and kind of toyish looking as well. Not so at all. I’ve also found from playing live that smaller bodied guitars are less prone to feedback. I remember reading cautions from some reviews about how heavy the amplified bass response of these can be but I’ve found so far it pushes more bottom than my Blackbird without trouble. I’ll put some pics up when I get it polished out. A small nick on the lower bout that sanded out nicely and some pick rash to polish out still. It’s either a 16 or 17 carbon burst. Looks very nice 😎
Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Oh and I realize some here have the raw models but the static pick guards from Taylor, DS customs, etc. are real finish savers. Highly recommend
Old 12-01-2019, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Mine since ‘10 I think... most I had at once was 5... I know... but stuff happens... was trying to stay ahead of Tony.
Kramster, you are way ahead of me. After all, what is a few Cargos between friends?

By the way, I still have all three of mine and they are not going anywhere. These things have a charm all their own, and it never gets old.

One thing the Cargo (at least the pre-Peavey version, don't know about the Peavey models) has over the McPherson is the wider string spacing at the saddle. Both have a 1 3/4" nut. In my opinion, the Cargo and the McPherson Touring belong side by side.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-03-2019, 08:10 PM

Ok, I’m forum dumb. Exactly how do you post pics? I’ve got it looking pretty good and some saddle work done. It’s ready to gig
Old 12-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Default Posting pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini11 View Post
Ok, I’m forum dumb. Exactly how do you post pics?
Hi Gemini,

Take a look at this post and PM me if you need help. As a registered user, you have two means of posting pics. One is a third-party host like Imgur. And second is the Tapatalk app if the pics are on a mobile device.

The FAQs are also loaded with other helpful tips about how to navigate and use the forum. Let me know if you need help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber