The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-24-2019, 12:35 PM

On my extensive list of "things to do" is putting some heavier strings (EJ-18, 59-14) on my X30 and tuning down C-c, as a pseudo-baritone. I think it will work well, but until the experiment happens that is just conjecture. People report the X20 doing well as a purpose-built baritone guitar, and I suspect that the X30 will work fine this way. I don't intend to go all the way using 70-16 strings tuned B-b as in true baritone tuning.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 PM

Doesn’t that void the warranty ?
I think I read something like that on the website.

Be & Remember ☮
Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM

It should not void the warranty, and all my mods are easily reversible. Usually there is no need to file or swap out the nut. When I do this down-tuning, I deliberately choose string gauges and pitches that keep the individual string tension and overall tension tension within the norm for medium gauge strings tuned E-e standard. As long as the total tension on the neck remains within the typical range of 165-185 pounds, there should be no problem.

As for strength, my custom X20-12 came with EJ-37 (54-10) strings on it and tuned up to standard pitch. It also came out of the box still in tune, except for one of the high b string unwound pair. That was ~335 pounds of total tension during shipping, versus ~250 for a typical EJ-38 (47-10) twelve string set. Knowing that I was going to change strings anyway, I removed the octave strings first and played it as a wide necked six string for an hour. In all of those permutations from 165-335 pounds of total tension, there was never a need to adjust the truss rod. These guitars are STRONG.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the comparison. I first listened to it rolled above the screen so I could only hear the two guitars unable to see them. I then watched the video. While the Emerald sounds good, to me, there's no comparison to the Martin. For me, wood still wins hands down.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Thanks for the comparison. I first listened to it rolled above the screen so I could only hear the two guitars unable to see them. I then watched the video. While the Emerald sounds good, to me, there's no comparison to the Martin. For me, wood still wins hands down.
I wouldn't read too much "wood vs carbon fiber" into that video. It's more just X30 vs HD-28. The X30 is a very warm and deep sounding guitar, some would say dark. I personally love that sound - I get that lot's of people don't. The HD-28, like most of Martin's rosewood B&S instruments, is on the brighter, more over-toney end of the Martin lineup, as opposed to the darker, woodier D18 and even darker and woodier yet 15 series all mahogany guitars.

I'd actually compare the tone (maybe not volume - not sure) of the Emerald X20 much more to the D28 type of sound - it's brighter and busier and a lot of folks love that sound - I had one for a bit and sold it on. Now I have one of the newer X7s and its, as far as I can tell (I've never played an X30 but I've heard a number of clips), kind of between the two, but maybe a bit closer to the warmer sound of the X30, although in a much much smaller package. About perfect for me.

I also have a Martin 000-15SM, which I love. But each time I play either one of those instruments, I'm dead certain IT'S the best sounding instrument I own and it is, until I play the other one. To me, they're both incredible. Not the same, different enough to be worth it to own both, but both equally great to my ear. I had a D28 for about 25 years and loved it at the time, but when I got back into playing after a long layoff and went guitar shopping, I found myself really gravitating to the 18 and 15 series MUCH more than the 28 series rosewood guitars. I guess my ears changed.

But every guitar is different and I don't think it's reasonable to listen to these two guitars and make a blanket judgement about wood vs carbon fiber. About these two guitars, for sure, but the X30 is very different from the X20, let alone from various Rainsong models, just as the HD28 is very different from other Martin models, let alone from various Taylors and Gibsons...

-Ray
Old 11-29-2019, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Really well put, Ray...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-29-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I wouldn't read too much "wood vs carbon fiber" into that video.
-Ray
Thanks Ray. I wasn't reading anything into the post other than a comparison between two guitars. In this case, one was an Emerald and one was a Martin. In that comparison, for me, one excels hand down. Simple.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Thanks Ray. I wasn't reading anything into the post other than a comparison between two guitars. In this case, one was an Emerald and one was a Martin. In that comparison, for me, one excels hand down. Simple.
I interpreted it as a more generalized statement. My bad...

-Ray
Old 01-07-2020, 05:19 AM

Happy belated New Year everyone.

I’m late to post my review on my newest acquisition the X-20, as promised, but I can say that I’m glad I pulled the trigger on this one, it seems that Alistair really nailed it with the design of this guitar. I also like that he keeps on revisiting his designs, thanks Alistair. I have never played an X30 so I still can’t comment on my personal experience here. I expect it to have more bass and depth though, but it will be larger and ergonomics was prime for me.

I got my X20 in late November, Kevin Quigley was of great help, so many thanks goes to him, he really endured my anoying questions with patience. The people at Emerald guitars are very easy to deal with and helpful, so thanks to them all.

In summary, the X20 is a really well designed and crafted guitar. Here is my review after less than two months, I’m no great player, but here it goes.

1. Ergonomics: Nothing I played comes close to the X20. The slanted lap crease together with the top bevel decreases the tension on your shoulder substantially. This enables you to play a bigger box without the shoulder pain/tension associated with it. The cutaway is also useful in upper fret access, but I use the upper frets rarely, YMMV.

2. Durability: I’ve been looking into Carbon fiber guitars for two years now, primarily for issues related to durability. The carbon fiber is definitely more durable than wood, and it decreases my relentless “dread” of neck resets and body warp (unless proven otherwise by time), and the stainless steel frets do away with the issue of fret wear. This is a major point for me.

3. Practicality: I’m a globe trotter, which means that I change environments with different RH levels regularly. The fact that I don’t have to care for shifts in humidity levels for me is a BIG PLUS. Sometimes I live in places with major swings in RH levels in a day.

4. Tone: Compared to the CF guitars I played 10-12 years ago, I’m pleasantly surprised with the tone of the X20. The tone is definitely more on the trebly side, and emphasizes the fundamental tone with a little less overtones and bass than say a rosewood guitar. This suits me just fine because I play finger style without nails. The overtones (as well as the lower mid-range “haze”) on rosewood guitars for instance, I feel, decreases the clarity of my playing due to the lack of attack.

5. Dynamic range: The dynamic range of the tone is also very good. With different picks (materials and sizes and shapes) I’m able to bring the bass inherent in the design quite well to my liking. I may prefer the tone of Martin guitars overall, because that’s the traditional tone in my ear, but the in actuality the tone of the X20 and my Larrivee L-05 seems to suit my playing more. The older I get the more I gravitate toward mahogany and more trebly “modern” guitars with good note separation like the X20.

6. Dynamics and sustain: Great! The sustain is phenomenal, it has a natural reverb to it especially with single notes that I like very much. The top is also sensitive enough to bring out the nuances of different touch and attack techniques. I think I heard Alistair on a video that the guitar doesn’t have any bracing but the top has different thicknesses to achieve the tonal qualities intended.

7. Volume: It’s loud, “it may not be a banjo killer” I keep on hearing, but neither am I a bluegrass player. The sound hole nearer to the player makes the volume more than enough for you. I guess I have to fiddle around more with mic placement to find the right direction and angle though.

I’ve found that strumming the X20, like my Larrivee, with a thick pick but gently, brings out the best of the tone of the guitar, unlike Martins that need to be strummed harder to bring out the tone. On my martin guitars I use a 0.63 pick, but the X20, to my ears is better with a heavy pick.

Overall, I’m very happy with the X20. The only issue I still can't figure out how to use the LR baggs anthem properly.

Why did I get the guitar in carbon fiber black without a veneer? .... Ok...I have a black lab .... he's important ... Nice logo too Emerald !!!

Thumbs up for Emerald guitars and many thanks for the posters here who helped over these two years to make the decision.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3616.jpg (35.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3618.jpg (46.9 KB, 79 views)

Be & Remember ☮

Last edited by HNS; 01-07-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations! It sounds like you'll be very happy together for quite some time to come.

Which one are you going to buy next?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-07-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Congratulations! It sounds like you'll be very happy together for quite some time to come.

Which one are you going to buy next?
Thanks eatswodo
I really have no idea ... I just sold my last Martin .... I'm Martin-lorn. But I guess I'll stick to this one and the Larrivee for sometime!

Be & Remember ☮

Last edited by HNS; 01-07-2020 at 02:31 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber