The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-02-2024, 01:34 PM

That was outstanding!
Loved the guitar sax
Old 04-02-2024, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Everything sounds great. The thumping acoustic is driving that rhythm and the sustain on the Les Paul is really working for the sax part.

BTW Turn The Page, is one of the most requested songs in the bars around my neck of the woods!
Thank you Daniel!

I really appreciate your support and your encouraging comments! I'm pleased that you feel I did okay in keeping the rhythm and that the Les Paul worked okay as a sax substitute.

It's really interesting to learn from you that "Turn the Page" is so heavily requested in your experience. I had no idea!

I hope you are doing well, Daniel!

- Glenn
Old 04-02-2024, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Regarding vocals, when Linda Ronstadt started out she just used her natural voice in her early recordings and to me, she sounded great. But later, to appeal to more people, she learned how to put a little grit and edge into her voice -- such as in "That'll Be The Day" or in "You're No Good" -- and it did help her sales. Later when she did her American Songbook stuff with Nelson Riddle, she was back to sounding beautiful again. But that approach fit the music very well, so a person learns to adapt.
Linda Ronstadt and I went to the same high school, she was ten years ahead of me. A good friend of mine in school is her second or third cousin, and also a fine singer who made and I’m pretty sure continues to make her living playing music. She gave me a lot of pointers on guitar when I was first learning to play. And one of my two best friends in high school lived and still lives right across the street from what was her families estate, almost more of a compound. There were acres of desert vegetation around where their homes were located and we’d often disappear into that desert to smoke pot and generally cause trouble. Despite her brother who lived there being Tucson’s Chief of Police at the time! We never got caught. If only some of Linda’s singing ability had seeped through the walls or water pipes of that high school - I coulda used it. I never really thought about her manufacturing the grit in her voice to appeal to a larger audience, but I suppose she might have. She sang wonderfully in all phases of her career to my ears. Very sad that she’s lost that ability late in her life…

-Ray
Old 04-02-2024, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Linda Ronstadt and I went to the same high school, she was ten years ahead of me. A good friend of mine in school is her second or third cousin, and also a fine singer who made and I’m pretty sure continues to make her living playing music. She gave me a lot of pointers on guitar when I was first learning to play. And one of my two best friends in high school lived and still lives right across the street from what was her families estate, almost more of a compound. There were acres of desert vegetation around where their homes were located and we’d often disappear into that desert to smoke pot and generally cause trouble. Despite her brother who lived there being Tucson’s Chief of Police at the time! We never got caught. If only some of Linda’s singing ability had seeped through the walls or water pipes of that high school - I coulda used it. I never really thought about her manufacturing the grit in her voice to appeal to a larger audience, but I suppose she might have. She sang wonderfully in all phases of her career to my ears. Very sad that she’s lost that ability late in her life…

-Ray
Hi Ray,

Wow, interesting all the connections you have to Linda Ronstadt. It's a shame she came down with Parkinson's Disease and lost control of her voice. She had an absolutely wonderful voice.

- Glenn
Old 04-03-2024, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Ray,

Wow, interesting all the connections you have to Linda Ronstadt. It's a shame she came down with Parkinson's Disease and lost control of her voice. She had an absolutely wonderful voice.

- Glenn
I didn’t have any actual connections, we just grew up in the same place at slightly different times. And she was one of the better known people to ever come out of Tucson (which was kind of a small town back in the 60’s and early 70’s), not to mention my high school. So I was VERY aware of her. I guarantee she would have no reason to ever have been aware of me! But, yeah, a real shame about her Parkinson’s.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 04-03-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
That was outstanding!
Loved the guitar sax
Thank you AlyKat!

I'm pleased that you felt this came out well. And I'm glad you thought the substitution of the electric guitar for the sax worked out okay, too.

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 04-03-2024, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Glenn,

Another excellent production! Always in awe how you weave your musical tapestries - integrating the multi instruments and complementing it with great vocals - thank you!
Old 04-03-2024, 03:24 PM
AGF Administrator

Nice, Glenn! I think that's my favorite production of yours so far.
Old 04-04-2024, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I didn’t have any actual connections, we just grew up in the same place at slightly different times. And she was one of the better known people to ever come out of Tucson (which was kind of a small town back in the 60’s and early 70’s), not to mention my high school. So I was VERY aware of her. I guarantee she would have no reason to ever have been aware of me! But, yeah, a real shame about her Parkinson’s.

-Ray
Thanks again, Ray.

- Glenn
Old 04-04-2024, 10:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myopic Squirrel View Post
Glenn,

Another excellent production! Always in awe how you weave your musical tapestries - integrating the multi instruments and complementing it with great vocals - thank you!
Thank you MS!

I'm so glad you like this!

I guess putting something like this together is a bit of weaving, though I had not really thought of that before. Nice metaphor!

I appreciate your watching and your comments greatly! I hope you are doing well!

- Glenn
Old 04-04-2024, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Very good Glenn!

All these years I loved that song, but I never knew the name of it,

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk
Old 04-04-2024, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Nice, Glenn! I think that's my favorite production of yours so far.
How nice of you, Jeremy! I'm so glad you like this.

I have to say -- in all modesty, of course -- that I like it, too. It's such a comfortable song to sing and it tells a good story!

I hope you are well, Jeremy!

- Glenn

PS: Do you believe that I just went over 45K posts??!! I am not going to tell my wife!
Old 04-04-2024, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Very good Glenn!

All these years I loved that song, but I never knew the name of it,
Hi Barry!

Thanks so much for taking time to check this out, Barry! I really appreciate your listening and your kind comments! I'm also glad you were finally able to learn the title of this song. I don't suppose it will impact your life much, but knowing a song's name is better than not knowing it...

I hope all is well. And enjoy your new guitar!

- Glenn
Old 04-07-2024, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoe2311 View Post
As an uncultured gen Z person, you're really helping me discover some great music! Great performance and superb production value as always.
Glad you found it, and thank you, Glenn. That was great.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 04-07-2024, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Glenn another outstanding cover version and I agree is one of best productions to date so--

I am always in awe of how you are able to replicate some of the recognizable melody lines yet make it your own --very well done here with the LP

And thanks for the mention of my previous modest cover version. And no do mind at all instead am a bit flattered that it led to this version. What is it Oscar Wilde said ? "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”.. I realize you are imitating Bob,---- but hey I'll take what ever I can get

Also just for a bit of trivia When I covered it live (just guitar and vocal) it was also well served and got a good audience reaction when I used my 12 string..

And lastly my favorite line is which I feel is one of he best observations of performing ever penned "Out there in the spotlight you're a million miles away. " When I was young I was pretty shy and loner, and as counterintuitive as it may seem always found that juxtaposition of performing solo as an effective means to deal with that shyness--if that makes any sense ?

Any way again, very well done and Kudos

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 04-07-2024 at 07:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell