The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal2B View Post

OP - I suspect you have a spring loaded capo, and are perhaps putting it on too far into the joint before letting go of the handles...?
Yes and yes.
David
Old 10-07-2020, 09:01 AM

I like the G7 Nashville capo. Kind of like a lower-tension Kyser. Light and unobtrusive.

The aforementioned D'Addario NS capo also works really well.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:11 AM

I only have two capos and both have worked well for me. The G7th Heritage is an awesome yolk style. I also have a Thalia that I also use quite a lot.

I would recommend either.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 10-07-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
+1 on this; ART = Adaptive Radius Technology.

Don

Same for me.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
For under $20 you can't go wrong with a Shubb capo. Have you checked your tuning with the capo on to see if it's having an effect?
Agreed. The Shubbs are good because you can control the tension. I do prefer cradle-style capos, however, because they have less of a tendency to pull the strings to one side. Although my favorite is my G7th Heritage, I use a Paige on my Gretsch electric, and at less than $25 I'm very happy with it. BTW, I've had a Shubb for many years, and it's now my backup capo.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-07-2020, 05:06 PM

Another fan of Paige capo, have one on my 12 fret and thinline. Treated myself an Eliot for my Guild. I’m a fan of cradle capos.

Like others, I have a shub (first purchase when I started playing) and keep it as a back up for the reasons others have noted.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:23 PM

I like the G7th Newport capo. It's light, you can adjust the tension with ease, and it only costs $30 USD.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
Another fan of Paige capo, have one on my 12 fret and thinline. Treated myself an Eliot for my Guild. I’m a fan of cradle capos.

Like others, I have a shub (first purchase when I started playing) and keep it as a back up for the reasons others have noted.
Do you by any chance have the Paige Wide/Low capo on your 12 fret? My Paige standard capo doesn't seem to be wide enough for the higher frets of my 12 fret slothead, and I'm thinking about getting the Wide/Low PC-6-2-2.250-R model.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top

Last edited by skyblue314; 10-14-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:19 PM

Having owned G7TH Newport and G7TH Performance 2 as well as other brands, I can't recommend anything else but anything G7TH. Their capos are top notch. I'm glad I'm giving away one, the Newport to another member, I'm sure he'll enjoy it much.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
Having owned G7TH Newport and G7TH Performance 2 as well as other brands, I can't recommend anything else but anything G7TH. Their capos are top notch. I'm glad I'm giving away one, the Newport to another member, I'm sure he'll enjoy it much.
Agree 100%. The first gen G7 worked perfectly, and they just got better from there. Theyre all
I use now.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:24 PM

I like my Thalia capos. They’re overpriced and I don’t mind. I get to support a regional small business with impeccable customer service.

Plus they’re just so pretty.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakewoodM32Fan View Post
They cost more than the average capo but I’m a big fan of G7th capos. Current using their third generation ART version, and I’ve not had it mark up my neck (it’s padded) and does a good job of evenly distributing the tension so it doesn’t pull your guitar out of whack. By definition all Capps will pull your string a tad sharp but IME this one does it only a fractional amount and does it so evenly that unless I’m critically recording where near perfect pitch is essential, I don’t even bother to recheck tuning because it does such a good job.
I always go back to G7, great product, great range of capos and great customer service!
Old 10-14-2020, 09:27 PM

I've been a Shubb capo fan and user since 1982. I still get the latest new capo designs that come out, but they always end up going into a drawer as I continue to use Shubb capos. I've got one in every instrument case pocket, and have a couple out in my living room handy to where I like to sit and play.

With any of these capo designs there's a bit of a learning curve before you get used to them so you can move them as needed without having to stop and think about it. But the Shubb was the quickest capo to figure out I've ever used - it took me about two or three seconds.

Shubb Deluxe Capo

While I did do some finish damage to the back of the neck of my main gigging guitar when I used my previous capo choice, the Picker's Pal, I've never done any damage to any of my instruments with any of my Shubb capos. About the only times I've heard about people damaging their guitars with a Shubb is when they've had butterfingers and the capo slipped from their hands and fell from a great height onto their guitar's top.

I think I've only read two or three stories along those lines in the more than 25 years I've been active in online guitar forums. So you really have to work at it to get a Shubb capo to damage your guitar!

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-14-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've been a Shubb capo fan and user since 1982.
I've used a Shubb capo for about that long as well, and I really like it, but I've come to like my cradle-style capos more. The Shubb is still my backup capo, however. If cradle capos didn't exist I'd still be using the Shubb.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-14-2020, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Another Shubb Here

Another vote here for Shubb. Previously I had really liked a Planet Waves, that like the Shubb, has a thumb screw for adjusting tension. I think being able to apply just enough but not too much tension helps avoid/minimize the de-tuning effect of some capos and it probably also helps avoid neck damage. BTW, I just recently noted that Shubb added a "V" model for V-profile necks vs C or U, flatter profiles. I've got a couple soft V necks....guess I'm getting another Shubb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion