The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-26-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I saw Sylvester on April 14, 1973. He and the Hot Band were the first band on a bill that included Genesis (their first US tour) and It's A Beautiful Day. Sylvester was cool, mostly funk (pre-Disco), and Genesis stole the show.
I saw him at the Opera House. I used to Usher there. You had to do all the events pretty much, which was the downside. The upside was you got to sit on the steps and watch the shows once the house-lights dropped.

Turned into one of the longest most memorable nights of my life. A couple of younger guys (compared to the usual Opera House Guests) were curious about why a "kid" would be ushering, and we started talking, and in the second intermission, they invited me out afterwards.

Perfect world, it would have been to the after-party with Sylvester and all the other performers. Not the case. BUT, and it's a big but, Turns out they were in the band The Tubes. Long night. Very long night.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:23 AM

Disco was never evil, and it didn't kill rock n roll. If you were in a rock band at the height of disco, there were plenty of places to play for your audience. Our band played whenever we wanted - we had the luxury of turning down gigs sometimes, and we were by no means a pro band. Most of the rock guys I knew also went to the disco clubs when they weren't playing a gig - that's where all the women were. All my female friends loved to dance, and although I didn't love it, I danced. An danced some more - love it or not, disco is made to make you move. Our rock band actually played instrumental versions of a couple of disco tunes at our gigs to get the crowd moving. It was hilarious to see hardcore disco haters dancing to "Shake Your Booty" - without the lyrics they weren't sure what song it was.
Disco had no big impact on the music I play - if anything, I guess it made me more inclusive of other genres, an attitude I try to keep to this day.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:29 AM

It made me vaguely aware of the possibility John Travolta might have more to offer than just Vinnie Barbarino.

Musically, it was just another genre from which we could cherry-pick tunes we liked.

The finest application I can recall for Disco music is the dancing scene in "Airplane".

Last edited by H165; 09-26-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
It made me vaguely aware of the possibility John Travolta might have more to offer than just Vinnie Barbarino.

Musically, it was just another genre from which we could cherry-pick tunes we liked.

The finest application can recall for Disco music is the dancing scene in "Airplane".
Well played.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:40 PM

I worked full time as a sideman playing keys starting in the 70's and continuing through most of the 80's. I took the gigs as they came, played what I was paid to play no matter what it was - R&R, R&B, Top 40, Country, Disco, Elvis Tributes - whatever. It really doesn't matter the genre, per se, its playing the same set lists 4 or 5 sets a night, 5 or 6 nights a week that becomes tedious. Not to mention the smoke-filled nightclubs and the stereotypical denizens there of.

Eventually it burned me out and I ended up back in college, stayed local, got another source of income and only played as a supplemental income. That allowed me to be more selective and to concentrate on my own development. Not to mention making relationships functional.

I believe the death knell for working musicians resulted in a few factors that hit in the 90's, like Baby Boomers settling down and not going to clubs, drunk driving laws and increased liability for bars, technology that allowed smaller ensembles and single performers, fricking DJ's, loss of union protections, corporate cost cutting in hotel chains, etc, etc. More a less a perfect storm that got us to where we are now, essentially playing for next to nothing.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:22 PM

In SoCal we had a few FM stations (KMET KlOS) that played rock only, so there never was a shortage of it, but some of the girls liked disco so we did what we had to do and wasn't that big of a deal. Those were the days...Too bad we didn't know it though....
Old 09-26-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Those were the days...Too bad we didn't know it though....
Really. Probably a good thing....
Old 09-26-2020, 05:49 PM

I found it helped if you bear down.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-27-2020, 06:31 PM

I was never a fan of disco, and that’s putting it mildly. Being a hard rock kinda guy, disco wasn’t the least bit interesting to me.

Funny thing, all these years later I find myself sitting here on occasion listening to The Bee Gees on PBS with my wife and daughter, and I can almost tolerate some of it.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:08 AM

I was just still learning to play, but it ruined my perception of what was good music. Suddenly, nobody was listening to the music my friends and I were experts in and took seriously. But if you wanted to meet girls and go to clubs, you had to get with the program. Nowadays, I can sometimes listen to a disco song and appreciate a good rhythm track, but its not my music.

Oh, and I could never take Disco Rod Stewart seriously again.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:06 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
I saw him at the Opera House. I used to Usher there. You had to do all the events pretty much, which was the downside. The upside was you got to sit on the steps and watch the shows once the house-lights dropped.

Turned into one of the longest most memorable nights of my life. A couple of younger guys (compared to the usual Opera House Guests) were curious about why a "kid" would be ushering, and we started talking, and in the second intermission, they invited me out afterwards.

Perfect world, it would have been to the after-party with Sylvester and all the other performers. Not the case. BUT, and it's a big but, Turns out they were in the band The Tubes. Long night. Very long night.

I'd hardly consider the Tubes as any sort of disco! What a great number it was! Too bad they were pretty much a one hit wonder....

I could never be a disco kind of guy, and only enjoyed dancing while intoxicated. Back in the 70s, I did have a leisure suit, but that was far as my disco experience got!
The disco music just seemed more refined, & Jazz like. There was lots of talent involved... My grudge against "Disco Culture", is that it opened up the era of using DJs, instead of live entertainment for dancing joints, a plague for musicians, which continues into the present!

Don
Old 09-28-2020, 09:09 PM

I ignored it.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
I'd hardly consider the Tubes as any sort of disco! What a great number it was! Too bad they were pretty much a one hit wonder....

Don
They did do this surprisingly good power ballad too ...

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-29-2020, 08:36 AM

These folks didn't like disco!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP1751wJA

Fog
Old 09-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
These folks didn't like disco!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CP1751wJA

Fog
Just goes to show it really doesn't take much to get destructive crowd mentality fired up I mean, Disco Really ?????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic