The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-24-2020, 02:43 AM

Default RIP - Justin Townes Earle

I know its been a month since his untimely demise but I just wanted to offer tribute to one of the greatest songwriters in our generation.

His music resonated with me so profoundly with his battles with addiction and his music has helped me through plenty dark times.

Rest in peace Justin, greener pastures await your tortured soul.

Nahil.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:16 AM

It’s a shame that he’s gone, no question about it. It makes it all the tougher when a musician that you’ve followed closely dies before his time.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-24-2020, 03:46 AM

He really was very special, I've been listening to him over and over. Such a performer too - could hold a room with a small guitar and his songs. Hope you're doing ok Nahil.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
He really was very special, I've been listening to him over and over. Such a performer too - could hold a room with a small guitar and his songs. Hope you're doing ok Nahil.
He was a very special soul indeed.

Thanks for your well wishes I am doing ok. Mental illness (addiction, depression, anxiety) sure is a rough ride so I try to ride the wave and take it one day at a time.

Nahil.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

I saw a YouTube video of him singing Hesitation Blues, and whilst I couldn't understand all he said he seemed to be joking about spending $2500 a day no drugs.

I went through the blues and R&B music scene in London and there was a whole load of "stuff" available - and, yes I tried some "resin" (which occurred to me was pretty silly and lost us a radio programme) and was offered a sugar cube, which someone (god bless him) suggested it was a bad idea.

I saw and met people who shot up, and took purple hearts (Amphetamines?) but I never wanted to try them.

Music was my high.
I don't understand why people do this to themselves.

I get that long tours can be both boring and tiresome but for young guys and gals to fall for this industry, simply mystifies me.

Such a waste of life and talent and all the money goes to criminals.
Something seriously wrong there.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:19 AM

Here he is talking about addiction himself. Would suggest that for many it's an illness, not a choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIHebvTJ9mM
Old 09-24-2020, 06:35 AM
Guitar Gourmet

RIP JTE
I hit the city and I lost my band
I watched the needle take another man
Gone, gone, the damage done.

I sing the song because I love the man
I know that some of you don't understand
Milk blood to keep from running out.

I've seen the needle and the damage done
A little part of it in everyone
But every junkie's like a settin' sun.

Neil Young
Neil was wise before his age when it came to this subject.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-24-2020, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I saw a YouTube video of him singing Hesitation Blues, and whilst I couldn't understand all he said he seemed to be joking about spending $2500 a day no drugs.

I went through the blues and R&B music scene in London and there was a whole load of "stuff" available - and, yes I tried some "resin" (which occurred to me was pretty silly and lost us a radio programme) and was offered a sugar cube, which someone (god bless him) suggested it was a bad idea.

I saw and met people who shot up, and took purple hearts (Amphetamines?) but I never wanted to try them.

Music was my high.
I don't understand why people do this to themselves.

I get that long tours can be both boring and tiresome but for young guys and gals to fall for this industry, simply mystifies me.

Such a waste of life and talent and all the money goes to criminals.
Something seriously wrong there.
It's a disease. In the middle of him spending that money, I can assure you he wasn't having any fun. It starts innocently enough with a pint or a joint or a presciption from a legitimate doctor. His life was probably hell on earth during this time. It's common among recovery communities to have gallows humor over those points in your life where you were hitting bottom. It doesn't start like that, it just happens both slowly and simultaneously in the blink of an eye. They definitely didn't set out to ruin their lives. I know that can be hard to imagine for someone who hasn't been a drug addict or an alcholic. But as someone who is in recovery myself, I like to at least try to explain a little bit about what it's like to those that haven't had that experience. Unfortunately, not all of us make it out.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwards View Post
Here he is talking about addiction himself. Would suggest that for many it's an illness, not a choice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIHebvTJ9mM
I very much agree and speak from personal experience. You may be lured into that type of lifestyle, it feels good, but once the addiction has gotten a hold of you it is not rational and hard to explain to anyone that hasn't been through it. You know it's wrong / dangerous / and detrimental to you, yet it does offer an escape from internal suffering and pain. that is how the downward spiral begins, and it is a rabbit hole that is unforgiving and brutal .... I wish everyone struggling from addiction / depression / anxiety, all the strength to battle their demons.

Wishing you all peace, love, and strength.

Nahil.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
It's a disease. In the middle of him spending that money, I can assure you he wasn't having any fun. It starts innocently enough with a pint or a joint or a presciption from a legitimate doctor. His life was probably hell on earth during this time. It's common among recovery communities to have gallows humor over those points in your life where you were hitting bottom. It doesn't start like that, it just happens both slowly and simultaneously in the blink of an eye. They definitely didn't set out to ruin their lives. I know that can be hard to imagine for someone who hasn't been a drug addict or an alcholic. But as someone who is in recovery myself, I like to at least try to explain a little bit about what it's like to those that haven't had that experience. Unfortunately, not all of us make it out.
I hear you. Stay strong brother.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic