The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Default Studio Treatment

So I have been working on acoustic treatments for my little room. 11x13, 10.5' ceilings. A cursed rectangle. I am going to look at REW tonight and see what it tells me. I don't have any reason to believe I will understand it, but if I look then I will feel smart.

I have 2 2x4 broadband panels and 2 2x4 bass traps. The goal is to cut down reflections and booming bass for recording acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and vocals and getting decent sound from monitors.

The Plan: http://flic.kr/p/buapPr

My plan includes 2 superchunks filled with R30, with 32" face. I have attached my plan for superchunk, recognizing I may have to add bracing to the front if necessary.

The Chunks: http://flic.kr/p/buapNK

Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thbassbA View Post
So I have been working on acoustic treatments for my little room. 11x13, 10.5' ceilings. A cursed rectangle. I am going to look at REW tonight and see what it tells me. I don't have any reason to believe I will understand it, but if I look then I will feel smart.

I have 2 2x4 broadband panels and 2 2x4 bass traps. The goal is to cut down reflections and booming bass for recording acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and vocals and getting decent sound from monitors.

The Plan: http://flic.kr/p/buapPr

My plan includes 2 superchunks filled with R30, with 32" face. I have attached my plan for superchunk, recognizing I may have to add bracing to the front if necessary.

The Chunks: http://flic.kr/p/buapNK

Let me know your thoughts.

My experience has been to treat the areas where walls meet each other as well as where they meet the ceiling first. After that I'll listen to the room and decide what spots need further treatment.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 AM

As far as mitigating bass reinforcement goes, recognize there are twelve dihedral corners in a room; four where the walls meet the ceiling, four where the walls meet each other, and four where the walls meet the floor. In your case you have as much as (4 x 11') + (4 x 13') + (4 x 10.5') = 138 linear feet of corner bass reinforcement you can treat. Don't overlook straddling panels over the wall to ceiling corners--you can't have too much bass trapping in a small room.

As far as first reflections go, you have the bounce points between either you and the monitors, or you and the mic, on the four walls as well as on the ceiling and on the floor. Don't forget an overhead "cloud" panel and carpeting/throw rug on the floor. Reflection panels should be large enough to allow you some movement (which moves the bounce point).

Last edited by Moe; 02-16-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:57 AM

Pretty much what Moe said.

Your ceiling height is a blessing, though. 10 1/2 feet makes for a much larger space. You might could get a decent room sound out of that.

My room is similar in size but with 8 foot ceilings. It's so small, my strategy was simply to suck out as much room as possible. You can get decent room sounds from small rooms....but...they are few and far between. I have eight 2' X 4' X 4.5" bass panels in corners and clouds above recording and mixing positions and six 2' X 4' X 3" panels throughout my room on critical bounce surfaces as Moe described. I build my panes for around $400. Go the the acoustics section of gearsults for advice if your interested.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 PM

Looks like you have a good plan. I think most will agree that the more bass trapping the better for a small space.

I have a 12 x 12 x 8 space that I had. Here's a blog about it with photos.

http://davidyoungmanmusic.com/blog/m...omplete_studio

I hung four 2' x 4' x 4" bass traps of OC703 and three 2' x 2' x 4" bass traps. Then I have one mobile 2' x 2' bass trap. I also have some skyline diffusors that I made.

According to the calculations I did for absorption I need for this space, I have about half of the recommended amount. After hanging all the acoustic treatment I measured with test tones and an SPL meter. I measured various low frequencies as being a higher volume by about 10db. When I work on projects I notice the 125Hz ringing the most.

The one thing I see from your photo is the panels on the side walls. You'll want to make sure they are positioned for the earliest reflection. Maybe you already know about this. To find the the early reflections sit in your desk chair and have someone move a mirror along the wall. When you see the speaker in the mirror that is the early reflection point. You can also do this on the ceiling, though with your higher celing it may not be as big of an issue.

Your sofa may help with the bass trapping as well.

Have fun building!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD