The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 03:39 AM

cradle style all the way. Pick your poison- Paige, Elliot, D'addario.

The only cradle style I have not liked is the Taylor one
Old 10-15-2020, 11:04 AM

I go back and forth between Shubb and Paige.
For my round neck resonator guitar, I really like the Paige.
It works great on stage. Fast and easy to use.

Lately i have been doing a lot of songs in the key of E.
I use my Shubb to fret 5 strings and leave the bass E string open.
This allows for some very nice sounding chords.
I can't do this tuning with my Paige as it covers all the strings.

My third choice is Kyser but some of you may have read my story about
the damage that Kyser did to my guitar's headstoock.
As long as I put the Kyser on the fretboard when needed and then remove it totally from the guitar , it works fine.

For those of you that think Kyser capos assert too much pressure, you can reverse the pad that touches the back of the guitar's neck.
It has two heights. The factory sets the capo with the thick side of the pad in use.
You can also slightly bend the bar to give more or less tension.

Sense finding about these adjustments, I have started using the Kyser more lately.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:05 PM

I found the Shubb Deluxe (stainless) to work and sound best on my Martin. I also do "Here Comes The Sun" (and "If I Needed Someone") and use the capo on the 7th fret. Shubb's are adjustable so I set it to light clamping. You can even put a shim under the strings (thin plastic business card tailored cut to fret). A trick I learned from Tommy Emmanuel was after clamping, pull up on each individual string and it should get it back in tune nicely. Oh, and I've found using a Shubb stainless 12 string version works best for my 6 string at the 7th fret (and everywhere else actually) but especially as the fretboard gets wider up the neck; there's less repositioning needed with the longer bar.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I go back and forth between Shubb and Paige.
I use a Paige on my Gretsch electric and a G7th Heritage on my HD-28V. The Paige fits the rounded neck of the Gretsch better than the G7th, and it doesn't tend to slide on the flatwound strings as much as the G7th does. The Shubb is still my backup, however.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-15-2020, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I've tried them all and I always come back to the very simple and inexpensive Planet Waves (now owned by D'Addario) NS Pro capo. You dial in only the amount of tension you need so no worries about too much tension that can dent your neck and/or wear your frets or too little and you get buzzing strings. I do like the yoke style capos but for me it takes two hands to put them on and move them around so my Shubb F1 Fine Tune stays in it's box.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Just got the newest one today.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:49 PM

Dumb Paige capo question- when not in use do you slide it above the nut ? Will it slide over the nut even if your neck has a volute ? For that matter does the Elliot stow away above the nut ?

I need a new capo. I'm tired of the clip on types I use pulling the strings out of tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I use a Paige on my Gretsch electric and a G7th Heritage on my HD-28V. The Paige fits the rounded neck of the Gretsch better than the G7th, and it doesn't tend to slide on the flatwound strings as much as the G7th does. The Shubb is still my backup, however.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:15 PM

What I immediately noticed when I went from aluminum or light weight capos and going to a stainless Shubb is that my Martin sounded instantly bigger/louder and more resonant. And it was only $16 from MF.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post

For under $20 you can't go wrong with a Shubb capo.
Surely the poster jests.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

There are massively more expensive rivals that, in my opinion, do have an edge sound wise, but for consistency, ease of use, longevity and great value for money you cannot beat the Shubb Deluxe.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 10-23-2020, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbutcheraxis View Post
Dumb Paige capo question- when not in use do you slide it above the nut ? Will it slide over the nut even if your neck has a volute ? For that matter does the Elliot stow away above the nut ?

I need a new capo. I'm tired of the clip on types I use pulling the strings out of tune.
I have Paige Original capos on 2 of my guitars, and they live on the nut. The only time I take them off the guitars is for string changes.

On my 3rd guitar I had to buy the D'addario cradle capo because a Paige won't fit on the nut due to its neck shaping. The D'addario and G7th type have more room than the Paige but you'd really have to try each one to see what fits. There are plenty of photos on the Web of cradle capos stored on the nuts of guitars with a volute.

Nut storage is the deal braker for me. And when I started to use a cradle capo it was a revelation. My song set uses a capo on every fret between the open strings and the 5th fret. So every time I pick up a guitar I need a capo and I'm constantly moving it between songs. The tuning stability of cradle capos is a big bonus too.

I used shubb and Kyser style capos for years and wouldn't go back now. I wish I could get back all the time I spent looking for them! Where's my capo now? It's on the nut of whatever guitar I pick up off my stand or out of its gig bag.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion