The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 10:13 AM

Default Fingerpicking 12 string

Haven’t played a 12 string in decades, before I started really playing fingerstyle, and having to make some adjustments from my 6 string technique. I have artificial nails, but seemingly no matter how hard I strike the bass strings with my thumb, I can usually only sound the octave strings - little sound from the lower of the pairs. Ok, well putting on a thumb pick helps with that, though it also is an adjustment to my technique as I normally don’t use one. I can pretty much sound both the high b and e courses with my fingers, but am having a really hard time when plucking the g strings with them. I’m having a hard time getting that high g to sound - my finger usually just activates the lower g. Anything that works for you guys?
Old 10-23-2020, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

I often finger pick my 12string but then I am a banjo player and always use finger picks (including thumb). I'm not sure what to say here other than just keep working on your technique and concentrate on that aspect.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:39 AM

Fingerpicking 12 string

Jimi2,

I fingerpick all my instruments, including 12 string. I use my nails as picks, which does involve a little care and maintenance. Index, middle and, ring fingers I keep around 1/16", allowing for a little growth. As a right handed player, the biggest thing is that I shape the cut on the left side a bit so the nail doesn't catch the course too soon. My contact point is actually a smidge to the right of the center of the nail, which is where it is longest. This may vary depending on your stroke. I also cut the right pinkie nail as close as possible, as I use that as an anchor when needed. Mostly I use thumb an 3 fingers, but some pieces call for thumb and 2 in whole or in part.

The thumbnail I keep longer than the others, maybe out to almost an eighth of an inch, and carefully taper both sides. This helps a lot with a 12 string. Because of the gG course issue you mention, if it is important to a piece, I often substitute my thumb for the index finger when playing. This is entirely dependent on the material. Sometimes what I'm playing requires a that course to sound perfectly, say due to where the melody may be descending, or when a bass part is ascending form other octave courses, or even if that string is the lowest note played, I may often substitute the thumb, especially in a pinch situation. For example, much of my arrangement for "Factory Girl" by the Rolling Stones uses almost the top four courses exclusively, and is pinch picked much of the way. The dD course and the gG course form much of the bass parts, while the melody/harmony plays out in the gG, BB, and EE courses. Thus the gG course could be used for anything, including passing notes.

Sorry if that was a bit much, but it works for me.

Edit > I favor playing "Pipeline" and "Walk Don't Run" on 12 string. Don't be afraid to experiment with pieces not usually associated with a 12 string.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 10-23-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 10:39 AM

I have only really played with fingers for thirty odd years, both on electric and acoustic six strings. It took a while to adapt some pieces to 12 string. I found changing around up and down strokes from my usual practice helped on some songs, but it does come eventually.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:09 PM

I've been fingerstyling on 12 strings for 30 years and 2 things helped defining the tone of the instrument when I play it.
1- Attack of the thumb (and related shape and size of nail) and
2- re-thinking of the G strings pair.

For me the thumb attack on strings must be quite sideways, so that the left side of thumb picks the string but the nail's point is quite centred and the nail itself is not overlong. This allows for a healthy amount of flesh to "activate" the low strings before the nail picks them, thus producing a warm but clear tone.

As fo rthe G strings I solved the issue (same as you) simply swapping the pair so that when I pick the 2 strings from below (most of the time) the Higher octave is not covered by the lower, therefore both sounding nice and clear.
Hope this helps. Ciao.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 10-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post
Fingerpicking 12 string

Jimi2,

I fingerpick all my instruments, including 12 string. I use my nails as picks, which does involve a little care and maintenance. Index, middle and, ring fingers I keep around 1/16", allowing for a little growth. As a right handed player, the biggest thing is that I shape the cut on the left side a bit so the nail doesn't catch the course too soon. My contact point is actually a smidge to the right of the center of the nail, which is where it is longest. This may vary depending on your stroke. I also cut the right pinkie nail as close as possible, as I use that as an anchor when needed. Mostly I use thumb an 3 fingers, but some pieces call for thumb and 2 in whole or in part.

The thumbnail I keep longer than the others, maybe out to almost an eighth of an inch, and carefully taper both sides. This helps a lot with a 12 string. Because of the gG course issue you mention, if it is important to a piece, I often substitute my thumb for the index finger when playing. This is entirely dependent on the material. Sometimes what I'm playing requires a that course to sound perfectly, say due to where the melody may be descending, or when a bass part is ascending form other octave courses, or even if that string is the lowest note played, I may often substitute the thumb, especially in a pinch situation. For example, much of my arrangement for "Factory Girl" by the Rolling Stones uses almost the top four courses exclusively, and is pinch picked much of the way. The dD course and the gG course form much of the bass parts, while the melody/harmony plays out in the gG, BB, and EE courses. Thus the gG course could be used for anything, including passing notes.

Sorry if that was a bit much, but it works for me.

Edit > I favor playing "Pipeline" and "Walk Don't Run" on 12 string. Don't be afraid to experiment with pieces not usually associated with a 12 string.

Don
Thank you for the detailed response! Yeah, I have artificial nails for fingerpicking, and my thumbnail is the longest, but I can’t seem to get both bass strings to sound. I’ll have to keep trying I guess. I have already, fairly comfortably, started using my thumb with a thumb pick to jump to the G course when needed, instead of using my index finger.
Old 10-23-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Moose View Post
I've been fingerstyling on 12 strings for 30 years and 2 things helped defining the tone of the instrument when I play it.
1- Attack of the thumb (and related shape and size of nail) and
2- re-thinking of the G strings pair.

For me the thumb attack on strings must be quite sideways, so that the left side of thumb picks the string but the nail's point is quite centred and the nail itself is not overlong. This allows for a healthy amount of flesh to "activate" the low strings before the nail picks them, thus producing a warm but clear tone.

As fo rthe G strings I solved the issue (same as you) simply swapping the pair so that when I pick the 2 strings from below (most of the time) the Higher octave is not covered by the lower, therefore both sounding nice and clear.
Hope this helps. Ciao.

Thanks! I guess I’m not the only one having problems with the G pair. Are you saying you switch the two Gs order on the neck? If so, do you have to file out your guitar’s nut?

As far as the bass stuff, I’ll keep trying with my thumb. I keep the nail fairly long, so it’s hard to get much flesh on the strings...
Old 10-23-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
Thanks!Are you saying you switch the two Gs order on the neck? If so, do you have to file out your guitar’s nut?
Yes and.. maybe.
Filing the nut or not depends on the shape and size of the nut and grooves in it. On 1 of my 2 12strings guitar it didn't need doing, on the other it was built (custom work) with that feature from the start.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 10-23-2020, 03:49 PM

Gibson used to ship their 12 strings with double G string instead of an octave G.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:58 PM

I wonder if the Rickenbacker set up with the octave strings underneath the primary string might suit you?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-23-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I wonder if the Rickenbacker set up with the octave strings underneath the primary string might suit you?

It might, yeah. Guess I would definitely need a new nut for that, but otherwise I don’t see why not.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jimi,

I like to finger pick my 12-string and have played that way since I got my first 12-string at age 18. But the truth is, I am not really sure what advice to give on how best to do it. I do use a thumb pick and I use my fairly short finger nails.

I usually use 3 cameras when I record my videos, so I do have videos showing my picking hand. I don't know if this might be helpful. My YouTube channel is listed in my closing, and here is a playlist of my 12-string songs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cGXUrZPOWZs1p0

This song might be a good example of using the Travis pick on a 12-string:

This tutorial on Paul Simon's "For Emily..." might be helpful, also.

Best of luck to you!

- Glenn
Old 10-23-2020, 08:38 PM

I tend to use more of a "sweeping" vs plucking on the strings when fingerpicking my 12 strings, otherwise I never catch the octaves
Taylor 612CE

Furch 2018LTD (OM)
Furch Rainbow Series Jumbo 12s
Furch Little Jane

McFarland resonator
Old 10-24-2020, 08:01 AM

There's a local guy who gets excellent results with a set of Alaska Picks and a yellow Fred Kelly Speedpick...
Old 10-24-2020, 08:24 AM

I fingerpick my 12.

Most 12 string Gs are are set up with nut action like 6 strings - the bottom of both G strings are a uniform fixed distance from the frets. In my case, the TOP of both G strings are at or near the same height (mine are near), because I am using both an up-stroke with my fingerpick and a down-stroke with my thumbpick on that particular (G) course. This makes the action near the nut slightly stiffer on my .009 string, but that doesn't bother me.

It may also be that your g-string and octave-g are just too far apart. .100 is pretty wide; .070 is typical, anything smaller is a combination of personal preference and playing style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion