The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2020, 03:00 PM

On the same day I read about the GC bankruptcy, there is also an article discussing the record $700 Million in sales this year for Fender. Just struck me as kind of odd.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:15 PM

This is mainly a move from stores to on line which we see constantly these days, even more with covid. It will reduce used gear availability which I will miss and the opportunity to try new gear out.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroditus View Post
On the same day I read about the GC bankruptcy, there is also an article discussing the record $700 Million in sales this year for Fender. Just struck me as kind of odd.
Good point but Guitar Center has had debt for years.
Old 11-22-2020, 03:48 PM

I just saw the New York Times post about this. It’s too bad.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjimmy View Post
That’s a bummer. I could have sworn a couple months ago I heard that Guitar Center had record sales due to people buying instruments to finally learn during all this downtime.
Guitars Are Back, Baby!
Painted by some as a boomer relic just years ago, the guitar is seeing a revival that may just extend past the stress-purchase quarantine bounce.

Alvarez Yairi 5065
Fender 50th Anniv MIJ Telecaster
Old 11-23-2020, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I don't like moms and pops.
Always feel as though I am in a jewelry store .
Watching me so I don't steal something .
I'm just the opposite. I find gc to be too sterile
And McDonald's like. The staff is usually courteous but young and thinking they're pretty cool to be working there. Not usually knowledgable in the acoustic rhealm but
Can shred a flying v..
Old 11-23-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I've certainly known mom and pop stores that made me feel this way (actually not so much making me feel watched, as making me feel ignored and/or disrespected), and also others that made me feel welcome.

What mostly distinguishes mom & pop stores from Guitar Center is that they aren't all iterations of a single corporate culture. It's the difference between a neighborhood coffee shop and a Starbucks. The good thing about Starbucks (and GC) is that you always pretty much know what to expect. And that's also the bad thing. Every mom and pop music store is different--different target clientele, different selection of brands and models, and different vibe.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I've met some pretty good folks at the Guitar Centers in the metro Atlanta area. Some maybe not so good, but a few who are good musicians, knowledgeable, and seemed to really like what they were doing. I feel badly for any of them who may be losing jobs in this reorganization and will be hoping for GC to pull through this. There's always a human toll to any cutbacks or store closings.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:26 PM

Is it leap year again already?
Old 11-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRW1 View Post
I've met some pretty good folks at the Guitar Centers in the metro Atlanta area. Some maybe not so good, but a few who are good musicians, knowledgeable, and seemed to really like what they were doing. I feel badly for any of them who may be losing jobs in this reorganization and will be hoping for GC to pull through this. There's always a human toll to any cutbacks or store closings.
I have to agree with the staff in Atlanta. I frequent the Marietta and Kennesaw stores. Just bought a guitar and 412 cabinet in Marietta, staff is awesome. Hopefully they won't be closing my stores.
Old 11-23-2020, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Just watched a video by a financial YouTuber I don't follow, whose says his own pastime is to watch guitar videos so he did one on Guitar Center.

Most of it was details about your typical Chapter 11 filing and how Guitar Center got here (a bit about the Bain leveraged buyout etc), but key takeaways:
  • One reason for being pushed over the ledge during Covid is their Woodwind and Brasswind subdivison, which I didn't know existed, and sells primarily to school bands and the like. Those instruments unlike guitars depend much more on group activities (such as schools even being open) and the sales have cratered.
  • I forget what he based this on, but he said existing customer obligations like warranties and gift cards would be fulfilled, but the warranties could legally be met by the next-nearest store which could be far away after local closures. He also recommended against buying gift cards now.
  • Discount sales are a possibility at local stores chosen for closure. He said Guitar Center stock is held in the stores, not in warehouses, so it may make more sense to liquidate the stock on hand than shipping it to survivor stores.

Old 11-30-2020, 02:30 PM

As much as I rag on Guitar Center (and there's plenty to rag on), I believe in being fair so I'll give them props where they deserve it. It seems to be a Love/Hate or Yin and Yang thing.

I hate that their gear is so abused and picked on... but I love that fact that they let anyone play anything, pretty much.

I hate that they ran the mom-n-pops out of town... but I love the fact they they're open later and on weekends.

I hate that they sometimes overprice their used gear... but I love that fact that there's so much more available on their website.

And so on.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Do you give them cause?

Look, I don't know you, so I'm not trying to offend. I love mom and pop stores! I've only been in two GC stores, and both were pitiful experiences.

In retail, it's important for staff to acknowledge customers when they enter the store, and not to ignore them. What you perceive as "watching you" is staff letting you know that they are there to help, answer questions, and yes, make a sale.

I've worked in retail. The WORST thing a retail store employee can do is ask, "Can I help you?" Because the immediate, automatic response is usually, "No thanks, I'm just looking." At that point, the conversation is over, and retreat is in order. What I would do is see something on or about the person and use that as a conversation starter: "Hey, I like that Van Halen shirt! Did you ever see him in concert?" Now you've engaged a dialog, and it's all friendly.

Mom & Pop stores always (to me) seem to have some very compelling items. I like conversing with staff about guitars, local talent, and even technique. There is a local guitar store near to me, and I like going in there and just seeing what they've got hanging on the wall or standing on the floor. I don't always buy stuff, but I like the conversation.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know what you mean. There are a few in my town where the guy had worked there for years and he has a constant “better than you” attitude and won’t engage at all. I stopped going to those stores. I’m no great lover of GC either. I wish I had a great store that would deal on pricing and know to how to work on guitars, I’d give them business instead of learning to do it myself.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:38 PM

I am late to this thread. Don't know if anyone is still following.

Any idea if guitar prices will drop (or rise) due to the bankruptcy?
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion