The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-10-2020, 11:34 AM

I was with CD Baby from around spring of '19 with my album Reflections on the Day. Sold a few digitals to friends, but then of course things fell off.
Went back in there some months later and they said something to the effect of "we don't do this anymore" we just distribute to our partners....you have to be "approved" all over again as I initially had only a distribution via CD Baby. I did that (including ASCAP registration)......in Sept. got the "you've been approved for a Pro Registration" notice in September. Since then....nothing....no indication of any activity with partners, etc. I had a contact for support with him getting this done, he hasn't responded to my many inquiries!
I gather that this takes 3-9 months to set up with various platforms?
Anyway, I'm feeling "done" with CD Baby.
I'm now registered with Distro Kid and we'll see where that goes. Interesting to see that the founder of CD Baby loves Distro Kid!!
I'm certainly not doing this for any kind of income as a main factor, but enjoying a wider exposure through these platforms that will further touch friends and family and small groups who now follow me.
I guess we'll see.........!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-10-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
I was with CD Baby from around spring of '19 with my album Reflections on the Day. Sold a few digitals to friends, but then of course things fell off.
Went back in there some months later and they said something to the effect of "we don't do this anymore" we just distribute to our partners....you have to be "approved" all over again as I initially had only a distribution via CD Baby. I did that (including ASCAP registration)......in Sept. got the "you've been approved for a Pro Registration" notice in September. Since then....nothing....no indication of any activity with partners, etc. I had a contact for support with him getting this done, he hasn't responded to my many inquiries!
I gather that this takes 3-9 months to set up with various platforms?
Anyway, I'm feeling "done" with CD Baby.
I'm now registered with Distro Kid and we'll see where that goes. Interesting to see that the founder of CD Baby loves Distro Kid!!
I'm certainly not doing this for any kind of income as a main factor, but enjoying a wider exposure through these platforms that will further touch friends and family and small groups who now follow me.
I guess we'll see.........!
I think you may be confused re CD Baby. You pay for regular or 'Pro' distribution ($29/49 now), upload your songs and cover art, and unless you schedule a later release date, your music is distributed online in 3-6 weeks (some platforms take longer than others).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-10-2020, 03:27 PM

Thanks Mike.....well, possibly, but I did all the "paperwork", upload of files, legal stuff, cover art....the works in 2019. They told me there would be no charge as I had already paid them in '19. Yet here I sit. I'll look further and see where things might stand....
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-11-2020, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Thanks Mike.....well, possibly, but I did all the "paperwork", upload of files, legal stuff, cover art....the works in 2019. They told me there would be no charge as I had already paid them in '19. Yet here I sit. I'll look further and see where things might stand....
I suspect you didn't tie your upload into the pre-paid account, but let us know what you find.
I've released 3 albums through CDBaby, and they all went as I described.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD