The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-02-2020, 07:28 AM

Default What type of floor is best for music room?

Hi I have a music room, 9 x 9 feet, with a window, my computer station, a bookshelf and shelves holding CDs and vinyl LPs. Drywall walls and ceiling, real hardwood floor that is quite worn. I play and teach quitar in this room and some day will record solo fingerstyle pieces here. Should I re-floor with hardwood, laminate, ceramic, porcelain ?
Old 11-02-2020, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Hi I have a music room, 9 x 9 feet, with a window, my computer station, a bookshelf and shelves holding CDs and vinyl LPs. Drywall walls and ceiling, real hardwood floor that is quite worn. I play and teach quitar in this room and some day will record solo fingerstyle pieces here. Should I re-floor with hardwood, laminate, ceramic, porcelain ?
To clarify you are intending to re-floor no matter the material correct ?

Wood is actually one of most used floorings for recording studio live rooms .
Often with a throw rug. (I don't think sonically it matters much if it is solid hardwood or a lam-hard wood type)

However understand square room dimensions are commonly said to be one the least desirable configurations. So for recording if it has to be in that room, definitely consider absorbent room treatment.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-02-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

As KevWind said, a wooden floor is commonly the material of choice and people will opt for an area rug in cases where they feel they need it. But in case you're unaware, the issue for you is going to be that your room is small and square. If that's the room you have to use, it's going to need treatment to be suitable for recording.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-02-2020, 09:04 AM

Sonically, there's no difference between a wood floor and linoleum... IF it's on a slab and/or or a couple thick laters of plywood. Joists are an entirely different story. A joist floor with a minimal subfloor moves and vibrates like a guitar top, and a hardwood top layer on one of those can sound wonderful. A lot of the big, classic studios are or were like that.

Couch Standards
Old 11-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Default Something to consider for Floor

Aloha,

I have always preferred the sound of wooden floors for tracking in a recording space. (C'mon, Linoleum in a recording studio?)

As a lifelong renter, I've been presented with just about every flooring material option that's out there - even holes - that I had to adapt my recording to. It's the same reason why I went with DIY, PORTABLE broadband absorbers for Room Treatment - adaptability.

Suggestion: No matter your flooring material, if you are tracking solo guitar, just get a 1/4" 4'x4' piece of plywood (smooth, multi-ply Baltic Birch -it comes 5'x5'- is best) & put it over whatever floor you have in place, if not wooden. Bam, there's you wooden floor. I've often put it over carpeting, & yes, linoleum.

If you worry about storage for such a large, unwieldy piece of plywood when not in use, then cut it in half, put a piano hinge in it, fold it in half, put it under your arm & move it to storage. That also works well for platform bed bottoms for cleaning.

So there is no need to permanently re-floor a recording space if the benefits of wood are what you are seeking.

Good Luck!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 11-02-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

The volume of an acoustic guitar is not enough to set off vibrations in the room boundaries (nothing audible anyway). It's what is absorbed and what is reflected that counts. Regarding the floor I prefer the wood floor I have now versus the carpeted floor it replaced. However I also have the walls and the ceiling covered with acoustic panels.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-02-2020, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi pf-etc
My first studio started with thickly carpeted floor, and we were getting horrific low-mid 'bumps'. At the suggestion of someone here we pulled the carpet and it cleared up all the overly low-mid issues.

The floor was concrete and we had a one foot circle of carpet for player's feet (so if they tapped we didn't record it), and bass traps in the corners.

Our living room (entire house actually) has wooden floors, hard walls, popcorn ceiling, with some area rugs, drapes, and couches. It's actually a wonderful area to record in. Our carpet to floor ratio is about 80% wood.

The adjacent dining room (no wall between) is also great, but the ambience of sitting next to an oak table versus the nicely decorated living room is inferior and utilitarian emotionally.

We live in a low street-traffic area, so the occasional truck may leak in and require a re-take. It's rare.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-03-2020, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha,

Suggestion: No matter your flooring material, if you are tracking solo guitar, just get a 1/4" 4'x4' piece of plywood (smooth, multi-ply Baltic Birch -it comes 5'x5'- is best) & put it over whatever floor you have in place, if not wooden. Bam, there's you wooden floor. I've often put it over carpeting, & yes, linoleum.

If you worry about storage for such a large, unwieldy piece of plywood when not in use, then cut it in half, put a piano hinge in it, fold it in half, put it under your arm & move it to storage.

alohachris
I am really happy that this conversation started. I have been thinking about this very same subject matter myself. As I have always loved playing on Hardwood flooring but currently have carpeting.
I also have been contemplating building a portable floor just like what Aloha Chris has suggested. However...I will probably build it out of hardwood flooring. But still make it on a hinge or just two separate pieces for storage.
There is just this extra reflective sparkle with a piece of wood.
Actually, I think having carpeting and the portable small piece of wood might be the ultimate combination. You get some dampening with the carpet...and the immediate reflections from the small wood floorpiece.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
For my particular quirks, a cement slab would be the absolute best because I am an inveterate foot tapper. A throw rug on top would make it even more quiet.

Anything other than a cement floor will absolutely transmit foot vibrations to almost any microphone stand.

I don't do my own recording, and the studio where I do record has an isolation booth, but by virtue of it being on wheels, I can not tap my foot while I'm playing, so I have to stifle myself.

HE
Old 11-05-2020, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Howard's 'Foot-Stomping-On-Concrete' Story Is Funny

Aloha Howard & friends,

Your 'foot-stomping-on-concrete' story made me laugh because I had that very same problem when I first started recording. The steady thump! thump! thump! of Size 15's - always there in the background of every mix & every type of floor.

But the all-time greatest thumper from the Stomper's Hall of Fame had to be that incredible old-time, Minstrel Showman, Uncle Dave Macon. Here he breaks into spontaneous buck dancing (2nd verse) while playing his "banjar"- What loud ambient stomping noises on the wooden floor!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86i9qA3Jlc

Uncle Dave was a complete "engineer's nightmare" because he literally would get so worked up that he'd run around the studio or stage stomping his feet, changing instruments on the fly, & swinging his banjos around wildly - on every track! He absolutely couldn't control himself. Here, guitar accompaniest Sam McGee raps his knuckles & palms percussively on his guitar top while Uncle Dave buck dances on a break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqjl8Q61bA8

Engineers literally used to follow Uncle Dave around the room WITH PILLOWS to throw under his feet while recording because he was such a wild, natural man! Blow-up this picture. Uncle Dave's about to put his heel through a banjo head here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAO

And you couldn't exactly say, "Sorry Pal, No Take" to Uncle Dave because a hundred years ago, he was one of America's most popular acts on WSM's "Grand Ole Opry," broadcast weekly across the nation from Nashville.

You're in great company Howard, Ha! No matter what material the floor is made from or how large the room (or how big the pillows are - Ha!). What counts is the spirit of the music. ("Stifle Yourself, Edith!").

Here's just one more engineering nightmare from Uncle Dave - MICROPHONES BEWARE Of Flying Banjo's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gicjw5n92qQ

alohachris PS: Uncle Dave would be 150 years old this year!

Last edited by alohachris; 11-05-2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Howard & friends,

Your 'foot-stomping-on-concrete' story made me laugh because I had that very same problem when I first started recording. The steady thump! thump! thump! of Size 15's - always there in the background of every mix & every type of floor.

But the all-time greatest thumper from the Stomper's Hall of Fame had to be that incredible old-time, Minstrel Showman, Uncle Dave Macon. Here he breaks into spontaneous buck dancing (2nd verse) while playing his "banjar"- What loud ambient stomping noises on the wooden floor!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86i9qA3Jlc

Uncle Dave was a complete "engineer's nightmare" because he literally would get so worked up that he'd run around the studio or stage stomping his feet, changing instruments on the fly, & swinging his banjos around wildly - on every track! He absolutely couldn't control himself. Here, guitar accompaniest Sam McGee raps his knuckles & palms percussively on his guitar top while Uncle Dave buck dances on a break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqjl8Q61bA8

Engineers literally used to follow Uncle Dave around the room WITH PILLOWS to throw under his feet while recording because he was such a wild, natural man! Blow-up this picture. Uncle Dave's about to put his heel through a banjo head here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAO

And you couldn't exactly say, "Sorry Pal, No Take" to Uncle Dave because a hundred years ago, he was one of America's most popular acts on WSM's "Grand Ole Opry," broadcast weekly across the nation from Nashville.

You're in great company Howard, Ha! No matter what material the floor is made from or how large the room (or how big the pillows are - Ha!). What counts is the spirit of the music. ("Stifle Yourself, Edith!").

Here's just one more engineering nightmare from Uncle Dave - MICROPHONES BEWARE Of Flying Banjo's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gicjw5n92qQ

alohachris PS: Uncle Dave would be 150 years old this year!
Hola Chris,
Point taken, and appreciated!

I should have been more specific, though: It's the rumble being transferred into the mic via the stand, etc.

The actual tapping noise is NOT an issue, especially if it's in time with the music.

John Hartford would clog dance while playing banjo and singing, so it absolutely has its proper context!

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-06-2020, 07:42 AM

Red face

So helpful, thanks. I'll likely get a good quality laminate or hardwood floor.

These look nice, and I want to put up something permanently...any comments?

https://www.amazon.ca/TroyStudio-Aco...68724421&psc=1

Potentially snicker-inducement question...If I paint an acoustic panel with semi-gloss paint...would it affect the sound quality? Perhaps I'd paint half of the area of each panel.
Old 11-06-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So helpful, thanks. I'll likely get a good quality laminate or hardwood floor.

These look nice, and I want to put up something permanently...any comments?

https://www.amazon.ca/TroyStudio-Aco...68724421&psc=1

Potentially snicker-inducement question...If I paint an acoustic panel with semi-gloss paint...would it affect the sound quality? Perhaps I'd paint half of the area of each panel.
In reverse order are you talking about painting a #1 absorption panel, or a #2 diffusion panel. If #1,, I wouldn't ... #2 doesn't matter paint away.

And I would not use PVC for diffusion, period.. I would use wood, not to mention the best diffusion is a more randomized pattern.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 11-06-2020, 09:59 AM

Random short lengths and diameters of PVC pipe make very good diffusor panels, actually. A little heavier than a wooden equivalent, but you won't find a wooden equivalent.

Couch Standards
Old 11-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Random short lengths and diameters of PVC pipe make very good diffusor panels, actually. A little heavier than a wooden equivalent, but you won't find a wooden equivalent.
Interesting I could see that working, and seems that would be better than the static repetitive pattern squares in the link pf 400 posted . I guess being a carpenter I am just aesthetically prejudiced towards wood

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD