The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2020, 08:46 PM

Default Breedlove Oregon made dreads

Wondering how these respond to bluegrass style flatpicking. It seems like they don’t make this body style anymore, but I see them come up in the internets sometimes and I get curious... I also lose track of all their series names, but mainly interested in the US made ones.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Wondering how these respond to bluegrass style flatpicking. It seems like they don’t make this body style anymore, but I see them come up in the internets sometimes and I get curious... I also lose track of all their series names, but mainly interested in the US made ones.
The Mid-2000s Deluxe Revival Dreads are great. I had one that was a straight cannon, but the top was sunken in due to low humidity and I had to return it. They were designed by Preston Thompson. I've been on the lookout for the last few months for one because of that experience.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
The Mid-2000s Deluxe Revival Dreads are great. I had one that was a straight cannon, but the top was sunken in due to low humidity and I had to return it. They were designed by Preston Thompson. I've been on the lookout for the last few months for one because of that experience.

They were not designed by Preston Thompson....my bandmate and dear friend was the the sales manager at Breedlove at the time the Revival line was created....he actually owns and plays the heck out of the Revival 000 prototype that Jayson built...I recently asked him about this very subject recently because I keep reading it her on the the AGF but never heard anything about it when the Revival line was created...

.....according to him....he and Jayson Bowerman were the two individuals most responsible for bringing the Revival line into production....Preston was retained to help rep the line and had no direct hand in designing the guitars. That was pretty much all Jayson...and Jayson is a fantastic luthier..

...I saw played and heard a bunch of them as they were coming out of the shop...they were still built in Tumalo at the time. They are really nice guitars that compare very favorably to traditional Martin style guitars built by other companies....but Preston was a fine luthier in his own right....here is a nice short overview on Prestons career as a luthier...

https://pegheadnation.com/news-revie...pson-19562019/

Last edited by J Patrick; 11-20-2020 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:14 AM

Revivals were great
Roots were good
American series built around 2009-11 were good.
Oregon series....not a fan for bluegrass

My opinion only
Old 11-20-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Maybe not exactly what you’re asking for but LA guitars has this beautiful Legacy jumbo still new at a great price.
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....s-n-15906.html
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 11-20-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
They were not designed by Preston Thompson....my bandmate and dear friend was the the sales manager at Breedlove at the time the Revival line was created....he actually owns and plays the heck out of the Revival 000 prototype that Jayson built...I recently asked him about this very subject recently because I keep reading it her on the the AGF but never heard anything about it when the Revival line was created...

.....according to him....he and Jayson Bowerman were the two individuals most responsible for bringing the Revival line into production....Preston was retained to help rep the line and had no direct hand in designing the guitars. That was pretty much all Jayson...and Jayson is a fantastic luthier..

...I saw played and heard a bunch of them as they were coming out of the shop...they were still built in Tumalo at the time. They are really nice guitars that compare very favorably to traditional Martin style guitars built by other companies....but Preston was a fine luthier in his own right....here is a nice short overview on Prestons career as a luthier...

https://pegheadnation.com/news-revie...pson-19562019/
Good to know! Although I'm sure it helps with keyword searches on Reverb
Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillis View Post
Maybe not exactly what you’re asking for but LA guitars has this beautiful Legacy jumbo still new at a great price.
https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....s-n-15906.html
Thanks, yeah that looks great but I’ve mostly just been kicking around options for a less expensive guitar that I can bring to festivals, etc, when that kind of stuff starts happening again. I’ve seen some used Breedlove dreads at prices comparable to Eastmans, so I just kind of started wondering about them. We don’t really see them much here on the east coast.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
Good to know! Although I'm sure it helps with keyword searches on Reverb
Yeah...it does....Prestons having made some guitars for Charles and Peter gave him some significant cred that helped him launch his company...but Jayson Bowerman is very highly regarded as well and his association with the Breedlove Revival line is unknown to many...although I think his name may be on at least some of the labels...

....Preston was a fellow known to us in the Central Oregon music community but he was pretty much known as a guy who used to build guitars and had built some for a couple of famous bluegrass players. It was very cool when he opened up shop in Sisters...where I used to live...next to The Belfry no less which is the premier music venue in town. Visiting musicians like Molly Tuttle were able to go next door and play his guitars...that helped his business gain exposure...

Last edited by J Patrick; 11-20-2020 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

I own a Breedlove Masterclass Revival Dear (Axis), Adi/Koa. Great guitar, very suitable for for flat picking. It's also offered for sale .
From Breedlove "The craftsmen at Breedlove Guitars have taken a classic shape and made it to the standard quality that we have become known for. The attention to detail is immediately noticeable on this “pre-war” style Dreadnought. Here hand selected Adirondack Spruce has been used for the top and the back and sides are shimmering Koa, delivering balance across the tonal ranges. Breedlove Revival acoustic guitars feature forward X bracing, and a graduated top thickness that is thicker in the middle and thinner toward the perimeter, delivering a tone that is not only balanced but explosive. Simple yet elegant appointments grace this guitar, including, Indian Rosewood binding with Abalone purfling, an Ebony fingerboard and bridge, and our Revival Snowflake inlays. Articulate and woody, the AXIS is ideal for Bluegrass jams and heavy strumming."
McPherson Touring
Loar LM-500 mandolin
Fender Performer Tele
Various Basses
Old 11-20-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Yeah...it does....Prestons having made some guitars for Charles and Peter gave him some significant cred that helped him launch his company...but Jayson Bowerman is very highly regarded as well and his association with the Breedlove Revival line is unknown to many...although I think his name may be on at least some of the labels...

....Preston was a fellow known to us in the Central Oregon music community but he was pretty much known as a guy who used to build guitars and had built some for a couple of famous bluegrass players. It was very cool when he opened up shop in Sisters...where I used to live...next to The Belfry no less which is the premier music venue in town. Visiting musicians like Molly Tuttle were able to go next door and play his guitars...that helped his business gain exposure...
Bowerman I believe was the name on the one I had briefly. I wish I could have saved that one!
Old 11-20-2020, 11:35 AM

Thanks for all the thoughts. Anyone have experience with the Premier series?
Old 11-23-2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Revivals were great
Roots were good
American series built around 2009-11 were good.
Oregon series....not a fan for bluegrass

My opinion only
Well, I have a 2011 American Series on the way... Sitka over rosewood. Looks like it’s seen some use, but the price was right and it’s going to be an outdoor/campsite picker, so it ain’t got to look pretty.
Old 11-24-2020, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle215 View Post
Well, I have a 2011 American Series on the way... Sitka over rosewood. Looks like it’s seen some use, but the price was right and it’s going to be an outdoor/campsite picker, so it ain’t got to look pretty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion