The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM

Default DADGAD on short scale: "E-flat-GAD"

I should start with the disclaimer that I have a pretty unique set of circumstances, so this is a niche thing.

Ergonomically I'm limited to playing short scale (a spacing issue more than tension), but often play in DADGAD. Unfortunately this creates a couple of problems. The first is that there's a bit too much flop in the 1st, 2nd, and 6th strings, and the lack of tension doesn't provide a full or satisfying tone. Also, the low 6th string being tuned up and down tends to fatigue and it dies quicker than the others, so it gets even more thuddy.

I've stumbled on a solution that works for me and thought I'd share with the community in case anyone else wants to try it. The guitar sounds balanced and full when tuned to standard intervals, but down 1/2 step to Eb. When I want to play in DADGAD, rather than dropping the 1, 2, and 6 strings, I raise the 3rd, 4th, and 5th a whole step. Yes, this makes those strings 1/2 step higher than standard, but remember the guitar is short scale so they are probably similar in actual tension to a full scale tuned standard.

The effect is better bass that keeps its tonality longer, and also fuller high B(b) and E(b) strings, which balance everything out nicely.

I've been playing this way for a few weeks and haven't had to adjust neck relief. I assume that means "E-flat-GAD" is close to the same overall tension as standard tuning.

If anyone is wondering, I'm talking about my Taylor 12-fret, with D'Addario 80/20 EXP lights. I know I could start playing around with or mixing in other string gauges but I like the option of going to standard tuning any time I need to without changing my setup.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)
Old 11-23-2020, 05:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Sounds like a good solution, thanks for sharing it! I find that DADGAD works just fine on my short scale guitars with light strings (12's), but I like your approach and might give it a try.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I have a short scale guitar and do not have problems in DADGAD with light strings but there are string sets for DADGAD and they usually work without getting a new set up for them. That has been my experience anyway. Some people use a cut capo to get the effect of DADGAD with different chords. But, if your way works, more power to you!

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-23-2020, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

I often have my Seagull folk in DADGAD and lower tunings (with 12-54 silk and steel). I haven't noticed any floppiness, but I'm usually using a capo too.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion