The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-10-2020, 02:40 PM

Hey Kev, beautiful setup. What's the switching unit you have on your pedalboard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I'm lucky I have one of each, and like em both

Old 11-10-2020, 02:41 PM

I play both. The Strats I play most frequently seem to be rosewood, but not always as I usually mix it up.

As of late my MIA Oly White with maple neck sure has been calling me though

Old 11-10-2020, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Kev, beautiful setup. What's the switching unit you have on your pedalboard?
It is a Gig Rig - QuarterMaster 8, ---eight separate send and return loops, (along bottom of board )
And a Gig Rig - ABY Baby, which is the ABY switcher for the wet/dry system (positioned at top of board )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-10-2020 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
I play both. The Strats I play most frequently seem to be rosewood, but not always as I usually mix it up.

As of late my MIA Oly White with maple neck sure has been calling me though

You definitely need more strats - that's not near enough.

Is that MIA Only White an American Original or something else?

-Ray
Old 11-10-2020, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You definitely need more strats - that's not near enough.

Is that MIA Only White an American Original or something else?

-Ray
Hehe, thanks

The Oly white is a 2016 American Standard. The two to the left are 2014 FSR American Standards.

...and if you look real close, the one all the way in the back and on the right, is a Robert Cray Signature
Old 11-11-2020, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchtop View Post
Hehe, thanks

The Oly white is a 2016 American Standard. The two to the left are 2014 FSR American Standards.

...and if you look real close, the one all the way in the back and on the right, is a Robert Cray Signature
Quite an assortment. I love my Cray (with replaced neck) and so far it's taken on all comers and sent them packing. I was open to keeping some of them, but I never played them and always reached for the Cray. But the one guitar I'd like to check out sometime that I haven't had the chance to yet is an American Original 50's - given a choice, probably in Old White. Everything I've read about those and hear in various clips suggests I'd like it a lot. Enough to replace the Cray? No idea. But maybe someday in addition to it. Then I'd have 2/13 as many strats as you do! That's a worthy goal...

-Ray
Old 11-11-2020, 08:25 AM

I prefer maple, especially the maple on my EB Music Man guitars. No finish to wear through on those. But I also have a rosewood PRS and several others and ebony Taylors. None of them make a difference to the sound or my fingers but I do think maple looks the best on, Strats, Teles and MM Axis. I think rosewood looks better on the PRS and Les Paul's, archtops etc..
Old 11-12-2020, 06:10 PM

I have two Fenders and both have maple necks. I prefer maple over the rosewood. On other guitar I have many have ebony and I prefer that over rosewood as well. Purely for cosmetic reasons.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:31 AM

I don't think there's a tonal difference between the two, so neck material doesn't enter into the decision for me - if I like the way the guitar sounds and plays, I buy it. I have rosewood boards on both my Lone Star Strat and my trusty '89 Am Standard Strat that I bought new. My Am Standard Tele has a maple board. I like them equally. I just love a Fender neck, it makes me feel like I can play anything. (FYI - I actually can't, but that's not the guitar's fault.)
Old 11-14-2020, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

On my guitars, either maple or ebony are my preference. My American Pro strat has maple.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I never liked Fender maple necks. I always like the rosewood best.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 11-14-2020, 05:27 PM

Always rosewood for me. Mostly because I came from the Offset world where rosewood was the norm. When I finally got around to looking for a strat, it was the heyday of the "Eric Johnson strats have sticky nitro coated maple fingerboards!" fear mongering. That probably fed into my natural preference/familiarity for rosewood. So yeah. Rosewood. I wouldn't turn away from a great strat with maple, but it's not what I'm shopping for either.
Old 11-16-2020, 09:55 PM

Both of my Fenders have maple boards. I really like the look of a worn maple board.

Aesthetically, my two dream Fenders would be something like the American original 60s models. A strat in Olympic white with mint guard and rosewood board and lake placid blue double bound tele body with a rosewood board. I’d love to add a rosewood Fender to my humble little Fender collection below.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:25 AM

I used to hate maple fretboards. Now it's my favorite for 25.5" scale Fender type or Super Strats. I am transitioning to jumbo stainless steel frets, which minimizes fingerboard wear.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

I always think of maple as hard - its hard and smooth but rosewood is harder on the Janka scale so will wear better.

I read (somewhere) that you should never mount ebony on a maple neck because of differences in expansion rates can cause twisting of the neck.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars