The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-17-2019, 04:38 PM

Default Raimundo/Alhambra/Manuel Rodriguez/Cordoba/Loriente Clarita

hi there to everyone, im new in the forum, i am going to buy a classical guitar and i reduce my choices (forced by the stock in my city) to this models (i know they have different prices and characteristics)
if anybody have experience with them so they can help me choose more wisely!
thank you

models are:

*Raimundo 610 E (cutaway and fishman eq)
*Alhambra 5p (cutaway and fishman eq)
*Manuel Rodriguez FC (non cut and non eq)
*Loriente Clarita (from cordoba lines, non cut and non eq)
*Cordoba GK studio (thinline, cut and fishman eq)

also i saw a Limited Cordoba c5 thinline cutway and fishman Eq very nice, is cheaper but the limited has very nice exotic wood body
Old 10-17-2019, 08:23 PM

I can't speak to that particular Alhambra, but I have an Alhambra 10P open-pore Cadet (parlor size) that is one of my lifetime guitars. I love the sound, very balanced across all of the strings as well as up the neck. Well-made also. Hope this helps.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:29 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I've played a few of these, don't know how much difference there is in the batch, really. I played several Alhambra 5 models against the 7 back in 2008 and to be honest I'd probably not have been able to tell them apart blind listening. The 7 have better finish consistency out of the factory for (at the time) only a marginal cost increase (I was looking without cutaway and electronics). The Cordobas get so much good press around here that I'd definitely get my hands on one of those for a trial if I were back in the market - I don't much like the thinner bodies, but it depends what you're planning to do with it I suppose. Have fun getting your hands on everything you can, you'll probably learn a lot more about what you're looking for by playing as many as possible.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:34 AM

thank you both for your comments. The alhambra 5p and 7p (both with fishman eq) actually have a 300 usd difference here, i dont know if its worth it, the 7p deffinitly looks better but the sound i found it to be very close to the 5p.

*The thing is that the raimundo 610E is on sale at 450 usd with fishman eq solid top and solid back and sides, made in spain, and a hardcase, i dont know much about the brand but is a 750-900 usd guitar in most stores.
*The cordoba Gk studio is thinline and fishman eq, it has a lot of praise because is the "cheap" model that the world famous flamenco group "gipsy kings" use, is around 600 usd here.
*The alhambra 5p with fishman eq is 600 usd.
*The loriente clarita (cordoba factory model) is 700 usd no electronics
and the Manuel Rodriguez Fc is 900 usd, but is a 1700 usd guitar range

i choose these models because they are on sale right now on the local shop, and looking at the usual prices they are really on sale! i think the guitar shop is closing or something.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM

I recently acquired the MR FC. It was a "used" (actually factory second) that was listed at the store for $999.00. I was able to get them way down to $600.
I am very pleased with the FC. I love the rosette, the binding. It plays very nicely and is quite sensitive to the touch. Sound is very even and pleasing.
It came with a MR hard case.
One of the best purchases I have made in a long time.
I've not played any of the others you mentioned.

Last edited by MasterMonkeyMan; 10-18-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: additions
Old 10-18-2019, 10:17 AM

Just keep in mind that the Cordoba GK Studio and models with cutaways and electronics will have a 50mm nut width and a nice thin more 'modern' neck

While the other guitars listed are likely to have a 52mm nut width

I have a Gk Studio Limited and I love it! Super super comfortable to play. I have another budget classical by a company called Doff and it also has a 50mm nut and virtually the same neck. I love this particular nut/neck setup. Very easy to play and I can get my thumb over the neck onto the 6th string If i ever have to. Did i mention the cutaway is a nice bonus for play-ability?
The one 'downside' to these Chinese made guitars is their thick poly finish, but you could also look at it as an extra protection against environmental factors

Last edited by LemonCats; 10-18-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinmo View Post
*The cordoba Gk studio is thinline and fishman eq, it has a lot of praise because is the "cheap" model that the world famous flamenco group "gipsy kings" use, is around 600 usd here.
Just to correct the above, the GK studio is not thinline, sure the flamenco inspired build is slightly narrower than a classical but for an example of a thinline see the Cordoba 55FCE, that's quite a difference.

It is also not used by the Gypsy Kings. The GK is an entry level Chinese made guitar, good for the money certainly (I have owned two) but the band play more expensive guitars than that (in fact Tonino's signature (stage) guitar always used to be the model I mentioned above).

A few pointers for you in terms of your choice;
-do you need a pick up? Are you intending to gig with this? If not then why buy a guitar with a system in it? Apart from the ugly plastic square on the top side, you are paying for stuff you don't need *and* classicals/flamencos with in built systems are virtually always designed to be plugged in and designed to be a work horse (like the GK) - in other words their acoustic sound is often lacking in comparison to guitars at the same price point without electronics.
-do you need a cutaway? At the lower end of the market I think tone suffers a little, but the trade off depends on what style you want to play, whether this is a factor.

I have played some Alhambras that are real dogs, they are not too consistent and could be made just about anywhere by any Spanish factory under a sub contract deal. I turned down their 10F for a guitar by Prudencio that was hundreds cheaper and was far superior.

If it were me and I was looking for acoustic tone quality/volume it would be a toss up between the Rodriguez and the Loriente, especially if you are playing classical guitar music. On the other hand if you want more of a 'crossover type' guitar and/or are looking to perform, the Raimundo would be my choice.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 10-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
if you want more of a 'crossover type' guitar and/or are looking to perform, the Raimundo would be my choice.
thank you all for your replies.
Jhonny b good have you try or know anything about Raimundo guitars? thanks
Old 10-19-2019, 06:57 AM

Yes I used to own one. They are nice guitars with imo a better pedigree than Alhambra. The model you mention above is over a grand over here, it's a much nicer guitar than the GK.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 10-19-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinmo View Post
hi there to everyone, im new in the forum, i am going to buy a classical guitar
Why ?

Are you buying a classical guitar to play classical or do you just want a Nylon guitar?

Do you have a good acoustic amp to plug into to perform if not why the pu ?

The Cordobas with the fusion necks are great to play and can be played with the same technique as a regular steel string acoustic whereas a standard classical guitar is a different beast altogether.

2023 Eastman AC422CE-ae

Katoh DF69s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical