The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 AM

Default Why do bass strings have a long life

Why do bass strings last longer than guitar strings. Are bass strings further away from their breaking tension than guitar strings? Bass strings don't get worn out as fast as guitar strings because fretting effects a small part of the string. Bass strings are mighty tough. I heard you can tune bass strings up a third easily.

Last edited by guitar344; 01-24-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:51 AM

To me, they don't. Dull, lifeless bass is usually the indicator for me that I need to change strings.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:58 AM

I use D'Addario Chromes which are stainless steel. That's the main reason they last so long. Plus I look after them, keep them clean and dry. I like an almost double bass tone on my electric basses, especially the fretless, so I can allow them to age longer for that slightly less bright tone.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:25 AM

I play Bass at church. I put D'addario nylon tapewound on a maple body and neck Squier Jazz Bass. Clean and thumpy. When your looking for that kinda tone, the older the strings get the better they sound.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:34 AM

Back to the OP's question. I'm guessing cuz their so much thicker makes a lot of difference. Again in the end, the tone people are looking for is opposite of a guitar. Most don't want a bright sounding Bass. Those that do, probably replace strings often.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 AM

It's because they're more laid back, more chill than guitar strings.

Last edited by martind42; 01-24-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martind42 View Post
It's because they're more laid back, more chill than guitar strings.
Yeah, they're less high strung.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:18 AM

It's common for an electric bassist to remove an old set of strings, clean them well and re-install. They will not sound as bright as new, but often will recover quite a bit. I have a number of basses. One is a 1996 Thunderbird. It has countless shows and hours on it and still wears the original strings. For the tone of that bass and the amp I favor with it, clean old strings are fine. However, on an instrument where I require a very bright modern tone, I will select stainless rounds and change them often. I believe that the major difference is that the strings are big enough to suffer much less metal fatigue than guitar strings. For example, on acoustic guitar I'll use a variety of tunings and therefore constantly retune. I'll never use coated guitar strings, for one reason because they fatigue just as fast as regular, and they need to be changed for that reason before they get dirty or corrode anyway. This does not seem to be an issue with typical gauge bass strings.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 01-24-2014, 12:11 PM

It's fairly simple, really. Guitar strings and the frequency range they operate in have a lot of higher frequencies and harmonics. They sound dead when these highs start to fade. Bass strings never had them in the first place.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:37 PM

The last two contributors to this thread mentioned some factors that I think are crucial here. First, Wengr wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
I believe that the major difference is that the strings are big enough to suffer much less metal fatigue than guitar strings.
Right. They've got considerably more mass to begin with, and they also typically don't get yanked and cranked into a variety of alternative tunings, which is what really kills guitar strings faster than anything else.

Then Earl pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It's fairly simple, really. Guitar strings and the frequency range they operate in have a lot of higher frequencies and harmonics. They sound dead when these highs start to fade. Bass strings never had them in the first place.
Precisely.

So with bass guitar strings you've got these two crucial factors from the outset: they're just got far more metal in them than guitar strings have, making them considerably less fragile, and - perhaps more importantly - the upper harmonics that are needed to give guitar strings their full sound are not needed from bass strings. If those upper partials were present in bass guitar strings they would, in fact, get in the way of the bass guitar's usual musical role.

Of course, there are exceptions to that. Those of us who remember Stanley Clarke's marvelous playing and his innovative Alembic basses would say: "Sounds to me like there are some upper partials flying around THERE," but Clarke and his instruments are the exception that prove the rule.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments