The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-14-2022, 02:36 PM

Default New Schoeps Mic Is Faulty

I just received the pair, plugged them in and one mic makes the VU meter dance around. Then switched channels, still dances around. Connected my Gefells, and the VU meters were dead calm. As far as the sound of these cmc641s go, amazing!

Very disappointing!

Rick
Old 09-14-2022, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear of this. As with all things...a very low percentage of any product will fail. Also a possibility that in shipment something internally was broken.

Instead of returning it to the place where you bought it, I would suggest contacting the US distributors for Schoeps. They are the ones that will honor warranty repairs and or replacement. They are the ones who sell it to your dealer. They are excellent people and usually will respond quickly.

I would just call them at the number below.

Redding Audio, LLC

101 N Plains Industrial Road

Building 4

Wallingford, CT 06492

(203) 269-1808

[email protected]
Old 09-14-2022, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Too bad one is defective, very frustrating I’m sure. Were they a matched pair?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 09-14-2022 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Too bad one is defective, very frustrating I’m sure. Were they a matched pair?
Yes, a matched pair!
Old 09-14-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Sorry to hear of this. As with all things...a very low percentage of any product will fail. Also a possibility that in shipment something internally was broken.

Instead of returning it to the place where you bought it, I would suggest contacting the US distributors for Schoeps. They are the ones that will honor warranty repairs and or replacement. They are the ones who sell it to your dealer. They are excellent people and usually will respond quickly.

Redding Audio, LLC

Building 4

Wallingford, CT 06492

(203) 269-1808

[email protected]

Thanks! Vintage King is going to resolve the issue. At least I was able to hear these mics, and they are definitely an upgrade to my Gefell M300 pair. They are truly amazing mics!

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 09-14-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Thanks! Vintage King is going to resolve the issue. At least I was able to hear these mics, and they are definitely an upgrade to my Gefell M300 pair. They are truly amazing mics!
Great! I love my Schoeps. I have a matched pair in wide cardiod.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Great! I love my Schoeps. I have a matched pair in wide cardiod.
My room isn’t the best space acoustically, which is why I chose the mk41 capsule. So, I don’t hear the faint hum of traffic or the refrigerator, etc. With the Gefells, I’d hear everything in the room.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My room isn’t the best space acoustically, which is why I chose the mk41 capsule. So, I don’t hear the faint hum of traffic or the refrigerator, etc. With the Gefells, I’d hear everything in the room.
Good to hear VK will resolve it . The advantage of dealing with a well established reputable business
Because we experience so much reliable performance from electronics often we forget there is in fact a manufacturing failure rate ,, for electronics in the 70's it 15% to 18% I assume it is much lower now, but still there

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-16-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Good to hear VK will resolve it . The advantage of dealing with a well established reputable business
Because we experience so much reliable performance from electronics often we forget there is in fact a manufacturing failure rate ,, for electronics in the 70's it 15% to 18% I assume it is much lower now, but still there
Ya Kev, it is to be expected on occasion. I must say, my recordings now have a very accurate, yet lovely sound, and so pleasant on the ears. It is like my ears can relax! It also sounds like my applied PCM 92 effects sound better!? Can this just be my imagination? My signal chain is complete. This makes recording such a joy! BTW, the mic issue was one of the cmc6 preamps. The other thing I noticed, the capsule on the same mic was a bit snug trying to unscrew and screw back on, it’s like the capule is out-of-round, and I was afraid it could easily cross-thread. Nerve racking!

Regards!

Rick

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 09-16-2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Rick,
Sounds like you are back up and running, and very satisfied with how your mics are performing. Did they replace both mics (preamps and capsules) with a new matched pair?

Old 09-16-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Rick,
Sounds like you are back up and running, and very satisfied with how your mics are performing. Did they replace both mics (preamps and capsules) with a new matched pair?
Chuck, yes, I shipped them back to VK and they ordered a replacement pair from Schoeps. I was surprised they didn’t have more of these pairs in stock.

Rick
Old 09-19-2022, 12:38 PM

Vintage King informed me my replacement set was ordered, and it will take until the 30th of this month thru the 5th to receive from Schoeps. Bummer!
Old 09-29-2022, 02:35 PM

Default Mic Replacement

Looks like the wait continues: VK says they don’t expect a replacement until mid to late October. Sigh!
Old 09-30-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Redding Audio, LLC

Building 4

Wallingford, CT 06492

(203) 269-1808

[email protected]
Curiously, I reached out to Redding Audio, and was surprised when I was told they had not heard of the issue, nor have they received the mics, which were shipped back to VK on the 16th. This is very odd!
Old 09-30-2022, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Curiously, I reached out to Redding Audio, and was surprised when I was told they had not heard of the issue, nor have they received the mics, which were shipped back to VK on the 16th. This is very odd!
I'm not familiar with what the process is supposed to be, but I sure hope your replacement mics are being dealt with in a responsible manner and as timely as possible. Receiving faulty product, especially at the cost of Schoeps, is frustrating enough; surely don't deserve any delays in correcting the situation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD