The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-13-2022, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Thanks main reason I was asking was to compare vs my Klos and Journey RT660. Both of those can remove the neck via bolts to make for a more plane friendly traveller. Sounds like that might be an option here too.

Sent from my motorola edge (2021) using Acoustic Guitar Forum mobile app
I don't think the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus was envisioned as a plane-friendly guitar but I guess it could be as it has a naked-finish composite body and neck, so there isn't any kind of lacquer overlap to crack and deal with. You'd have to loosen the strings to remove tuning stress and accessing the neck bolts through the conveniently-located soundhole is easy. Perhaps, given enough feedback from players, IMHO Enya could modify the Enya X4 Pro to have a neck joint mounting mechanism that's easily accessible outside of the guitar and it would destroy the other brands as an airline-friendly traveler guitar.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-13-2022 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:10 PM

Yet another finding for the Nova Go... I took out the saddle, and lo and behold there is already a hole in the slot, on the bass side, for a UST pickup!

For completeness' sake, I unscrewed the tail strap pin. It is just a small screw hole, so you'd still have to do some drilling there to get an endpin pickup jack installed.

Also, the plan was to install a new saddle. I got a compensated TUSQ saddle from StewMac. Unfortunately, the StewMac saddle was so much lower out of the box than the stock Enya saddle--a full 1/8"--that the action ended up too low to be usable. The Enya saddle is nearly 1/2" tall, which is too high, but the slot is so deep the StewMac saddle is too short. Which is too bad, because on the lower three strings that didn't fret out and I could at least check the intonation, it was much better than the stock, uncompensated saddle.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Yet another finding for the Nova Go... I took out the saddle, and lo and behold there is already a hole in the slot, on the bass side, for a UST pickup!

For completeness' sake, I unscrewed the tail strap pin. It is just a small screw hole, so you'd still have to do some drilling there to get an endpin pickup jack installed.

Also, the plan was to install a new saddle. I got a compensated TUSQ saddle from StewMac. Unfortunately, the StewMac saddle was so much lower out of the box than the stock Enya saddle--a full 1/8"--that the action ended up too low to be usable. The Enya saddle is nearly 1/2" tall, which is too high, but the slot is so deep the StewMac saddle is too short. Which is too bad, because on the lower three strings that didn't fret out and I could at least check the intonation, it was much better than the stock, uncompensated saddle.
Thanks, Jeff, for this information! I'll have to give my Enya Nova Go a go to see what I find. As I've said earlier, given what the Enya Nova Go is right out of the box, I could live with the slight sharp intonation but I'm with you, if it can be made to be closer to right on, let's try it!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-13-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Well as fortune would have it while I was curious and looked a used x4 with the transacoustic setup showed up in Guitar Center. It is currently en route to my house.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Thanks, Jeff, for this information! I'll have to give my Enya Nova Go a go to see what I find. As I've said earlier, given what the Enya Nova Go is right out of the box, I could live with the slight sharp intonation but I'm with you, if it can be made to be closer to right on, let's try it!
I was really hoping that saddle would be a drop-in replacement. The TUSQ saddles that are taller are larger in the other dimensions as well, so more sanding all around. If I find one that works I'll let you know. I'm a first-timer at this so I posted in the build/repair forum for some help, though if you have an idea let me know. The stock saddle was 7/16" tall (.4375") and needed about .04" lowering. The GraphTech 9272 C0 I ordered from StewMac was only .313" high, but fit otherwise with the slightest sanding.
Old 08-13-2022, 08:02 PM

Great to see these Enyas getting some love and glad you are liking them Spruce! I was mowing the grass listening to video reviews of the X4 and was pretty impressed with the sound of it.

It is quite amazing to watch carbon fiber progress tonally, while simultaneously seeing a more accessible price point. There is obviously a market for this material and it is increasingly growing!
Old 08-14-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I've been thinking that the Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus is an Enya loss-leader product designed to bring players to audition and buy Enya guitars. Given the quality and tone of my recently acquired Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus guitar, and given the surely increased sales to come, IMHO this model will gradually increase in price to maybe double or more of its current $899.99 and less cost.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-14-2022 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well as fortune would have it while I was curious and looked a used x4 with the transacoustic setup showed up in Guitar Center. It is currently en route to my house.

That's Wonderful! If it's a "typical" example of this model, you will Love It! or my name ain't SpruceTop!

P.S. Unless it has already been done, you may need to tweak the neck relief. Both examples that I received were in a truss-rod, neutral position (little rotational resistance in either direction) with about .012" inches neck relief. I tweaked mine down to about .006" inches, and what a difference in playability with it now playing like buttah!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 08-14-2022, 03:07 PM

If the X4 or something similar could be had with a wider nut and saddle spacing I'm pretty sure I'd be buying one.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 08-14-2022, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's Wonderful! If it's a "typical" example of this model, you will Love It! or my name ain't SpruceTop!

P.S. Unless it has already been done, you may need to tweak the neck relief. Both examples that I received were in a truss-rod, neutral position (little rotational resistance in either direction) with about .012" inches neck relief. I tweaked mine down to about .006" inches, and what a difference in playability with it now playing like buttah!
Fully expect to do a setup. Very familiar with that procedure by now . Biggest issue for me is going to be the string spacing potentially. That and the overall weight. That is one thing the full Klos hybrid has going with a k&k in there it is right around 3.5 lbs which is crazy awesome.

Last edited by Aspiring; 08-14-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
I could see going outward on each side another .75mm (.030") max or .63 mm (.025") to be safe as far as not causing the two E strings to roll off the edges of the fretboard. This would actually suit me better as far as ease of thumb-fretting.

Many thanks for the insight.

35.5 + 0.75 + 0.75 = 37.00mm = 1.457”

35.5 + 0.63 + 0.75 = 36.88mm = 1.452”

About 1/32” narrower than typical 1.50” +/- string spacing of a 1 3/4” nut. Width of the D string.

Compared to the very wide choice amongst wood guitars, the choice amongst budget friendly DR / GA full size composite guitars is narrow (one). So would the option of using a new nut with wider spacing on an Enya X4 Pro be worthwhile to folks who prefer 1 3/4” nuts?

2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany

Last edited by casualmusic; 08-14-2022 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-14-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post

Hi Jeff

Perhaps a layer or two of credit card plastic will shim the new saddle to a workable height? Or the thickness of an under saddle piezo pickup?

Otherwise perhaps use the new saddle as a guide to file compensation ramps onto the original Enya Go saddle?

Cheers
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 08-19-2022, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Update from me:

I received my used x4 from guitar center last night.

Couple of initial impressions.

The transacoustic system is great. It really is useable and fun and adds to the experience. Vs my RT660 with attached Tonewood the Enya effects setup wins easily on sound quality volume of effects and ease of use. The Enya is also slightly lighter and better balanced than the RT with Tonewood attached.

The unexpected surprise for me was how cosmetically beat up the case showed (see attached photos). Not sure that gloss finish was the best choice for the product but again since it's used I have no idea what the case was subjected to. Good news is inside the case the guitar is still in great shape.

Playability and setup were very close
I did need to tighten the neck bolts. I have this set of drivers http://Bondhus 10687 Set of 7 Balldr...p_mob_ap_share
And they worked great for both the neck bolts and the truss rod.

The relief was a touch high for my liking but easily fixed with a small turn in the truss rod. Action is a little high but not bad. I will definitely lower slightly if I keep it. A couple of the nut slots are slightly high and it matches the spec of 43mm nut.

That said even with the above playability is still quite good.

Tone I am still making my mind on it. Not sure what the strings are as it is a used guitar. Volume and projection is very strong so very pleased with that.

Fit and finish does seem a couple steps better than my Journey RT.

Overall first impressions are pretty favorable.

Old 08-19-2022, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update from me:

I received my used x4 from guitar center last night.

Couple of initial impressions.

The transacoustic system is great. It really is useable and fun and adds to the experience. Vs my RT660 with attached Tonewood the Enya effects setup wins easily on sound quality volume of effects and ease of use. The Enya is also slightly lighter and better balanced than the RT with Tonewood attached.

The unexpected surprise for me was how cosmetically beat up the case showed (see attached photos). Not sure that gloss finish was the best choice for the product but again since it's used I have no idea what the case was subjected to. Good news is inside the case the guitar is still in great shape.

Playability and setup were very close
I did need to tighten the neck bolts. I have this set of drivers http://Bondhus 10687 Set of 7 Balldr...p_mob_ap_share
And they worked great for both the neck bolts and the truss rod.

The relief was a touch high for my liking but easily fixed with a small turn in the truss rod. Action is a little high but not bad. I will definitely lower slightly if I keep it. A couple of the nut slots are slightly high and it matches the spec of 43mm nut.

That said even with the above playability is still quite good.

Tone I am still making my mind on it. Not sure what the strings are as it is a used guitar. Volume and projection is very strong so very pleased with that.

Fit and finish does seem a couple steps better than my Journey RT.

Overall first impressions are pretty favorable.

I'm glad to hear your enthusiasm for your Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus pretty much matches mine. A few tweaks on yours and it could be a keeper. The glossy case is really nice quality for a guitar at this price range but as you've indicated, it'll scuff pretty easily.

Can you give us an idea of what you paid for your used Enya? Thanks.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 08-19-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm glad to hear your enthusiasm for your Enya X4 Pro AcousticPlus pretty much matches mine. A few tweaks on yours and it could be a keeper. The glossy case is really nice quality for a guitar at this price range but as you've indicated, it'll scuff pretty easily.

Can you give us an idea of what you paid for your used Enya? Thanks.
$625 plus tax and shipping for the x4 pro with effects etc (which was like $25 for ground via guitar center) and a pleasant surprise was they packed it extremely well and it had all cables and straps.

They advertised for condition of "very good" which I'd agree overall. It has definitely been used and there are some vey light scratches / play wear in the guitar finish.

The case however looked like this

IMG_20220819_113402806.jpgIMG_20220819_113244283.jpgIMG_20220819_113228720.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber