The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-06-2022, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
...I'm planning to grab a (discontinued) RainSong gig bag (I've got a source!) for it as well since I really hate hard cases!!
I agree, but would suggest you look into a Gator Transit as an alternative. They're much more substantial than the Rainsong bags...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-06-2022, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I agree, but would suggest you look into a Gator Transit as an alternative. They're much more substantial than the Rainsong bags...
I actually find myself preferring less 'substantial' gig bags for my CF guitars. All I really want/need is a heavy duty Cordura nylon with no padding. That plus one large pocket is enough. I have a Gator Ultimate Pro-Go and it's great as an alternative to a hard case for a nice wood guitar (I've used it to transport the Froggy Bottom) but since the CF guitars are so tough I feel anything with padding is just overkill on them. So I prefer less-is-more for them.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Yes, Joe, Thanks, I Got The Cool RainSong T-shirt! I wore it to Stutzman's Guitar Center on Friday when I bought my new RainSong BI-DR1000N2.
Cool, enjoy your new Black Ice!!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-06-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Methos is NOT jealous at all! Because - drum roll please - Methos pulled the trigger on his short scale Black Ice dread yesterday and will be getting it sometime mid-week next week!!

Methos is also a longtime owner of several RainSong guitars and still owns one of their very best! But I'm stoked to get the next one and compare and contrast our two very similar models with the only variation being the short vs long scales. AND I'm planning to grab a (discontinued) RainSong gig bag (I've got a source!) for it as well since I really hate hard cases!!

Is it weird that SpruceTop and I are in Rochester, NY and Rochester, NH, respectively? Great minds think - and geographically - think alike!!
Congrats on your new Black Ice too Methos! I'm curious how it compares to your Nashville. Look forward to your review.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 02-07-2022, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Methos, Congratulations on your RainSong Black Ice acquisition!

The RainSong Gig Bag was designed for the WS models but I've used it with the RainSong dreadnoughts. It's a bit of a snug fit but the bag works well for the dreads too.

Yes, the two Rochesters Rock! When I was a kid we spent many summer vacations at York Beach, Maine, so I'm familiar with the Rochester and Portsmouth, New Hampshire, area. Also, Dave Guard of the original Kingston Trio spent the last several years of his life working on a horse farm near Rollinsford, New Hampshire, before succumbing to cancer in 1991. He was good friends with The Shaw Brothers, a name you're probably familiar with?

Anyway, I have a Kingston Trio fan website that has a lot of information and history on the group: The Kingston Trio Place

Play On!

Ken
Great info on the RS gig bag. I was waiting for Ted to confirm a fit test but based on your opinion I went ahead and ordered one to get shipped so I can have it for gigs the week after this week.

Our beach destination is Wells, just a few towns up the coast from York. But we know York well, as well as all the coastal areas pretty much from Hampton all way up to Portland. These days we find ourselves riding our motorcycle more often on Maine's back roads with frequent detours into Wells, Ogunquit and Kennebunkport. And of course Portsmouth is a favorite destination. We'd live there if we could afford one of those swanky downtown condos right in the thick of things. Such a great town for music, art, theater and food.

I've heard of The Shaw Brothers and knew of Dave Guard of the Kingston Trio living in Rollinsford. I'll have to check out your website.

Quote:
I've got to say that now that I've had a chance to play this guitar's N2 neck for a while I actually like its feel. Thumb-fretting of the E-6th-string is pretty easy on this guitar and that is always a consideration for me when deciding to buy a guitar. Frankly, I find the neck on my Emerald X20 a bear to play on when doing thumb-fretting as the neck-width and thickness flare too quickly as I go up the neck. I love everything else about my Emerald X20.
I agree on the N2 neck. I really like it a lot. I used to be more picky about neck shapes and still have a few I'm not a super fan of but the RS N2 seems to fit me very well, especially on the Nashville Shorty. I'm hoping the BI-DR feels exactly the same.
Old 02-07-2022, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quite the cool looking guitar. I like the sharks. Congrats!
Old 02-08-2022, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Quite the cool looking guitar. I like the sharks. Congrats!
Thanks, Kevin! I've always liked the sharks, too, as they're a unique RainSong touch and harken to its heritage.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-27-2022, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I added a carbon fiber truss rod cover that I bought several years ago from Euphony which was run by an employee of MacNichol Guitars way back when the store had its Carbon Guitar Forum. The cover is super thin and eliminates the string deflection of the older and much thicker RainSong black-white-black laminate truss rod cover. Even the new and thinner, all-black cover that came on my new RainSong BI-DR1000N2 still deflected the strings a bit as they passed over it. The cover cost me $30 USD back around 2010. I'm not sure if the MacNichol employee (I can't remember his name but he demonstrated guitars on the MacNichol website) still has his Euphony company. I love the look and the better functionality of the carbon fiber truss rod cover and recommend getting one if it's still available.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 02-27-2022, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure if the MacNichol employee (I can't remember his name but he demonstrated guitars on the MacNichol website) still has his Euphony company. I love the look and the better functionality of the carbon fiber truss rod cover and recommend getting one if it's still available.
Sadly the interweb says no.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-27-2022, 05:10 PM

Maybe send an email to MacNichol.com.....they still make saddles and potentially could advise if the truss rod covers may still be available
Old 03-04-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Hey, this guitar doesn't sound too bad when amplified given its Element UST pickup! More to come ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-05-2022, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey, this guitar doesn't sound too bad when amplified given its Element UST pickup! More to come ...
I agree with you on this Sprucetop, I think the Element sounds real good with carbon fiber. I don't know why, perhaps it is the CF, my CH-OM sounds very good with the Element and barndoor preamp

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 03-06-2022, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Agreed. Although I bought mine primarily to be played for our all-acoustic shows, I wanted the Element StagePro system anyway. Because the signal is hotter than the Anthem StagePro in my Nashville OM, the Black Ice (with Element) pairs very well with the little Bose S1 Pro going straight in. I was very happy with the amplified tone.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Update: Today, I'm playing my recently-purchased RainSong BI-1000N2 through my Vox AGA150 acoustic amp at a distance of 6 feet away and it sounds really good. The LR Baggs Stage Pro Element system captures the sonic spectrum from bass to treble really well (something I thought I'd never post) and with excellent string-to-string balance. I'm leaving this guitar as is, as received from RainSong! I'm hearing the RainSong BI-DR1000N2/LR Baggs Element Stage Pro rig amplifying with a better-sounding tone than does my Emerald X20/LR Baggs Element VTC rig.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-10-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Update: Today, I'm playing my recently-purchased RainSong BI-1000N2 through my Vox AGA150 acoustic amp at a distance of 6 feet away and it sounds really good. The LR Baggs Stage Pro Element system captures the sonic spectrum from bass to treble really well (something I thought I'd never post) and with excellent string-to-string balance. I'm leaving this guitar as is, as received from RainSong! I'm hearing the RainSong BI-DR1000N2/LR Baggs Element Stage Pro rig amplifying with a better-sounding tone than does my Emerald X20/LR Baggs Element VTC rig.
Can't say I'm surprised. My Black Ice dread has become my primary guitar for ALL gigging, acoustic and amplified alike. I switched out the tuning machine buttons and the strap buttons but other than that it remains stock where it counts and I couldn't be happier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber