The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-23-2019, 09:18 AM

Question This Acus One-AD this thing looks like the "Roy"

What is the story guy's... Happy Christmas !!!

I jus day dreaming here about gettting a Roy in the new year an I came across this thing... ?

https://youtu.be/WUnj2PQsgwQ

https://www.thomann.de/ie/acus_one_a...oaAtq9EALw_wcB

Couple of question's I know the Roy has (i think) 5 x Bang an olaf grade A amps in it... and a top of the range mixer..

What Amps are in this thing, it's clear it is designed to look like the "Roy" but just how similar is it I wonder ?

Also what mixer is in this, an is it the same or as good as the one in the Roy I wonder ?

It's a lot cheaper and can be mounted on a stand without any modification to boot.

Best Regards from Ireland :-)
Jay

Edit: I have been speaking with Acus and Schertler... The Acus One AD is a true "analogue" AMP, while the Scherlter Roy is not, it's Digital although the transformer is placed after the AMP to improve sound. But the more I look at it the more appealing the Acus One-AD is and also cheaper... Interested to hear your thoughts guy's.

Last edited by JayMc; 12-23-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just a couple of points. The Schertler uses a Bang & Olufson digital power amp that alone sells for over $700.00
Schertler spares no expense and makes no compromises in any of their products. I think the results speak for themselves.
Also, if you look at the back of the Acus, it has no heat sink. An analog amplifier must have a heat sink for cooling, small fans are not sufficient to dissipate the kind of heat generated.
Ultimately, your ears will not lie to you. Try them both for yourself.

The Schertler DAVID: the second member of Schertler's "next generation" acoustic amplifier series
Old 12-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertler USA View Post
Just a couple of points. The Schertler uses a Bang & Olufson digital power amp that alone sells for over $700.00
Schertler spares no expense and makes no compromises in any of their products. I think the results speak for themselves.
Also, if you look at the back of the Acus, it has no heat sink. An analog amplifier must have a heat sink for cooling, small fans are not sufficient to dissipate the kind of heat generated.
Ultimately, your ears will not lie to you. Try them both for yourself.
The OP's link goes to a unit with one of those multiple fin thingys on the back--is that not a heat sink?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heatsink.jpg (47.1 KB, 293 views)
Old 12-23-2019, 12:28 PM

I believe it is a Heat-Sink...

I have further details guy's... check it:

https://www.acus-sound.it/en/prodott...ad-detail.html

It say's under Techinical specs, "System Format = Biamp 2 vie"

I have spoken with the guy in Schertler and told him I was looking at this other "true analogue" AMP, he did not argue and didn't say it wasn't (which I'm sure he would have if it was not the case)... He went on to say they are their direct competitors. He also pointed me towards a Schertler solution for thrue analogue sound costing a lot more I might add..

Upon speaking with Acus, the guy told me they used to a part of Schertler but split from them, and that the Acus One-AD was out before the "Roy"... and they are very happy with the design... hence no new model yet... He took great joy in pointing out that the "Roy" is Digital and their solution is a "True Analogue" Acoustic Amp.

I am trying to research the specs inside the Acus but I may as well be looking into a trash can... can someone who knows something about AMP Tech have a close look at those specs pls....

After saying that I am excited this thing looks like it is a beast... I can plug Analogue Turntable into it and an additional speaker (or two lol), while I am not jamming on it that is ;~)

Last edited by JayMc; 12-23-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, I can tell you this: I own TWO Acus OneForStrings8 and love them, although there is a slight difference in the control board (one is two years old, the other more recent) both sound fantastic. I am considering buying the 10 but also considering the Roy. In both cases there is certainly a weight factor for an old guy like me. The Roy weighs 48 pounds, yikes. My Acus 8's come in at just under 30. Not sure about the Acus 10 but I will check that out. All I know for sure is the sound that I get from the 8 surpasses EVERY acoustic amp I've ever heard or tried. Not cheap but after many years of looking for the perfect guitar that hasn't been built yet (!) and untold thousands of $$$ in my search, now my quest is the best possible amplified sound. I would be interested in hearing from someone who's played the ACUS 10 and the Roy side-by-side........
Old 12-23-2019, 01:01 PM

I know that the Roy has all Class A preamps.

One thing that is simply amazing about the Roy is how full the sound is at low levels. At barely a whisper the Roy has full bass response that you can feel and absolute clarity. It sounds like a subwoofer system. The MTM design gives low end response which combines the surface areas of the two eight inch speakers to reproduce lows like a sixteen inch woofer. It sounds wonderful on my acoustic bass.

On the mic, it can be difficult to determine where the acoustic sound ends and the amplified sound begins. I've had the experience of pulling away from the mic because I've thought that my voice was loud enough acoustically, only to hear the voice level drop and realize that what I thought was acoustic voice was in fact significantly amplified. I use an Audix OM5 with the Roy and the vocal sound is spectacular: absolutely clear and crisp!
Old 12-23-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I was noodling around about this unit and see an Acus One AD for Strings indeed does not have a heat sink, so perhaps this is what our Schertler/AGF sponsor had in mind.

https://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/A...mp-p/12339.htm

(The word order is a bit different and I'm not going to try to untangle all of that).
Old 12-23-2019, 07:54 PM

Default This Acus One-AD this thing looks like the "Roy"

My acus 5T has a heat sink, as for the preamps, you can hear slight noise when you turn it all the way up. Not sure what constitutes class A preamps, but this amp suffices for my needs. (Basically bedroom looping and noodling )
However, the sound is so so good, I actually chose it over the AER 60 I initially wanted. (Budget was not a factor)
Old 01-01-2020, 05:34 PM

Actually it does have a heatsink. It is a true analogue amp !

Look at the back of it here: https://www.acus-sound.it/en/prodott...ad-detail.html
Old 01-31-2020, 09:42 AM

I agree and I think this is the amp for me... the AD not the 10...

There was a guy on hear complaining about the Roy and he didn't like the way his vocals sounded on it... I believe that is because it is digital/.. it's messing with the sound converting through DAC an then back to analogue out the speaker... never as good as a true analogue.

That is why I have to decided to get this one instead and it is cheaper too so happy day's. There is a review from guitar magazine on YT an the guy genuinely seams blown away with actually a smaller cheaper one but still I see the fins on the back of it as it is still a true analogue.. so I am liking these guy's style... plus they are not paying a brand name to source there componants they are buying their PCB's etc direct themselves and assembling the amp from scratch... which is kinda more impressive and cheaper leaving room for more quality parts in the specs etc.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
I’m a bit confused with this nomenclature. I see a “one for strings” series.
Is there a difference between this “ad” and the “10”
Old 02-01-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I was noodling around about this unit and see an Acus One AD for Strings indeed does not have a heat sink, so perhaps this is what our Schertler/AGF sponsor had in mind.

https://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/A...mp-p/12339.htm

(The word order is a bit different and I'm not going to try to untangle all of that).
Quote:
Actually it does have a heatsink. It is a true analogue amp !

Look at the back of it here: https://www.acus-sound.it/en/prodott...ad-detail.html
So yes these appear to be two different amps . On the back one says ad. With heat sink.
The other says 10. No heat sink.
Yet I can’t find the 10 on their website has it been discontinued/replaced by the ad.?
The speaker/port placement is different.
The specs appear to be the same.
Are there USA distributors??

Last edited by varmonter; 02-01-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 06:59 AM

Dusting off an old post here. At this point, in 2022...does anyone know if the Acus AD is truly an analog amplifier? I found that it has phantom power, but is it 48 volt? If anyone owns, or has owned the AD can you share your thoughts? Does the amp do well with vocals?
Thanks in advance..
Old 11-25-2022, 04:13 PM

Quote:

There was a guy on hear complaining about the Roy and he didn't like the way his vocals sounded on it... I believe that is because it is digital/.. it's messing with the sound converting through DAC an then back to analogue out the speaker... never as good as a true analogue.

That is why I have to decided to get this one instead and it is cheaper too so happy day's. There is a review from guitar magazine on YT an the guy genuinely seams blown away with actually a smaller cheaper one but still I see the fins on the back of it as it is still a true analogue.. so I am liking these guy's style... plus they are not paying a brand name to source there componants they are buying their PCB's etc direct themselves and assembling the amp from scratch... which is kinda more impressive and cheaper leaving room for more quality parts in the specs etc.
Looking at this amp (AD) what do you recon after a while with it?
Old 11-25-2022, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
Dusting off an old post here. At this point, in 2022...does anyone know if the Acus AD is truly an analog amplifier? I found that it has phantom power, but is it 48 volt? If anyone owns, or has owned the AD can you share your thoughts? Does the amp do well with vocals?
Thanks in advance..
I have one. It is great with vocals. The phantom power is 48v. At one time, I even knew how many milliamps it would handle I probably have it written down somewhere. It will run a condenser mic.

I have no idea if it is truly analog or how to tell. It does have a heat sink on the back. It sounds fantastic on vocals as well as with guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification