The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-03-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Is Your Heart Set on a Custom Wingert?

You have three months to get your custom order in. Kathy announced on Facebook this weekend that she will no longer be taking custom guitar orders come January 2023. She'll still build guitars to her chosen specs using the great stash of wood choices that she has on hand, but if you want to have a say in custom options, now's your chance.
As a customer of Kathy's - she built a stellar Model E for me back in 2004 (my main guitar) and I still play the OO that I purchased used in 2003, I can't speak highly enough of both her guitars and the process of working with her. I know that there are a lot of respected and experienced luthiers available but Kathy brings her expertise, unique voice, and musical experience as a player to every instrument.
If you have your heart set on a Wingert, it's worth checking in with her! I did and I couldn't be happier with the result.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-03-2022, 05:02 PM
Humanist

Indeed.

Kathy currently has a fabulous spec instrument for sale (Model E, OM-ish) for sale currently, Madagascar/German Spruce.

I'm sorely tempted...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-04-2022, 01:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Indeed.

Kathy currently has a fabulous spec instrument for sale (Model E, OM-ish) for sale currently, Madagascar/German Spruce.

I'm sorely tempted...
I just looked up that guitar, Larry. It will have some serious mojo.

Then I went and played own my Wingert E, in Maddie and Engelmann, the one I dreamed about having for ten years before I actually owned it. I could not ask for a nicer guitar, or a nicer person to work with as it was being built. NGD thread here - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=480228

And if you have something unique or different in mind, talk to Kathy. Her first guitar for me was just that; after she agreed to finish the construction of a baritone that Lance McCollum had been building for me when he passed away. To say that guitar (the “McWingert”) is special would be a major understatement.

I think I’ll buy a lottery ticket Jayne, and see if I can book another build!
Old 10-04-2022, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
I just looked up that guitar, Larry. It will have some serious mojo.

Then I went and played own my Wingert E, in Maddie and Engelmann, the one I dreamed about having for ten years before I actually owned it. I could not ask for a nicer guitar, or a nicer person to work with as it was being built. NGD thread here - https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=480228

And if you have something unique or different in mind, talk to Kathy. Her first guitar for me was just that; after she agreed to finish the construction of a baritone that Lance McCollum had been building for me when he passed away. To say that guitar (the “McWingert”) is special would be a major understatement.

I think I’ll buy a lottery ticket Jayne, and see if I can book another build!

Buying a lottery ticket is a great idea, Colin. And it’s great to hear about the McWingert. Kathy and Lance became good friends and she appreciated his input when she would run into a building challenge or design idea.
My E is her fave German Spruce/Cocobolo combo but every Wingert I have had a chance to play that had Madagascar for back and sides sounded sublime. So, yes, probably some serious mojo there.
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-05-2022, 09:26 AM

Kathy built a Model E shade Top that is perfect.
Started the build 11/21 and took a year but well worth the wait!
Old 10-07-2022, 12:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbike View Post
Kathy built a Model E shade Top that is perfect.
Started the build 11/21 and took a year but well worth the wait!
Congratulations! Don't suppose we can talk you into posting a pic or two.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

A shade top E?
Yes, a photo or two would be nice 👌

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 10-09-2022, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Yes, please, pictures!
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-10-2022, 03:31 AM

Look on her face book page, she posted very nice photo's of the shade top E
Old 10-10-2022, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Wow! Beautiful guitar, Ken. If it sounds anything like it looks, it’s a winner. And, those tone woods in Kathy’s hands, I imagine can create some stunning music. What kinds of music are you playing on this beauty?
Best,
Jayne
Old 10-11-2022, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It looks fantastic! And so different to mine. I imagine you are getting a lot of enjoyment out of it
Old 10-12-2022, 03:25 AM

The E Kathy built is wonderful! I just a average player at best but really enjoy quality guitars. Play a mix of folk and 60's songs. Will try to have Kevin who does guitar lessons play it and record to post.
I have a 2008 Model E with a repaired crack in the top for the past 6 years and really enjoyed so decide to have the current E shade top.
Old 10-21-2022, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The E Kathy built is wonderful! I just a average player at best but really enjoy quality guitars. Play a mix of folk and 60's songs. Will try to have Kevin who does guitar lessons play it and record to post.

I have a 2008 Model E with a repaired crack in the top for the past 6 years and really enjoyed so decide to have the current E shade top.

Would love to hear a recording, Ken. Thanks.
Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop