The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-05-2022, 11:28 AM

I've played to varying tempo maps quite a bit and draw in the tempo changes before recording.

Another way to get the same result if your DAW is capable and your tempo doesn't vary to the extreme, is to record to a constant tempo and then program in the tempo later. I use Cubase/Nuendo and this will work on both MIDI and audio tracks.
Old 10-05-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Has anyone recorded to a click with a tempo map? I'm thinking about pre-programming the tempo changes into the click track. Pros? Cons? Things to look out for? Terrible idea?
Yes, I've done this. As others have mentioned, if you are comfortable with playing to a click, you should have no issues.

Depending on the tune, you might need to program an accelerando/rallentando instead of a simple change in tempo. That often produces a more musical outcome.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-05-2022, 09:05 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
.. For solo guitar, I practice to a click/metronome, then generally record without one.
Me too. And I wanted to add also that for both duos and solo, the one thing that I do almost every time, is listen to the click (on the 2 & 4 unless it's a waltz) on my phone for a few minutes while I'm setting up, and another few minutes noodling along with it until I/we feel very settled into it, and turning it off just before starting the tune. And then if I need to do another take I'll do that again, so that if for some reason I need to borrow a chuck of another take for some connective tissue the odds are good it'll gonna match up

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD